Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 12:31 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
But again, that doesn't do anything for thin diabetics, so it isn't "the way" to treat diabetes. As being pointed out here, diabetes itself isn't actually well understood.
That is where you are mistaken. Thin diabetics are of the type I describe in the first sentence of my post.

I don't know your specifics, obviously but I would venture to guess that you make do not make enough insulin on your own, hence you are thin and your blood sugars run high. The answer is ALSO to keep carbs low. Lower carbs equals lower blood sugar, less insulin needed to control said blood sugar. Low carb diets are also recommended for Type 1's. Less carbs, less insulin, better health, it's a win-win. As you well know, Type 1's make NO insulin at all. Have you read Doctor Bernstein's book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 12:42 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
For what it's worth. I've been fascinated with Grape Seed Extract going on 25 yrs and all it's done in my life.

https://naturalsociety.com/grape-see...diabetes-drug/

Well, why not simply use the metformin...it's derived from goat's rue, French lilac. "Clinical dosing information focuses on metformin, which is derived from goat’s rue." https://www.drugs.com/npp/goat-s-rue.html

Metformin should be as fascinating to you as grape seed extract. Metformin even fixes multiple ailments, just like your GSE does. You can read about this fascinating natural herbal supplement, metformin, here: https://www.lifeextension.com/magazi...formin/Page-01

Old 10-15-2019, 02:08 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
That is where you are mistaken. Thin diabetics are of the type I describe in the first sentence of my post.

I don't know your specifics, obviously but I would venture to guess that you make do not make enough insulin on your own, hence you are thin and your blood sugars run high. The answer is ALSO to keep carbs low. Lower carbs equals lower blood sugar, less insulin needed to control said blood sugar. Low carb diets are also recommended for Type 1's. Less carbs, less insulin, better health, it's a win-win. As you well know, Type 1's make NO insulin at all. Have you read Doctor Bernstein's book?
I was diagnosed with type 2 at 41. At 41 I was about 220lbs. For all my adult life I worked out about 5-8 hrs a week, biking, swimming, biking, and weight lifting. I also used Keto principles. However, for a year prior to my diagnosis I did less exercise due to a job with more stress and longer hours. I was fit and ate well until I was 40. Within a year of high stress, less ( exercise but I still did 150 minutes a week ) and a high fibre, high protein, diet still developed type 2. So go figure.

Old 10-15-2019, 04:18 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

No, I haven't read his book.

I don't use insulin, I eat low carb. At 110 pounds, I don't feel like I should lose weight and become a skeleton just to please people who insist that diabetes is caused by being overweight and lazy, or caused by stuffing themselves with carbs. My daily exercise, low-carb diet, and metformin control my sugars just fine, and that's good enough for me.

I don't claim to be a diabetes expert, and I do think that many people who claim to have expert knowledge of diabetes are fooling themselves, including some doctors, as well as a lot, if not most, authors on the subject. Diabetes isn't well understood, in my opinion, though some people sure think they know everything about it.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
No, I haven't read his book.

I don't use insulin, I eat low carb. At 110 pounds, I don't feel like I should lose weight and become a skeleton just to please people who insist that diabetes is caused by being overweight and lazy, or caused by stuffing themselves with carbs. My daily exercise, low-carb diet, and metformin control my sugars just fine, and that's good enough for me.

I don't claim to be a diabetes expert, and I do think that many people who claim to have expert knowledge of diabetes are fooling themselves, including some doctors, as well as a lot, if not most, authors on the subject. Diabetes isn't well understood, in my opinion, though some people sure think they know everything about it.
When I mention insulin it can be the type your body makes on it's own or the type you inject, same principle.

I recommend you read the book. I did and learned a lot. I don't pretend to be an expert but I read a lot and know more than the average diabetic which is a shame. More should educate themselves. Every diabetic should read it, you don't have to follow the diet but it contains a lot of useful information.

I know of a way you could easily gain weight, eat a high(er) carb diet and start using the necessary insulin to cover your meals. You would quickly gain weight but also gain other health problems as well, the kind of health problems that come from too much insulin. If you follow the recommendations of the ADA you are heading down the wrong path. Insulin, whether you make it or inject it, WILL make you gain weight.

You are thin because your insulin levels are low. As a consequence your blood sugars run higher. Metformin by itself will not force your pancreas to make more, it will help you utilize the insulin you already make. Do you take more medication other than the metformin?

http://www.diabetes-book.com/

Old 10-17-2019, 11:46 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I started using a medication called Ozempic. I have ben losing weight steadily on it and have done so because I am eating so much less. I still eat carbs, but I fill up so quickly, my overall calorie intake has dropped. I am not hungry. Not jittery and I don't feel tired nor does my sugar go too low. I recommend it.

The last several posts here are excellent. "DM" is a general term we use when BS go over an arbitrary value, but it doesn't address the many different precise causes.

And it's true- we concentrate on treating the BS and not the cause as if the BS were the whole problem. That's like giving only an aspirin to bring down fever in an infection and not giving an antibiotic.

Have you noticed the "fine print" in the TV ads for Ozempic? "Ozempic has been shown to NOT cause an increase in heart attacks!" ….Great!!!...But does it cause a decrease?... If not, why bother taking it? The outcome will be the same with or without it...but the normal BS will make your doctor look good.

BTW- in regards the OP about "a cure"-- they are starting clinical trials using the CRISPr gene tool to insert the gene for making insulin back into T1 diabetics. It's been working well in animal models....Because there are so many different (and unknown) genes involved in the various forms of T2, it''ll be awhile for that. Don't hold your breath.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 10-17-2019 at 11:56 AM..

Old 10-17-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
BTW- in regards the OP about "a cure"-- they are starting clinical trials using the CRISPr gene tool to insert the gene for making insulin back into T1 diabetics. It's been working well in animal models....Because there are so many different (and unknown) genes involved in the various forms of T2, it''ll be awhile for that. Don't hold your breath.
Yes, using gene technology will be a while at least and they are concentrating on Type 1's. Type 2 is a different animal so to speak. Many T2's have no problem producing insulin, me included. That is what I now concentrate on, lowering my insulin, the BS just follows suit when I do that. My insulin levels are almost down to normal after several years of doing a low carb and fasting regimen. I cannot however undo the damage that was done before I was even aware I had the condition, I am trying though.

As for the cure thing, what I had read about some time back, was trying to generate pancreatic b-cells directly by introducing them into the body, hoping that they would take hold. Here's more.

EXPLORING BETA CELL REGENERATION IN TREATING TYPE 1 DIABETES
https://diabetesresearchconnection.o...pe-1-diabetes/

Beta-cell therapies for type 1 diabetes: Transplants and bionics
https://www.mdedge.com/ccjm/article/...ts-and-bionics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes