Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 05:15 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times

Advertisements

I guess I should be thankful that my body is waking itself up. Seems the past few weeks, I awake in the middle of the night several times a week due to low blood sugar. Just a half hour ago, it read 65.

After the second time, I sent my results to my doctor and he reduced my dosage of Tresiba, (slow-release insulin). We've lowered it three times since that first time. At least I have an appointment with him first think on Monday. Maybe he/we can figure out what's going on. Only recent change is that I've ramped up my exercise routine. Even so, I didn't exercise yesterday, so I'm befuddled as to why my latest reading is so low.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 05:37 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Do you eat a little snack with protein before going to bed?

Old 09-29-2018, 07:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Eat some carbs before going to bed eg a cookie or slice of bread with peanut butter, hope you are keeping a roll of sugar pills close by your bed at night.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Do you eat a little snack with protein before going to bed?
I actually did last night. Been trying to shed a few pounds, so am not "pigging out" anymore. I think what I need to do is eat smaller meals, but more frequently. And jambo101, a pb on toast sounds like something I'll try. Good suggestion.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:16 AM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
A glass of orange juice with boost your blood sugar pretty quick.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:44 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Weight loss and exercise both reduce your insulin requirement. You and your doc are on the right track. Hi BS will take 20 yrs to kill you; low BS will take 20 seconds to kill you. It sounds like you need to be more aggressive in reducing doses. You can always go back up if you reduce too fast.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:53 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I actually did last night. Been trying to shed a few pounds, so am not "pigging out" anymore. I think what I need to do is eat smaller meals, but more frequently. And jambo101, a pb on toast sounds like something I'll try. Good suggestion.
You hit the nail right on the head. Without something to raise your blood sugar, the thing that normally lowers it will bring it down too low. The treatment should suit the diet. If you eat lower carb you need a lower dose. That being said, sometimes things don't go as planned.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:49 PM

Just got back from the doc for my quarterly checkup. Met the goal for A1C, so I'm on the right track. (But I sure do miss ice cream.) Waking up with low blood sugar happened again last night. I didn't wake up because of the low bs, but because of a "bad dream", (and I "never" remember dreams upon waking - ever since my Navy days.). Out of curiosity, checked my bs and it was low, but not dangerously low like recently.

The doctor agreed with me lowering my dosage on my own to the current level, but he also did something else. He lowered my Glipizide dosage. I've been on 20mg twice a day and we're going to go to 10mg twice a day. He surprised me when he said that "nobody" likes prescribing Glipizide! A well-known side effect is that it can drive blood sugar too low. He said that doctors go ahead and prescribe it, even though they don't like to, because it is so inexpensive.

I asked why we don't just get rid of it and he said that it still has beneficial effects. So, lower we go. He also signed me up for an education class. I've had those before, and usually turn the suggestion down, but this time he wants me to find out what type of snacks I should have before exercising.

- - -

I'm really getting to like this doctor. Had a terrible time finding a doctor who accepts new Medicare patients. Finally found this one through a neighbor referral who is only accepting new diabetic patients. At first, I didn't like his style at all. He started changing things all over.

But now, I really feel like he is letting me be part of the team on managing my health. My blood pressure runs a little high, (family history of hypertension). I've been on a low dose med for a couple of years now, but the numbers still run a bit high. In discussing what to do, he actually let me make the decision about starting a new medicine to help control the blood pressure. After taking a moment to consider my reflecting on my family's health history, I agreed to try this new medicine. But I really felt he left the decision up to me. That makes me feel "good".

- - -

p.s. Thanks all for the help and suggestions. I don't normally hang out here in this sub-forum. You "guys" are helpful, unlike a lot of the C-D forums. A collective kudos to you all.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:01 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
I guess I should be thankful that my body is waking itself up. Seems the past few weeks, I awake in the middle of the night several times a week due to low blood sugar. Just a half hour ago, it read 65.

After the second time, I sent my results to my doctor and he reduced my dosage of Tresiba, (slow-release insulin). We've lowered it three times since that first time. At least I have an appointment with him first think on Monday. Maybe he/we can figure out what's going on. Only recent change is that I've ramped up my exercise routine. Even so, I didn't exercise yesterday, so I'm befuddled as to why my latest reading is so low.
Soda crackers and cheese before bed. Because your physical health is improving you will not need as much medication to control your BG. I learned a lot about this by reading books about how to manage diabetes
which I recommend you do.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:28 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Just got back from the doc for my quarterly checkup. Met the goal for A1C, so I'm on the right track. (But I sure do miss ice cream.) Waking up with low blood sugar happened again last night. I didn't wake up because of the low bs, but because of a "bad dream", (and I "never" remember dreams upon waking - ever since my Navy days.). Out of curiosity, checked my bs and it was low, but not dangerously low like recently.

The doctor agreed with me lowering my dosage on my own to the current level, but he also did something else. He lowered my Glipizide dosage. I've been on 20mg twice a day and we're going to go to 10mg twice a day. He surprised me when he said that "nobody" likes prescribing Glipizide! A well-known side effect is that it can drive blood sugar too low. He said that doctors go ahead and prescribe it, even though they don't like to, because it is so inexpensive.

I asked why we don't just get rid of it and he said that it still has beneficial effects. So, lower we go. He also signed me up for an education class. I've had those before, and usually turn the suggestion down, but this time he wants me to find out what type of snacks I should have before exercising.

- - -

I'm really getting to like this doctor. Had a terrible time finding a doctor who accepts new Medicare patients. Finally found this one through a neighbor referral who is only accepting new diabetic patients. At first, I didn't like his style at all. He started changing things all over.

But now, I really feel like he is letting me be part of the team on managing my health. My blood pressure runs a little high, (family history of hypertension). I've been on a low dose med for a couple of years now, but the numbers still run a bit high. In discussing what to do, he actually let me make the decision about starting a new medicine to help control the blood pressure. After taking a moment to consider my reflecting on my family's health history, I agreed to try this new medicine. But I really felt he left the decision up to me. That makes me feel "good".

- - -

p.s. Thanks all for the help and suggestions. I don't normally hang out here in this sub-forum. You "guys" are helpful, unlike a lot of the C-D forums. A collective kudos to you all.
Just a word of advice. You should be looking at reducing carbohydrate intake AND medications/insulin. That is the proper way to manage diabetes long-term. Diabetes is a progressive disease and will only get worse if not properly managed. Eating whatever you want and gradually increasing insulin and medications will only lead to more problems. In other words, treating the symptoms instead of the cause will only work for so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes