Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 11:27 AM

37,040 posts, read 41,108,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Compare it to alcoholism, another problem that involves genetic predisposition, but requires environmental exposure to manifest complications. At AA meetings, even after 40 yrs of abstinence, a member stands up to speak and says, "Hi. I'm Joe. I'm an alcoholic..." For continued success, one must never forget the underlying problem.

The poster above says the friend "was cured." No they weren't. They were controlled. If they are led to believe that they're cured, they may go back to their errant ways.

People are either born diabetic or they are not. There is no "pre-" state, except for "pre-complications" of diabetes.
However, it is the complications that count, right?

There has to be a cutoff for blood sugar levels at which a formal diagnosis of diabetes is made. I think that telling a patient that his blood sugar is nearing that point and changes need to be made has value. You can call it prediabetes or you say the blood sugar is nearing the point for a diagnosis of diabetes and changes need to be made. The only point is to issue a wakeup call to the patient.

I agree that the condition can be controlled, not cured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Nope. And I have never ever pretended to be one.

I also don't second guess other people's medical situations, ask them for more information so I CAN second guess them and pretend I know better then they do about what happened, and then tell they why they are wrong and their doctor was/is right. Which you do on a regular basis pretty much every time you post. In fact I don't ever remember a post where you have ever found the drug at fault for injury or the doctor at fault for misdiagnosis, wrong medication or just out and out stupidity. It's always the patient's fault. /shrug/

So yes, you definitely recommend drugs, right? Right. Predictable.
What do you recommend for the person who is normal weight and already exercising regularly who has high blood sugars?

Quote:
Because it means that the person WILL get diabetes. Which is not true. They might never have diabetes. So prediabetic is a misnomer. Because they *aren't.* Unless medicine is using psychics and not science?

I guess everyone is pre-dead? Since well, we're not dead yet. And we WILL die eventually.
What it means is that progression to frank diabetes is a good possibility if steps are not taken to prevent it. Have you read Guido's posts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 11:35 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,908,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What it means is that progression to frank diabetes is a good possibility if steps are not taken to prevent it. Have you read Guido's posts?
It means that the person does NOT have diabetes.

Do you consider yourself pre-dead? Because that's the correct diagnosis right? You WILL die at some point.

Pre-diabetes, however, does NOT mean you WILL get diabetes.

Instead, it gets the patient prepared to *have* diabetes. And I would bet that the conversion from pre-diabetes to diabetes is greater than the conversion of those who have the same characteristics and were never told they were pre-diabetic, but were offered healthy advice.

I realize you won't acknowledge/understand that either.

Would love to see a study on that though.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
What do you recommend for the person who is normal weight and already exercising regularly who has high blood sugars?
I'm not a doctor so I don't offer medical advice. /shrug/

Old 10-08-2019, 11:41 AM

48,436 posts, read 34,656,703 times
It means if they continue doing what they are doing......... they will have diabetes.

Not sure what the problem is with that? Or, that over time diabetes will be an issue no matter what they do.

I have trouble with my blood sugar. I am thin, exercise a lot (weights and cardio), and eat healthy home made foods most of the time.

Having pre-diabetic numbers meant I had to adjust my already healthy diet to minimize blood sugar spikes. It has been successful, but the chances are that over time I will need medication. But I will do my best to prolong that time period.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-08-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
It means that the person does NOT have diabetes.

Do you consider yourself pre-dead? Because that's the correct diagnosis right? You WILL die at some point.

Pre-diabetes, however, does NOT mean you WILL get diabetes.

Instead, it gets the patient prepared to *have* diabetes. And I would bet that the conversion from pre-diabetes to diabetes is greater than the conversion of those who have the same characteristics and were never told they were pre-diabetic, but were offered healthy advice.

I realize you won't acknowledge/understand that either.

Would love to see a study on that though.
Here you go:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3891203/

"The term prediabetes itself has been critised on the basis that (1) many people with prediabetes do not progress to diabetes, (2) the term may imply that no intervention is necessary as no disease is present, and (3) diabetes risk does not necessarily differ between people with prediabetes and those with a combination of other diabetes risk factors. Indeed, the WHO used the term ‘Intermediate Hyperglycaemia’ and an International Expert Committee convened by the ADA the ‘High Risk State of Developing Diabetes’ rather than ‘prediabetes’. For brevity, we use the term prediabetes in this seminar to refer to IFG, IGT and high risk based on A1c."

"Prediabetes is associated with the simultaneous presence of insulin resistance and β-cell dysfunction, abnormalities that start before glucose changes are detectable. Observational evidence shows associations of prediabetes with early forms of nephropathy, chronic kidney disease, small fibre neuropathy, diabetic retinopathy, and increased risk of macrovascular disease."

If "they have the same characteristics" they were prediabetic, whether the word was used or not. I suspect that someone who is told he needs to make lifestyle changes because of rising blood sugars is more likely to make them than someone given "healthy advice". If people followed "healthy advice" we would not have problems with rising prevalence of obesity and its complications.

Quote:
I'm not a doctor so I don't offer medical advice. /shrug/
As long as they do not take any evil medications, right?

Old 10-08-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Here you go:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3891203/

"The term prediabetes itself has been critised on the basis that (1) many people with prediabetes do not progress to diabetes, (2) the term may imply that no intervention is necessary as no disease is present, and (3) diabetes risk does not necessarily differ between people with prediabetes and those with a combination of other diabetes risk factors. Indeed, the WHO used the term ‘Intermediate Hyperglycaemia’ and an International Expert Committee convened by the ADA the ‘High Risk State of Developing Diabetes’ rather than ‘prediabetes’. For brevity, we use the term prediabetes in this seminar to refer to IFG, IGT and high risk based on A1c."

"Prediabetes is associated with the simultaneous presence of insulin resistance and β-cell dysfunction, abnormalities that start before glucose changes are detectable. Observational evidence shows associations of prediabetes with early forms of nephropathy, chronic kidney disease, small fibre neuropathy, diabetic retinopathy, and increased risk of macrovascular disease."

If "they have the same characteristics" they were prediabetic, whether the word was used or not. I suspect that someone who is told he needs to make lifestyle changes because of rising blood sugars is more likely to make them than someone given "healthy advice". If people followed "healthy advice" we would not have problems with rising prevalence of obesity and its complications.

As long as they do not take any evil medications, right?
You didn't answer my question even though you copied and pasted a whole bunch of stuff. And added a whole other layer as to why pre-diabetes isn't a diagnosis. It's a term made to scare people into thinking that they WILL get diabetes.

Let me ask you: are you pre-flu? Since you don't have the flu but could get it *any second now*?

You think medication is 'evil'? Interesting. I'll remember that.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
You didn't answer my question even though you copied and pasted a whole bunch of stuff. And added a whole other layer as to why pre-diabetes isn't a diagnosis. It's a term made to scare people into thinking that they WILL get diabetes.

Let me ask you: are you pre-flu? Since you don't have the flu but could get it *any second now*?

You think medication is 'evil'? Interesting. I'll remember that.
What question? the snarky one about being "pre-dead"? No, I did not. I did not think it was worth responding to.

You are the one who thinks medications are evil, not me.

Prediabetes is a term used to describe people who already have biochemical features of diabetes and rising blood sugars. People who have it are on their way to having a formal diagnosis of diabetes. Some can forestall that with lifestyle changes.

Got my flu shot last Saturday. Even got a $10 gift card from Publix for getting it there.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
What question? the snarky one about being "pre-dead"? No, I did not. I did not think it was worth responding to.

You are the one who thinks medications are evil, not me.

Prediabetes is a term used to describe people who already have biochemical features of diabetes and rising blood sugars. People who have it are on their way to having a formal diagnosis of diabetes. Some can forestall that with lifestyle changes.

Got my flu shot last Saturday. Even got a $10 gift card from Publix for getting it there.
The comments I made about the progression of those who were TOLD they had prediabetes vs those who were explained that they needed to make lifestyle mods without being "labeled".

Of course you got your flu shot you are still pre-flu since the efficacy isn't 100%. Do you consider yourself pre-flu? Pre-cancer? Pre-heart attack? Pre-broken leg? Since, well anyone could have any of those at any given time?

It's a misnomer.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:14 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,963,651 times
Quote:
Because it means that the person WILL get diabetes. Which is not true. They might never have diabetes. So prediabetic is a misnomer. Because they *aren't.* Unless medicine is using psychics and not science?
No, it doesn't mean the person WILL get diabetes, it simply means their current blood sugars are higher than nondiabetics, but not as high as diabetics...their numbers are in the middle of the two ranges, so they're called "pre" diabetic. No need to be so literal about it.

If they were never told that their numbers are higher than nondiabetics, they would have no idea they need to make changes, so telling them they're "pre-diabetic" (meaning they are not yet diabetic, but their sugars are not quite normal) is a good thing.

I suppose you could call them subdiabetic or supranondiabetic, if you prefer. Prediabetic works fine for the rest of us.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
No, it doesn't mean the person WILL get diabetes, it simply means their current blood sugars are higher than nondiabetics, but not as high as diabetics...their numbers are in the middle of the two ranges, so they're called "pre" diabetic. No need to be so literal about it.

If they were never told that their numbers are higher than nondiabetics, they would have no idea they need to make changes, so telling them they're "pre-diabetic" (meaning they are not yet diabetic, but their sugars are not quite normal) is a good thing.

I suppose you could call them subdiabetic or supranondiabetic, if you prefer. Prediabetic works fine for the rest of us.
Literal = words. So yes, it is a "literal" issue.

You are misunderstanding my posts and rolling your eyes at me for no reason. You actually AGREE with what I was saying.

Or you could just tell them .. you need to lower your blood sugar, knock off the carbs. Without labeling them and psyching them into thinking that they will be/are diabetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes