Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 07:35 AM

10 posts, read 3,800 times

Advertisements

So about 2 months ago, during my physical I was diagnosed as prediabetic, just barely. I was 2 points over the line from normal to prediabetic. Anyway, I have lost weight, about 10 pounds or so. Cut out most bad carbs and sugar, like white flour and sweets. I occasionally test my blood sugar upon waking and have had results like 83, 70, 78, 84 but today I got 94!

The difference is that I had a late dinner that was higher carb than usual.

So I guess the question is, would eating late mess up my numbers like that the next morning? It was still about 7 hours fasting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 08:27 AM

4,879 posts, read 4,234,260 times
Yes, eating late can have that effect.

Generally, I try not to eat anything after 9pm.

94 is still a "normal" number, but I can see why you may be concerned. Once in a while after a late dinner or something isn't something I'd worry about. When it gets to be like that all the time (or higher), then it can be a problem.

And yes, I'm diabetic.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:18 PM

10 posts, read 3,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Yes, eating late can have that effect.

Generally, I try not to eat anything after 9pm.

94 is still a "normal" number, but I can see why you may be concerned. Once in a while after a late dinner or something isn't something I'd worry about. When it gets to be like that all the time (or higher), then it can be a problem.

And yes, I'm diabetic.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2019, 12:19 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,995,574 times
Diabetic or not, everyone's liver dumps glucose into the bloodstream while sleeping, and that can cause higher fasting blood sugar readings in the morning.

My metformin keeps my fasting sugar below 100 (my fasting is way over 100 without metformin), and what I have eaten the day before has little effect on it.

I wouldn't worry about your 94, just keep watching your carbs as you have been.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:45 PM

7,354 posts, read 5,239,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1969 View Post
So about 2 months ago, during my physical I was diagnosed as prediabetic, just barely. I was 2 points over the line from normal to prediabetic. Anyway, I have lost weight, about 10 pounds or so. Cut out most bad carbs and sugar, like white flour and sweets. I occasionally test my blood sugar upon waking and have had results like 83, 70, 78, 84 but today I got 94!

The difference is that I had a late dinner that was higher carb than usual.

So I guess the question is, would eating late mess up my numbers like that the next morning? It was still about 7 hours fasting

a) Your meter is only accurate to +/-10% so all your results are statistically equal-- all are within 10% of the mean.

b) I object to the new fad of diagnosing "pre-diabetes." Is the 18 y/o destined to eventually be the mother of three now pre-pregnant? Was I at age 20 pre-bald, now that 50 yrs later the part in my hair is 8 inches wide?...

c) In early diabetes, fasting BS are normal. It's the post prandial BS that are elevated, so the proper screening test for diabetes is the 2- hr post prandial BS-- a point I'm sure 95% of physicians don't realize. That's why they still ask for fasting blood tests at your yearly exam.

d) It's immaterial whether we call you diabetic or pre-diabetic. The proper treatment begins with a sensible curtailment of carbs in the diet-- which is good advice for everyone. Don't lose sleep over it. It's the long term elevation of BS that correlates with diabetic complications, not the hour to hour changes. ...and regular, vigorous exercise (good for everyone) is particularly important in controlling BS and preventing complications in diabetics.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,449,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1969 View Post

Kudos for taking your pre diabetes diagnosis seriously many dont and end up with full blown diabetes.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:41 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,622,210 times
You can view online charts of blood glucose levels after meals for diabetics and non-diabetics. They both peak about 1 hour after the meal. By the end of the second hour, most of the drop in blood glucose level has occurred for both but the diabetic's has a slower descent.

Thought of in another way, the common advice is to eat a cracker about 3 hours after a meal to avoid the crashing feeling.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:09 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,995,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
You can view online charts of blood glucose levels after meals for diabetics and non-diabetics. They both peak about 1 hour after the meal. By the end of the second hour, most of the drop in blood glucose level has occurred for both but the diabetic's has a slower descent.

Thought of in another way, the common advice is to eat a cracker about 3 hours after a meal to avoid the crashing feeling.
I just looked for such charts and didn't find any, where do you see them? I have doubts that a nondiabetic would eat an apple and go above 140 BS, whereas when I eat an apple, I go to 178 BS, so I'd like to see comparisons of nondiabetic and diabetic, out of curiosity.

Also, I've been diabetic for years and have never had a "crashing feeling."

Old 08-13-2019, 02:29 AM

4 posts, read 1,606 times
I get sick after shower dry off then it starts I start pouring water out of my skin dizzy hungry for my sweet cereal after I eat large bowl of it I stop sweating getting dizzy now I’m dry but I’m freezing cold weak feeling like I’m normal again after cereal scared I have epilepsy already something is wrong diebedies god I can’t spell runs in my family both sides or is it enemic they have checked my blood pressure sugar in past but something is wron if eating that cearel is only thing that makes it go away please help

Old 08-13-2019, 02:31 AM

4 posts, read 1,606 times
Crashed that’s what I feel like I’m going to do and I feel in that moment I’m going to drop down and just die
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes