Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 08:26 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,660,788 times

Advertisements

Might add if you gotta have bread, look for sprouted grain bread, and yea it will be pricey. Grain contains lot starch which when seed grows, the baby plant uses until it can produce its own food from sunlight. So sprouted grain/beans have used lot starch already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 02:16 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,604,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I don't know the numbers or the lingo yet. Just wondering besides lowering sugar intake what I am looking at.

I have never had a sweet tooth. I presume this is due to all my simple carbs.

Ironically, I have a totally new sweet tooth thing going on. Is that due to the pre-diabetics somehow or just a coincidence?

I suddenly started wanting candy and cake and so forth. Used to, I'd never finish a candy bar on the rare occasion I bought one. Now I eat part of one every night. A pretty decent part of a large one.

Anyway, no more coke. Iced tea with no sugar, even though it doesn't have the same caffeine kick. Oh, the sugar could be related to depression. I've noticed a mood lift by drinking more coke, the very thing I shouldn't have. I hate artificial sweeteners.
If you use sugar instead of artificial sweeteners, you are probably consuming a lot more sugar than you think you are. (Not that art. sweeteners are good for you, but just saying...the sugar in your beverages & cereals & breads, etc., count, and can add up quickly.)

Exercise is as important as what you eat. Being sedentary is one of the risk factors of diabetes.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:09 PM

7,148 posts, read 12,692,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I have a very limited diet on what my taste buds/tummy will eat to begin with. That is what will make this so hard.

If I take that tablet that starts with meta _________ can I get away with not changing too much?
Nope, you've got to be willing to change. Your body is giving you a warning. Will you listen.

Diabetes is the leading cause of heart attacks. It can lead to blindness, amputation of limbs...

You can take charge and re-educate your tummy and taste buds to LOVE foods that won't aggravate your pre-diabetes into full-fledged diabetes.

The choice is up to you...

Fingers crossed you love yourself enough not to get sicker and sicker...

Old 04-20-2020, 07:58 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,595,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Nope, you've got to be willing to change. Your body is giving you a warning. Will you listen.

Diabetes is the leading cause of heart attacks. It can lead to blindness, amputation of limbs...

You can take charge and re-educate your tummy and taste buds to LOVE foods that won't aggravate your pre-diabetes into full-fledged diabetes.

The choice is up to you...

Fingers crossed you love yourself enough not to get sicker and sicker...
Well, I don't want to get into the whole thing, but I really am limited on what I can digest. However, my np insists that this was a mistake to begin with. She said my sugars are not high at all. Totally normal. She checked and re-checked the labs and says she has no idea why the other np told me that before.

I hope that is right. I was trying to get another blood draw. They said insurance wouldn't pay until late March and then COVID. I told her my concerns on the phone and she said their lab is closed but if I have actual symptoms she would have me go to Quest. If I have no symptoms, she wants me just to wait for a blood draw.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:23 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,551,109 times
If you can, get yourself a meter, pokers and test strips (50). Together ~$100. It's over the counter. Avoid medicare/medicaid/health insurance since they will limit your purchases, limit the purchases thru certain providers, and will be just inconvenient.

My D2 is IMO related to my high triglycerides. Lab tests are often misleading the doctors...they expect certain things and discount other stuff that can affect your D2.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:15 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,793,970 times
Cut out the carbs, lose the extra weight and eliminate diabetes in one's life.

Just heard my favorite joint MD on radio and he preaches this too for joint issues and diabetes.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:21 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,523,970 times
My wife and I were talking yesterday. She's a retired Medical Technologist and hospital laboratory manager. I'm a Type II diabetic that's chosen to be on an insulin pump.

She said you know, there's no such thing as a pre-diabetic. They're just not as diabetic (as I am.)

My pump is adjusted by taking a finger stick and putting in my blood sugar number. Then I estimate the number of carbs the meal I'm getting ready to eat. The pump is just an automatic insulin syringe.

The pump allows me to eat more normally, and it keeps my blood sugar levels stable. Best thing is those on the pump live 2 years longer on average than those that are not on it. I wouldn't go any other way.

We're getting ready to go on a stricter diet--eliminating anything "White." That means no bread, potatoes, rice, cakes/cookies, etc. Getting rid of ice cream is mandatory too. We're going to meats and green items.

Good luck to you. Getting on a diabetic diet is not the end of the world. It's just a healthier way of life for anyone. We Americans just don't eat as well as we should.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:06 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,551,109 times
^ Be careful of gout (blood acidification).

Old 06-23-2020, 04:04 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,595,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
My wife and I were talking yesterday. She's a retired Medical Technologist and hospital laboratory manager. I'm a Type II diabetic that's chosen to be on an insulin pump.

She said you know, there's no such thing as a pre-diabetic. They're just not as diabetic (as I am.)

My pump is adjusted by taking a finger stick and putting in my blood sugar number. Then I estimate the number of carbs the meal I'm getting ready to eat. The pump is just an automatic insulin syringe.

The pump allows me to eat more normally, and it keeps my blood sugar levels stable. Best thing is those on the pump live 2 years longer on average than those that are not on it. I wouldn't go any other way.

We're getting ready to go on a stricter diet--eliminating anything "White." That means no bread, potatoes, rice, cakes/cookies, etc. Getting rid of ice cream is mandatory too. We're going to meats and green items.

Good luck to you. Getting on a diabetic diet is not the end of the world. It's just a healthier way of life for anyone. We Americans just don't eat as well as we should.
I get that. I have a particular problem with food choices. That there is no point in going into, because it can't be solved. There is not anything I can't live w/o, it's a matter of something to replace it with.

Can I drink milk? That is a primary source of protein for me.

So I hopefully will be very lucky on this.

The last np I saw, I expressed concern and asked about medication. She said she has no idea why the other np told me that. Triple checked my labs from before, and insisted my sugar levels were 100% normal.

I do have to try harder at the obvious things. Unsweet tea instead of coke. Cutting out as many empty carb snacks as possible, etc.

Gosh, I love coke too much and that isn't good for anyone. NP said to have a 'baby' coke (the little 8 oz cans) and then switch to tea. The one that thought I was pre-diabetic.

I appreciate the responses to remind me that I can't just think it's ok to ignore it completely.

Used to for health and weight, I had systems like 'no chips, have an apple, and then if you still want chips, you can have a few'. But for this, the fruit is going to be sugary too!

It's just not as easy for some than others.

When things are normal again regarding COVID, they are going to do another blood draw. I am overdue, but she said unless I am having symptoms and need to be sent to a lab, they are not doing blood draws. Telemedicine only.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:36 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,793,970 times
I don't have a sweet tooth but as a kid growing up, omg, and I've changed so so much. I don't want diabetes. And I did eliminate bringing bread into my house about 11 yrs ago.

Just recently my glucose has gone up, and I'm thinking it's older age, and I don't do fasting labs so my labs can come in higher on the sugar I would think, and since I'm home so much I've been eating probably too much, gluten free pizzas... so my doc suggested that I take Berberine to keep the sugar levels down and I'm into 2 months on Berberine. She has other patients taking it also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes