Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 05:41 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times

Advertisements

The best you could hope for is blood-sugar in the normal-range, without taking
any diabetes-meds............that would most likely entail eating a strict low-carb diet.

If your goal is to basically remain on your same eating-plan, with a few tweaks, like ditching
fruit-juices altogether and any other obvious sugars, that would be great middle-ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 05:45 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Ok, I will switch from reamora to half and half.

Basically if I like it it's bad for me. That seems like the rule.

I'm 5'-10" tall with weight between 210 to 215. Could be better but I to lose weight it seems like I have to stop eating.

How is grapefruit juice compared to orange juice?
grape fruit is good for your digestion,some will take apple cider pills,but fresh grape fruit slices or juice produce instant result if you lack enough acide in your stomach,I buy like 6 Texas Pink grape fruits in a bag for $4.99,peel them and store them in a tub in the fridge,but it does interfere with certain prescription drug .
I think there is also less sugar than OJ.
Bottled OJ has more sugar than an orange,frozen ones can give you yeast infection.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:46 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Ok, I will switch from reamora to half and half.

Basically if I like it it's bad for me. That seems like the rule.

I'm 5'-10" tall with weight between 210 to 215. Could be better but I to lose weight it seems like I have to stop eating.

How is grapefruit juice compared to orange juice?
Juice is juice is juice. Juice is actually the bad part of the fruit and none of the good part which is the fiber. If you ever juice an orange you would find out how little juice you actually get so when you drink a 6 ounce glass of juice which is what I’ve always heard is the regular serving, you’re actually eating three oranges with none of the fiber that helps temper the sugar that you’re drinking.And it’s a habit. Once you go about three weeks without having juice in the morning you won’t even think about having juice in the morning.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:41 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Our body's are all so different in the ways we react to eating certain things. Older age is a big factor.

I have insulin dependent Type 2 diagnosed 16 years ago. For me, moderation is key. I don't cut out carbs completely and still enjoy pasta (al dente), rice (boiled only), and bread (light rye). I aim to ingest high amounts of protein and fiber with legumes, bran flakes, and such. I don't use margarine because it is closer to plastic than a spreadable butter substitute. Butter is natural. I just limit my use of it.

It is how you cook those things that makes them more friendly to diabetic control. I also allow myself chocolate, pie or cake once a week.

You can buy orange juice that has 50% less sugar. I always have it on hand to drink if my blood sugar level is between 4 and 5. I can also dilute it with water if I crave a glass with breakfast.

I regularly test A1C at 7 which my doctor is happy with. However my dose of fast acting is 16 units at noon and again at supper on a sliding scale and 59 units of 24 hour base-line insulin at supper. The cost of this and 10 other medications I take is only #120/mo. Prescription insurance is 125./mo and saves me 70% of the cost of meds.

I have other chronic health issues that need certain nutrients specific to manage them. I have to think of that as well as the diabetes. That is why I don't cut out everything.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:19 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was on this board. It was eat to your meter. Everybody is different. Rice and beans send my blood sugar to the moon, and stays there. I miss refried beans more than you can even imagine. But one bite, that’s all I can have. But I can eat a half a cup of mashed potatoes with no issue. I recommend everybody religiously keep a food diary, and also test and write that down to you will only know what foods cause issues if you do this. There’s a whole ton of things saying you can’t do this but you can do that and it really is just individual.

I have a friend who can eat brown rice. With no issue whatsoever. I can’t eat that at all. She can’t eat potatoes. I can. I have to be very careful with carrots. The only way you know this is too write it down so you remember what you had, and test.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:28 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
^ blood glucose meters are inexpensive (about <$20, new) and strips about <$0.15ea.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:26 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
My husband is doing a Keto diet. His sugars have gone down even lower than 2 months ago, last 3 days his BS was 105.He eats green veggies and meat, has 1 orange a day and drinks a cup of hot green tea at night. He also eats fish 2 nights a week. He started this about 7 days ago and he does not feel hungry .I plan on joining him on his journey after the holidays. We will see how it goes. I'll give it a try.

Old 12-22-2020, 06:36 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
rice,corn are worse than potato or pasta,but the brain needs sugar !

Old 12-23-2020, 09:25 AM

who says? Potatoes and pasta are not good for diabetics although in small quantities and not everyday it's ok to have a little. Brown rice is better for you than white rice.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:10 AM

Good news since being on Low carb for almost 3 months my husband's A1C went from 8.9 to 5.9! He was taking 4 meds for his type 2 diabetes now he only needs to take 2 which is metformin and Reybelsus. He was on Pioglitazone and glimepiride.
His cholesterol was never really high maybe 190 but it went down to 174.For anyone who has not tried Reybelsus I highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes