Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 12:06 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,177,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Yes, it was after fasting. One of the results of my lipid profile.
Wait a minute here. You are 141 fasting? Andyou are asking what the doctor is trying to pull? You are a full blown diabetic.. if you don't want to take Metformin, find something else and soon. Get another A1C you may well be a 7.5 or higher. As a reference 141 is about a 6.7...and that is at your LOWEST POINT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Boy it sure seems to be today more than any time in history. How did all the generations before us ever get thru their long lives. I know of some with issues work with Berberine and you can find info in this area too on those who have used it...it's otc. Cut way back on carbs and sugars...for starters.
UMMMM...THEY didn't. They lost limbs and died younger...and SUFFERED. Metformin for one can add 5 or 10 years to your life. However, with type 2 diabetes, its all controllable usually without meds by eating DECENTLY. No need to be a freak about sugar...just be smart. But MOST important is daily exercise where you get that blood pumping for 20-30 minutes...and i dont mean a slow walk. IF YOU GET YOUR HEART RATE UP YOUR MUSCLES produce INSULIN.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:10 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,735,590 times
Quote:
Yes, it was after fasting. One of the results of my lipid profile.
Well, then it would be assumed to be higher after eating.

Sounds like unless you have reason to believe you can make a big reduction through change in diet (like you've been over-indulging regularly in strawberry cheesecake), you may have to go along with their program, at least for a while. Like I have to with my blood pressure, dragged kicking and screaming. I hate being on these drugs, especially the beta-blocker. But I'm not ready to die anytime soon and I must admit they are probably (hopefully) helping me.

The background underlying my post #2 is that I had to try 3 different practitioners before I found one that wasn't hell bent on branding me a diabetic. The first two fed me any line they thought they could get away with, like a 108 glucose an hour after eating is "pre-diabetic". The "pre-diabetic" label having been invented, of course, to help condition as many as possible to the idea of diabetes meds in their future. To grease the path to ever-increasing profits.

I was lucky with the third, a group that is honest with me and works with me respectfully. They looked at my numbers, typically 104-118 non-fasting, and the subject of diabetes has never even come up.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

Sounds like unless you have reason to believe you can make a big reduction through change in diet (like you've been over-indulging regularly in strawberry cheesecake), you may have to go along with their program, at least for a while. Like I have to with my blood pressure, dragged kicking and screaming. I hate being on these drugs, especially the beta-blocker. But I'm not ready to die anytime soon and I must admit they are probably (hopefully) helping me.

The background underlying my post #2 is that I had to try 3 different practitioners before I found one that wasn't hell bent on branding me a diabetic. The first two fed me any line they thought they could get away with, like a 108 glucose an hour after eating is "pre-diabetic". The "pre-diabetic" label having been invented, of course, to help condition as many as possible to the idea of diabetes meds in their future. To grease the path to ever-increasing profits.

I was lucky with the third, a group that is honest with me and works with me respectfully. They looked at my numbers, typically 104-118 non-fasting, and the subject of diabetes has never even come up.
I agree.. any A1C under 6.3 or so ..you are good. At 6.5 you need to work at it. These doctors are CLEARLY pushing the meds and OFFICE VISITS. A blood glucose fasting under 115 is acceptable..ideally 100-110. But these FOOLS who give up sugar and dedicate their whole lives to diabetes prevention just because a doc said 5.8 a1c IS "PRE - DIABETIC" is a joke.

That said if you are over 6.5 get help . and get smart about exercise and eating...IF YOU DON'T, it will take you younger and make later life miserable.

Last edited by jp03; 06-03-2018 at 01:22 PM..

Old 06-04-2018, 02:55 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,855,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Wait a minute here. You are 141 fasting? Andyou are asking what the doctor is trying to pull? You are a full blown diabetic.. if you don't want to take Metformin, find something else and soon. Get another A1C you may well be a 7.5 or higher. As a reference 141 is about a 6.7...and that is at your LOWEST POINT.
The reason why I distrust the doctor is because of my low~A1c range~4.3-5.6%. When I told family members that, after reading my test results(some who are familiar with such things) said that is NOT the range of a Diabetic which is exactly what the 'My Chart' report said.

Admittedly I have not told them my glucose number, because I had not found it in the reports until yesterday. I didn't even know where to look,since Glucose didn't just jump out at me, on the titles of the reports. Then I just happened to think that the lipid profile is from all those tubes of blood they took(4) so it would probably be there, which it was. All these tests were taken on the same day.

I am not a huge sweet eater. My weakness is carbs. Never met a potato I didn't like..... pizza and pasta,are also a weakness.It is going to be a drastic change to eliminate those from my life-long love affair.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:00 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,855,917 times
Quote:

I really appreciate all the info. I know I will have to make a huge change to a low-card diet and try to exercise more, which is difficult when I have COPD, and am unsteady on my feet.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:57 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,984,272 times
Quote:

My former doctors never mentioned diabetes to me either, not for years, even though my fasting sugar was quite high. I don't see how that's "respectfully" treating a patient; it's more like neglectfully ignoring a patient. During those years, I suspected that I was diabetic but since they never officially diagnosed me as such, I went along my merry way with high blood sugar and no treatment. I was actually relieved when my current doctors finally gave me the diagnosis and addressed the issue. One of my sisters is in the same situation, has had high fasting sugars for years with still no official diagnosis for her, and she prefers to remain that way, pretending all is well.

A doctor ignoring your diabetes isn't doing you any favors.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:04 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,784,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I agree.. any A1C under 6.3 or so ..you are good. At 6.5 you need to work at it. These doctors are CLEARLY pushing the meds and OFFICE VISITS. A blood glucose fasting under 115 is acceptable..ideally 100-110. But these FOOLS who give up sugar and dedicate their whole lives to diabetes prevention just because a doc said 5.8 a1c IS "PRE - DIABETIC" is a joke.

That said if you are over 6.5 get help . and get smart about exercise and eating...IF YOU DON'T, it will take you younger and make later life miserable.
There is nothing FOOLISH about reducing/cutting way back on sugars and carbs for many reasons not only diabetes...stay out of many types of doctors offices...We are a sugar polluted country and doctors/dentists make good livings from this "satan". Eat tangerines and apples.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:07 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,784,983 times
Quote:
I really appreciate all the info. I know I will have to make a huge change to a low-card diet and try to exercise more, which is difficult when I have COPD, and am unsteady on my feet.
Some of us just cannot exercise vigorously for reasons like advanced arthritis which I'm afflicted with, but prior to the advancing OA, I was the exercise queen...and since hip replacement my body is very unstable...we try to fix one thing and other things go out.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:16 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,735,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
My former doctors never mentioned diabetes to me either, not for years, even though my fasting sugar was quite high. I don't see how that's "respectfully" treating a patient; it's more like neglectfully ignoring a patient. During those years, I suspected that I was diabetic but since they never officially diagnosed me as such, I went along my merry way with high blood sugar and no treatment. I was actually relieved when my current doctors finally gave me the diagnosis and addressed the issue. One of my sisters is in the same situation, has had high fasting sugars for years with still no official diagnosis for her, and she prefers to remain that way, pretending all is well.

A doctor ignoring your diabetes isn't doing you any favors.

A totally irrelevant straw-man response that serves no constructive purpose in the context of the discussion. I don't have diabetes. Period.

By all means, continue pretending all is well with an industry that has incorporated the manufacturing and aggressive marketing of new illness into its business plan.

And look elsewhere for the argument you seek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes