Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 03:01 PM

34,258 posts, read 19,240,314 times

Advertisements

OK I am a couple days in. And...this is insanely helpful. A meal I thought was not too bad....clearly is very very very bad. I had tested a couple times after it but at a guess missed the resulting spike. Its dramatic, and has probably done horrible things to me. Im never eating it again. Plus I can see I get some pretty hardcore spikes 4 hours into my sleep schedule, so now I can experiment to see what helps avoid those as well.

This is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 07:27 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,096,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readrbuff2018 View Post
im guessing no one has tried the new freestyle libre since I got no replies. oh well thanks anyway, have a nice day all.
I see this thread is 4 months old but I just come across it. FreeStyle Libre is to me expensive without Insurance to help pay for it. Problem is to have Insurance, Medicare help cover some of the cost the patient has to be on the insulin pump so I was told. Also its not even in the durable medical part of Medicare. It's such a shame there isn't a limit to how much a Company can charge.

It sucks too that a prescription is needed just to monitor the blood sugar. My SIL got hers through medicare an my other SIL refuses to use it but then she isn't on the insulin pump so affording it would be very expensive for her both are Medicare age too.

Old 12-01-2021, 05:02 AM

8,804 posts, read 4,458,741 times
I only test once a day, and the Walmart test strip is about 20 cents, so I'm just gonna stick with that.

Old 12-27-2021, 05:58 PM
ERH

1,696 posts, read 2,511,387 times
This thread is actually several years old.

I thought the Libre was the best thing to come along until I started comparing the Libre results to manual testing. The numbers are NOT RELIABLE (in my case), so I switched back to manual and have had greater success.

Old 12-27-2021, 07:34 PM

398 posts, read 203,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
OK I am a couple days in. And...this is insanely helpful. A meal I thought was not too bad....clearly is very very very bad. I had tested a couple times after it but at a guess missed the resulting spike. Its dramatic, and has probably done horrible things to me. Im never eating it again. Plus I can see I get some pretty hardcore spikes 4 hours into my sleep schedule, so now I can experiment to see what helps avoid those as well.

This is great.
I want the thing but I am afraid constant knowledge of BG could drive me crazy with worry.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:34 AM

22,579 posts, read 24,396,578 times
I just bought a Contour Next One off Ebay for about $8 total, free shipping. It is supposed to be one of the more accurate meters out there...only needs a tiny amount of blood and readings come up in about 5-seconds.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:01 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,096,344 times
I am so sick of pricking my fingers. I even tried the one where I can prick my arm. even that is a pain in the wazoo. Maybe someday I will be able to afford that libre 14 day one. It just seems much easier to just put my cell phone up next to it and it's done.

I might not like it having to be more aware of my numbers because then I can't eat what I want when I want without thinking about how high my sugar is. right now it's high no matter what because of the damn covid. Plus now I'm getting my sense of taste back so I ordered pizza today. I will probably never get to have that again or at least for another 5 to 10 years. But what a treat to have I think if covid doesn't kill me or the flu then diabetes eventually will so I hope to get few good treats in before I have to give it all up. I was told by my Mother that when I get older my appetite won't be so high. Hmm I'm in my early 60's so how much longer to want to eat less? LOL I bet never.

Old 02-26-2023, 10:07 AM

10,435 posts, read 7,537,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
This thread is actually several years old.

I thought the Libre was the best thing to come along until I started comparing the Libre results to manual testing. The numbers are NOT RELIABLE (in my case), so I switched back to manual and have had greater success.
In what way was it not reliable?

I just started the Libre 2 yesterday. So far my blood sugar hasn't fluctuated much at all. The bad news is that it's always over 100.

Old 02-26-2023, 01:09 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,629,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
In what way was it not reliable?

I just started the Libre 2 yesterday. So far my blood sugar hasn't fluctuated much at all. The bad news is that it's always over 100.
I have the Libre 3 and the first night and only the first night it has given me a few false going low alarms when I put on new ones. I am thinking about starting new ones in the morning instead of at night to see if it changes anything.

Mine is very rarely under 100. I have had mine for 42 days and my average is 134. My first doctors appointment since getting it is a little over a week away and can't wait to see how close the Libre 3 is to the blood work at the doctors office.

It has to be as close or closer than stabbing myself. Those stick tests are only within 15% so they are really not very accurate at all.

Old 02-26-2023, 02:38 PM

10,435 posts, read 7,537,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I have the Libre 3 and the first night and only the first night it has given me a few false going low alarms when I put on new ones. I am thinking about starting new ones in the morning instead of at night to see if it changes anything.

Mine is very rarely under 100. I have had mine for 42 days and my average is 134. My first doctors appointment since getting it is a little over a week away and can't wait to see how close the Libre 3 is to the blood work at the doctors office.

It has to be as close or closer than stabbing myself. Those stick tests are only within 15% so they are really not very accurate at all.
Thanks. I look forward to your update after the office blood work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes