Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 02:38 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,859,738 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My doctor left my area so I had to get a new doctor. She told me according to my past labs that I am diabetic. I was shocked since I had never been told this before. Well she had me get labs, and I registered for "My Chart" which emails me my test results, appt. reminders and such. According to the test results, my A1c range is what I put in my subject line, and the site even said that a range in the 5.7-6.4% range are at increased risk for development of diabetes and a range that is equal or greater than 6.5% is considered diagnostic of Diabetes.

Since I am not even in the lowest range, what the heck is this doctor trying to pull? She already prescribed Metformin as well, but in the 3 weeks I have been taking it my legs have become so week that I now have trouble getting up the 6 steps to exit my apartment! The top step is especially difficult to manage, so I stopped that medication yesterday, since I have an appt. to see her tomorrow to discuss my tests results.
I am curious to see how she explains my low A1c,and if she still claims I am diabetic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 03:28 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,742,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Hi everyone. My doctor left my area so I had to get a new doctor. She told me according to my past labs that I am diabetic. I was shocked since I had never been told this before. Well she had me get labs, and I registered for "My Chart" which emails me my test results, appt. reminders and such. According to the test results, my A1c range is what I put in my subject line, and the site even said that a range in the 5.7-6.4% range are at increased risk for development of diabetes and a range that is equal or greater than 6.5% is considered diagnostic of Diabetes.

Since I am not even in the lowest range, what the heck is this doctor trying to pull? She already prescribed Metformin as well, but in the 3 weeks I have been taking it my legs have become so week that I now have trouble getting up the 6 steps to exit my apartment! The top step is especially difficult to manage, so I stopped that medication yesterday, since I have an appt. to see her tomorrow to discuss my tests results.
I am curious to see how she explains my low A1c,and if she still claims I am diabetic!
What is your blood glucose?

Diabetes is big business....and many practitioners sell it like door-to-door window salesmen. Unless your blood glucose is high, get a new doctor. If you really need one, that is.

More than ever, you're better off doing your own research and making your own decisions. The "health care" industry's agenda has very little in common with yours.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

Diabetes is big business....and many practitioners sell it like door-to-door window salesmen. Unless your blood glucose is high, get a new doctor. If you really need one, that is.

More than ever, you're better off doing your own research and making your own decisions. The "health care" industry's agenda has very little in common with yours.

My blood glucose is 141, so that is high. I am surprised that she didn't even advise getting a test kit.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:46 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,183,273 times
Quote:

Is your blood glucose 141 at fasting(morning) ? or after meal. Also, I have NEVER heard of anyone becoming weak after taking metformin..thats a first. I've heard stomach issues.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
My blood glucose is 141, so that is high. I am surprised that she didn't even advise getting a test kit.
Yes, the reading normalcy (or not) depends on its relativity to eating. Soon after eating, that would be perfectly normal. If that's fasting, yes, it's high.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Is your blood glucose 141 at fasting(morning) ? or after meal. Also, I have NEVER heard of anyone becoming weak after taking metformin..thats a first. I've heard stomach issues.

Since that was part of my lipid profile done, yes it was at fasting.
Actually, from my search, there are several people who have complained of weakness being a side effect of taking metformin. It is listed as an uncommon side effect.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, the reading normalcy (or not) depends on its relativity to eating. Soon after eating, that would be perfectly normal. If that's fasting, yes, it's high.

Yes, it was after fasting. One of the results of my lipid profile.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:42 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,987,396 times
Why are you asking us instead of your doctor??

As a personal anecdote, I can tell you that I've never had weakness or anything else associated with metformin, just GI upset until I got used to the med.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:19 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,799,930 times
Quote:

Boy it sure seems to be today more than any time in history. How did all the generations before us ever get thru their long lives. I know of some with issues work with Berberine and you can find info in this area too on those who have used it...it's otc. Cut way back on carbs and sugars...for starters.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Boy it sure seems to be today more than any time in history. How did all the generations before us ever get thru their long lives. I know of some with issues work with Berberine and you can find info in this area too on those who have used it...it's otc. Cut way back on carbs and sugars...for starters.
Yep....'cause it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes