Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 08:06 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times

Advertisements

After a lot of searching, this seems to sum up all the studies done in recent years:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...bad#gut-health

Effects on blood sugar and insulin
Sucralose is said to have little or no effects on blood sugar and insulin levels.

However, this may depend on you as an individual and whether you're used to consuming artificial sweeteners.

One small study in 17 people with severe obesity who didn’t regularly consume these sweeteners reported that sucralose elevated blood sugar levels by 14% and insulin levels by 20% (4Trusted Source).

Several other studies in people with average weight who didn’t have any significant medical conditions have found no effects on blood sugar and insulin levels. However, these studies included people who regularly used sucralose (5Trusted Source, 6Trusted Source, 7Trusted Source).

If you don't consume sucralose on a regular basis, it's possible that you may experience some changes to your blood sugar and insulin levels.

Yet, if you're used to eating it, it probably won't have any effect.

The URL does link to the original research though that doesn't come through in the above - they copied as "#Trusted Source".

So the one positive study was of only 17 participants and the impact was a relatively small 20% increase in insulin levels and 14% increase in glucose. This seems quite weak to me. I'm not saying there might not be longer term impacts of drinking diet soda over your lifetime, but there are few to no immediate effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 06:41 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Is there anything else she's eating that could be causing the problem? For example, there are a number of sugar free candies that contain maltitol, which does affect BG.

It concerns me that a hospice nurse is chastising one of her patients over anything. I'd be tempted to have a word with her supervisor.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Is there anything else she's eating that could be causing the problem? For example, there are a number of sugar free candies that contain maltitol, which does affect BG.

It concerns me that a hospice nurse is chastising one of her patients over anything. I'd be tempted to have a word with her supervisor.
No, she doesn't eat diet candy...her overall diet is not the best, and in fact they always give her the dessert! She was told it was okay as they use sweetener, not sugar....uhhhhh, that's what you are saying is bad about the diet soda! So completely inconsistent.

Apparently the aides have also been told not to give her the diet soda from the fridge in her room now....I don't really know how they can get away with that so I'm looking into it.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times
Not one mention of what other foods she is consuming but the focus on diet soda which generally speaking does not raise blood sugar. Seems strange, especially coming from doctors.

Let me mention a few foods that actually DO raise blood sugar.

Any foods made with or containing wheat flour, rice, potatoes, corn, fruit and a bunch of food additives, too many to mention. Milk also contains sugar. The obvious one would be sugar itself, which surprisingly does not spike blood sugar as much as potatoes.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:04 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So has anyone's doctor warned them not to drink diet soda? I'm sure there are comments about regular soda, juice, other sugary drinks - and general advice to drink mostly water. But specifically not to drink diet soda?

None of my doctors have ever said anything about it, and I have no idea why they would, since it doesn't raise my blood sugar.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Not one mention of what other foods she is consuming but the focus on diet soda which generally speaking does not raise blood sugar. Seems strange, especially coming from doctors.

Let me mention a few foods that actually DO raise blood sugar.

Any foods made with or containing wheat flour, rice, potatoes, corn, fruit and a bunch of food additives, too many to mention. Milk also contains sugar. The obvious one would be sugar itself, which surprisingly does not spike blood sugar as much as potatoes.
My guess is that THEIR food is "dietician approved" so it obviously is NOT the problem! The stuff I bring in is what is being questioned.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:07 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
My guess is that THEIR food is "dietician approved" so it obviously is NOT the problem! The stuff I bring in is what is being questioned.
This is terrible, & not a sign of a caring hospice. When my Uncle was moved to hospice, they told us, let him eat or drink whatever he wants, hospice is about comfort, not controlling peoples diet soda. Are you both happy with it, in all other aspects? Hugs

Old 06-28-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
This is terrible, & not a sign of a caring hospice. When my Uncle was moved to hospice, they told us, let him eat or drink whatever he wants, hospice is about comfort, not controlling peoples diet soda. Are you both happy with it, in all other aspects? Hugs
Thanks...we are not that happy with the facility (within a regular nursing home) but do like the hospice people. As far as I know there are no actual hospices, but you pick a facility that does the basic care and then the hospice service "layers on" additional aides, nursing, chaplain services. Of course that has been more limited because of COVID.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:43 PM

2,106 posts, read 977,092 times
I’m a diabetic , I’ve cut down on sweets ect 6 months ago , needed something sweet in my cereal , started using artificial sweeteners , found myself urinating every hour , and 7 times during the night , I did some googling , seems the artificial sweetener was causing all the problem , stopped using it , bladder is under control and back to normal , I threw the pink packets away , Im wondering Now if the same thing is in sugar free items too

Old 08-31-2020, 02:17 PM

7,234 posts, read 5,110,683 times
Complex problem/complex answer.

Diet soda consumption is correlated with higher BS, higher abd fat deposition, higher triglyds etc BUT (and we have a very big butt here) is it the chemicals or is it just that people with those problems "crave" sweet things and drink more of them as well as eat more sweet foods?

Answer that question and win the Nobel Prize.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...ive-sweeteners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes