Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 08:47 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times

Advertisements

definitely not good.

Over a quarter of 12-to-19-year-olds have prediabetes
Quote:
U.S. residents on the cusp of developing Type 2 diabetes include about 28 percent of youths ages 12 to 19, according to research published in the journal JAMA Pediatrics.

They have a condition known as prediabetes, which means that the level of sugar (glucose) in their blood is higher than normal, but not high enough to be diagnosed as having full-fledged diabetes. The researchers found that the percentage of youths with prediabetes has more than doubled in recent years, going from just under 12 percent in 1999 to 28 percent by 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 01:01 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
????

Most female children will probably grow up to have their own children....Are they Pre-pregnant now?...Most male children will eventually become bald to some degree...Are they Pre-bald now?

Pre- diabetic is a really poorly thought out concept.

You either have the genotype(s)at birth that will allow you to show the phenotype "diabetes" if environemental conditions (ie- excessive calorie intake) occur at the right time of life, or you don't have the genotype(s) and no matter what happens, you won't ever become a diabetic.

Someday we'll be able to map a kid's DNA early in life and tell what conditions to look out for...Until then, eating sensibley, everything in moderation, with regular exercise would seem to be wise advice for everyone...You can't do much else.

Old 04-05-2022, 03:19 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Regardless of the naysayers or whatever name you choose to put on it or not, this fact still holds true.

Quote:
the level of sugar (glucose) in their blood is higher than normal
I can almost bet that 90%+ of those children are overweight. NOBODY can deny that is unhealthy.

The cause? Let me guess, Standard American Diet and a sedentary lifestyle?

Yes, you must have the gene to develop full fledged diabetes. People that don't have that gene just get fat. That's all.

For the record, I did not develop full fledged diabetes till at least my 30s, maybe 40s. I am not sure because I was totally ignorant about the whole thing. If someone would of brought the issue to my attention sooner, the dangers of a bad diet and lifestyle, maybe I could of prevented it? I was overweight all along the way and they don't put warning labels on full sugar soda.

It's not poorly thought out, it's a warning label which many sadly, ignore or are not even aware of.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:40 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Here's the logic--

Suppose you have the "normal" (ie - non-diabetic) genotype at birth...Even with an IV of 10% glucose running full blast and a funnel in your mouth pouring in Reese's Peanut Butter Cups endlessly, your blood sugar will always stay in the normal (<140mg% range.)

If you are born with the diabetes genetic complement, but always eat sensibley, exercise regularly and never get over-weight, your BS wil remain normal, and we'll never make the diagnosis of diabetes. ...It's analogous to a guy with the genes for alcoholism, but he never drinks...He'll never suffer the complications of alcoholism. It's like he isn't an alcoholic, even tho genetically, he is.

If you're born with the diabetes genes and you don't watch your diet, at some point (everybody is different) your calorie intake may overcome your ability to maintain a normal BS, and the disgnosis can be made....Treatment-- start by lowerng calorie intake. Very often that's all that's needed, particularly when caught early and the diet is followed rigorously.

Many young people destined to be proven diabetic as they age, actually have a tendency to show hypoglycemia when they're young (inappropriate insulin secretion).

But you are right-- the study was probably able to show that the rate of young people showing elevated BS early in life is increasing because they eat more and exercise less than years ago.

My point really is that they are not "pre-diabetic"-- They are diabetic.

Old 04-06-2022, 03:21 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
what do you expect?
walk down the grocery store aisles,and you can understand why we are going to beat out China and India as the diabetis capital of the world.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
If you're born with the diabetes genes and you don't watch your diet, at some point (everybody is different) your calorie intake may overcome your ability to maintain a normal BS, and the disgnosis can be made....Treatment-- start by lowerng calorie intake. Very often that's all that's needed, particularly when caught early and the diet is followed rigorously.

But you are right-- the study was probably able to show that the rate of young people showing elevated BS early in life is increasing because they eat more and exercise less than years ago.

My point really is that they are not "pre-diabetic"-- They are diabetic.
The issue is not just calories it's insulin and insulin resistance.

1. Eat excess high glycemic processed food->2. blood sugar spikes->3. insulin spikes->4. weight gain (also from excess calories)->5. cells/tissues become resistant to insulin->6. blood sugar stays high..... rinse and repeat, every day, every meal.

It's a viscous cycle, not hard to figure this out. Somewhere along the line if you introduce exercise you may break that cycle but it's obvious how you can prevent it from even starting. It's right at #1.

As for the pre diabetic and just diabetic, the medical establishment sets those guideline so by their standards you have to hit the 6.5 a1c to be officially a diabetic. 5.7 to 6.4 is "pre", if you don't like the word "pre", just call it elevated. In the end it means the same thing. I don't get so hung up on one word.

It's more than just a number, it's the fact your body cannot cope any more without some serious intervention.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:37 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
It's called stop eating modern wheat, that is a large majority of what's wrong with everything- it increases prevalence of type II diabetes, causes inflammation, water retention- weight gain, brain fog, etc. You stop eating modern wheat found in most processed foods, frozen foods, and fast foods and I will guarantee you will have next to no weight issues.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It's called stop eating modern wheat, that is a large majority of what's wrong with everything- it increases prevalence of type II diabetes, causes inflammation, water retention- weight gain, brain fog, etc. You stop eating modern wheat found in most processed foods, frozen foods, and fast foods and I will guarantee you will have next to no weight issues.
Not just wheat. You forgot the #1 problem, SUGAR. and all of the other junk added to processed food. A lot of it is sugar disguised as something else.

Old 04-08-2022, 01:01 PM

398 posts, read 206,497 times
Michael Bloomberg was right on the 'big gulp' sized soda ban.

I am certainly not a fan of government banning things but the soda mafia doesn't give a crap what they do to public health.

https://www.businessinsider.com/peps...dation-2016-10

Old 04-10-2022, 08:19 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
Mom has to work ,so who is doing the cooking?
I recall going to a safe driving school,the teacher has 4 daughters,she and her hubby both work and every evening they order 4 pizzas,if they do not,the pizza house will call them and ask WHY??
All 4 daughters are now married and they have no clue how to prepare a family meal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes