Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2022, 09:07 PM

257 posts, read 165,852 times

Advertisements

Halloween and Easter is easy, candy I could care less about it but Thanksgiving can be a major source of irritation.

I am just going to tell everyone I am diabetic DON'T comment on my eating or push food on me.

The worst of the worst is "are you sure" when you say no to a big helping of ketoacidosis pie or a king size serving of diabetic coma.

They always have to say "are you sure". Yes I am very very very sure I don't want to consume 200 grams of sugar and carbs right now after I already ate far more then I should have. Absolutely positively 1000% sure, OK !

I do think my best bet is to just inform/remind everyone from the start, zero comments on my eating and no food pushing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 08:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
With our family dinner of 14, I think everyone knows about my type 2. My A1C is at 6.4 now, and I'll eat a small piece of pie, but then I usually serve, so it's easy. I have a rule, sugary sweets like cake, pie and ice cream only on special occasions like holidays or birthdays, and then just a small amount. I suppose if your family is aware of your condition it's rude of them to push the sugar, but if they don't know, they are just being normal.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:59 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,303 times
Its kinda like people pushing alcohol on a person with history of problems with alcohol. Sad, but it happens.

I am usually invited to Xmas dinner by stepson of a now dead friend. My only time eating with others anymore. But they get idea of diabetic restrictions, he has been warned by his doctor that he is pre-diabetic. I warned him, its whole lot easier dealing with pre-diabetes than actual diabetes. But doubt he listens, few do. Few deal with actual diabetes very well either. Everybody wants magic pill with no change in lifestyle.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:23 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
I'm so glad I don't have to deal with a big meal or other people this year. My appetite is altered on my T2D meds, particularly the GLP-1 I started months ago.

I have to eat small portions and eat slowly, as nausea and other GI issues are unpredictable and easily triggered. These side effects don't lend themselves to a day of gluttony, that's for sure. There will be no worries about food or being social, and if I'm not feeling well, I don't have to explain it.

Old 11-24-2022, 05:28 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Why do so many people feel a need to try and push food onto people, then pester if they do
not succeed .........even after that person lets their preference be known, UGH!

Old 11-24-2022, 01:23 PM

257 posts, read 165,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Why do so many people feel a need to try and push food onto people, then pester if they do
not succeed .........even after that person lets their preference be known, UGH!

And the double standard. Despite the stereotype I am a thin diabetic.

For some reason its perfectly OK to shame my body type, your so thin, too thin you should eat more!

But if I was to say to an overweight person your too fat maybe have one cheeseburger instead of three they would be insulted and start a fight with me.

Fat shaming is like socially illegal now but thin shaming is still ok.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:45 PM

2,451 posts, read 1,679,952 times
I ate ice cream, jellied cranberry sauce, some really good green bean casserole, turkey breast, and strawberry rhubarb pie. I ate a lot of all of it. I went for a mile and a half walk before and after eating. Then another mile and a half walk a couple hours after eating. All the walking kept me from noticing any effects of eating horribly for one meal.

Old 01-23-2023, 11:26 AM

623 posts, read 311,683 times
I think my reputation precedes me, with the result that I have little problem. However, I'm not sure exactly what my reputation is. Internally, my attitude is "Why do you think I would want to eat poison? Why don't you eat my "share,'" if you weren't going to do so already, anyway?" Externally, however, I usually respond to suspicion that many of them just don't know any better, so I try to educate them. I am capable of doing this at a length that might slightly annoy some. Again, I really don't know. I try to react logically, but only to the most charitable possible interpretation of the pusher's behavior. I really have only one acquaintance who is a problem, and he is a diabetic who thinks that his mother's culture is an excuse for his present behavior and abysmal physical condition, whereas my strict observance of dietary guidelines (and salubrious results thereof) is weird.

I consider it advisable to be charitable at first, but you should eventually respond with as much freedom as the offender presumes. It is not cheating to prepare for this! Study and memorize appropriate responses. Don't get even - get ahead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes