Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 06:11 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
As a follow up, BG was 164 yesterday. Still too high.

She is having serious side effects from the metformin, and is going to stop taking them for a few days. We'll see how that works out.
I couldn’t take metformin. It’s a great drug for most diabetics but for some of us it really screws with the liver. I’m glad her numbers are more reasonable but sounds like they need to put her on some bigger guns. The right medication can drastically alter the quality of your life. Victoza was a miracle drug for me. I’m on Ozempic now and it also stops my diabetes from being so brittle with the added benefit of being administered weekly instead of daily.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:27 AM

7,268 posts, read 5,150,905 times
Quote:
As a follow up, BG was 164 yesterday. Still too high.
Very little evidence that a HbA1c beolw 7.0 improves outcomes, particularly in a septagenarian--

--and BS averaging ~160mg% corrsponds to a HbA1c of 7.0----More potential harm from more aggressive treatment at this point than the questionable benfit it could do.

Primum non nocere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 08:05 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,589,005 times
My lady friend saw her new PCP about a week ago. Her BG was tested at about 245, and her A1C at over 13. She is now on 20 unit of insulin twice a day and Glipizide. Numbers are much better. She is also doing much better with avoiding sugar, since the new Doctor put "the Fear of God" in her.

Old 05-01-2022, 02:10 AM

7,268 posts, read 5,150,905 times
Quote:
My lady friend saw her new PCP about a week ago. Her BG was tested at about 245, and her A1C at over 13. She is now on 20 unit of insulin twice a day and Glipizide. Numbers are much better. She is also doing much better with avoiding sugar, since the new Doctor put "the Fear of God" in her.
Question the PCP about the rationale behind using glipizide AND insulin. Once the line is crossed and insulin started, pills don't make much sense, particularly that one...It works by stimulating the pancreas to make more insulin, which it probably can't do in her case.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:46 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,657,017 times
Maybe take her to pick out a casket, see if reality finally sets in. If she wont try to change her diet, then she will start forfeiting pieces of herself. T2 may take 20 years to kill whole person (or not), but it does it one piece at a time. A toe here, a leg there, eye sight next week. Soon starts adding up, making life ever so pleasant you wish you were dead.

A strict diet may not cure diabetes, but at least you will enjoy remaining days a whole lot more.

If nothing else I know I suffered horrible foot pain at night and would have to take long walks to get some relief, when all I wanted to do is sleep. THAT ALONE made carefully watching diet worth it. That was seriously annoying pain.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:54 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,589,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Question the PCP about the rationale behind using glipizide AND insulin. Once the line is crossed and insulin started, pills don't make much sense, particularly that one...It works by stimulating the pancreas to make more insulin, which it probably can't do in her case.
Turns out she couldn't tolerate the glipizide, so it is now just the insulin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes