Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 07:19 PM

7,192 posts, read 5,047,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Just got back from the doc for my quarterly checkup. Met the goal for A1C, so I'm on the right track..... He lowered my Glipizide dosage.

Because A1c can be considered a measure of your "average" BS, you might be running pretty high much of the time, but that's countered by your frequent bouts of hypoglycemia. Having your head in an oven and your feet in a freezer might give you a normal "average temp," but your head & feet are still in bad spots.

Insulin AND glipizide? You might wanna ask your doc why?... Glipizide works by telling your pancreas to put out more insulin. If it can't make enuff insulin to get your BS down and you have to resort to insulin injections, why not just forget the glip and go with all insulin which can then be titrated easily? The glip works a little erratically, making the insulin dosage always doubtful....just a suggestion; my logic on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 05:41 PM

9,515 posts, read 16,461,434 times
There hasn't been any activity on this thread so I will add one.

I am surprised a Doctor would prescribe glipizide to someone on insulin. Glipizide is notorious for lowering glucose more than we want. Although some don't seem to develop that problem. So
with insulin and glipizide the chance of low sugar is quite high for some patients.

Its like I always say. Its a shame but true. We have to be our own Doctor in today's world.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:29 AM

16,396 posts, read 12,420,567 times
Another suggestion (despite it being an old thread ...)

Check with your doctor and ins co. to see if a Dexcom G6 would be an option for you. Since you’re concerned about dangerous lows while you’re sleeping, having something that can alert you to those lows may be helpful.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:19 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,441,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
There hasn't been any activity on this thread so I will add one.

I am surprised a Doctor would prescribe glipizide to someone on insulin. Glipizide is notorious for lowering glucose more than we want. Although some don't seem to develop that problem. So
with insulin and glipizide the chance of low sugar is quite high for some patients.

Its like I always say. Its a shame but true. We have to be our own Doctor in today's world.
Glipizide is one of the older ones, known to cause pancreatic b-cell burn out. It forces your pancreas to produce more insulin, this is how it lowers glucose. IMO, taking this with insulin is dangerous. I would bring it to his attention. I've never been on insulin, only meds. I am down to just metformin and diet and doing well. I don't think I would ever want to be on insulin unless I absolutely had to. The goal should be to lower blood sugar AND insulin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes