Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 12:00 PM

257 posts, read 165,979 times

Advertisements

Why the heck would a healthy person put themselves through that! I hate having diet restrictions.

How did the diet industry convince the entire population "carbs are bad" ? Auto suggested Google searches.

signs you should quit keto

keto ruined my health reddit

keto ruined my metabolism

keto diet side effects long-term

mental side effects of keto diet

how long is it safe to be in ketosis

why am i so irritable on keto

i quit keto and lost weight

I thought of this topic when I saw a can of "low carb" monster energy drink.

I don't know why anyone would eat like a diabetic when they are perfectly healthy. Not drinking soda , sugary drinks and other junk and processed food is great. But a healthy person not eating rice and beans because of a self imposed "carbs are bad" diet, totally ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 01:18 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,544,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootDiabetic View Post
Why the heck would a healthy person put themselves through that! I hate having diet restrictions.

How did the diet industry convince the entire population "carbs are bad" ? Auto suggested Google searches.

I don't know why anyone would eat like a diabetic when they are perfectly healthy. Not drinking soda , sugary drinks and other junk and processed food is great. But a healthy person not eating rice and beans because of a self imposed "carbs are bad" diet, totally ridiculous.
ah, maybe because the person doesnt like rice or beans. not ridiculous. Im not a diabetic but I almost never eat rice or beans. Dont like it. I eat lots of veggies and fruit, no red meat, chicken/ turkey in moderation, very little bread, skim milk and almond milk, yogurt, cheese and nuts. sometimes dessert ,depends.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:55 PM

6,105 posts, read 3,344,280 times
I agree that keto is too restrictive and may not be good for you long term.

If you are obese, I think keto would be a good thing for you to try and finally quit sugar and processed carbs for good and to get down to a healthy weight. Once at your target weight, introduce healthy carbs, get out of ketosis, but do not go back to sugar and processed garbage.

But I do want to mention that 250 g of carbs per day is an outrageous amount, and I don’t care what the USDA says about it.

I am very serious about tracking my macros, and here is what I do everyday:

Protein 100%. I never go over my limit.
Fats 100%. Only healthy fats, and I occasionally go over 100%, but not too extreme.
Carbs. I religiously stay between 50-100

I eat zero sugar. I never eat processed garbage. I do a 16:8 fast everyday. Usually 2 meals a day, but sometimes just 1. I’m very cautious about my omega 3- omega 6 balance. I also eat fermented foods daily, usually kimchi, kefir, kombucha.

The only thing that I struggle with is trying to cut out all the unhealthy vegetable oils from my foods. But I’m getting better at it and I hope to be 100% vegetable oil (and other unhealthy oil) free soon. Coconut and olive oil only.

Old 11-29-2022, 02:23 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootDiabetic View Post

Maybe they just follow a fad or TikTok influencers?

Old 11-29-2022, 02:30 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
My diet excludes no foods, and includes as many as possible. Variety, variety,variety..... most of them plants.

I do drastically limit sugar and refined carbs, as they spike my blood sugar. But I eat lots of beans and whole grains. Wheat berries, bulgur, barley, faro, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-29-2022, 02:41 PM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
Because carbs are just the other side of the sugar coin.

The growth in popularity of low carb diets came as pushback from the lie by doctors and the government, that fat is intrinsically bad for your health and that you require a low fat diet to be healthy. Meanwhile, they push bread and other grains as healthy.

When Godie Hawn's daughter asked how mom was so fit at 50, she said "never eat bread".

Fat is not unhealthy, just too much of it is "fattening".

Think of carbs as nutritious sugar. Athletes and laborers need lots of carbs. Office workers and retirees do not.

Old 11-30-2022, 03:55 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I was on the verge of becoming diabetic. I gave up grains, potatoes and rice.

I mostly eat meat, dairy, veggies, and fruit.

Beans are fine.

Old 11-30-2022, 04:04 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times

Last edited by Arya Stark; 11-30-2022 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: double post

Old 11-30-2022, 04:07 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Carbs are bad.

But I personally don't like carbs. When I discovered Atkins 20 year ago, literally a light went off over head. I didn't realize until he pointed it out that I didn't like eating - potato, corn, peas, french toast, waffles, muffins, rice, pasta.

I ate them because my parents had convinced me to. Feeling they were required.

They weren't.

Health drastically improved.

There is no essential requirement for carbs. Your body can make glucose. Your body gets energy from Ketones.

Old 11-30-2022, 05:17 AM

274 posts, read 294,548 times
Each person makes the decision on what their own diet should be, or see a doctor, nutritionist, etc. that tries to help them make good dietary choices.

Many people who are "perfectly healthy," choose keto for many reasons. Many find benefits in it, some people find they feel better on keto, some find that they have a lot more energy, etc.

Rice and beans are hardly health foods. It wouldn't hurt anyone not to have rice or beans.

Not all carbs are equal, either. Carbs in the end convert into sugar in the body. Carbs themselves I wouldn't say are an enemy 100%, but picking carbs wisely is important. Choosing complex carbs over simple carbs is often a healthier choice.

Keto was originally used for children with epilepsy and the diet was found to be highly effective. When the body goes into ketosis, it's using fats as energy instead of carbs and this in turn nourishes the brain. What is the brain? Mostly fat. The brain needs healthy fats. Some children outgrew epilepsy and it was believed the diet helped some of these cases.

Fast forward in time, and you've got people that perhaps need to lose weight fast because they are severely obese and are having heart problems or recently had a heart attack or stroke. They may be put on keto for a rapid weight loss program. Often times, it works.

Diabetics can often benefit from it, but they have to monitor their blood sugar carefully and be sure that if they're dipping too low then they are going to need something sweet to raise it fast so they might need some carbs or sweet, but often times carbs with protein go a long way in those situations, or a cup of juice.

Even adults with epilepsy can sometimes benefit from keto. While it's not always a seizure cure, it can keep medication dosages on the lower side, which is less medication side effects so that's a good thing.

I don't think some people realize also what it takes to keep a keto diet. Some people may not realize it's more than only low carb or a set number of carbs per day. Keto diet also needs the person to eat a lot of healthy fats each day - generally with each meal (coconut oil, olive oil, eggs, butter, ghee, salmon, chia seeds, certain nuts, avocado, etc). Others may not realize that it's easy to become dehydrated on the keto diet as there isn't always a good store of potassium, sodium, etc. in the body on keto. Hydration is essential either way, but on keto it's important to take caution and be sure you're hydrated.

My diet is considered low carb as well as my household (more on the paleo side as we try to do some complex carbs that are okay for us). Everyone in my home has food sensitivities and a few of us have a food allergy. It's a challenge making something we can all have, but it's generally doable (at least more doable than finding a restaurant that suits all of our dietary needs).

I'm allergic to rice - I can't even be around steam coming off of rice. It's awful. I also have sensitivities to wheat, barley, oats, farro, kamut, etc. etc. - most grains absolutely hate me. My body can't handle them and they cause me a lot of grief and health problems in the long run if I indulge in them. Someone else in my household can't have corn, and another it's rye. Most grains cannot be in our home. It stinks, but we're healthier when we're not having allergies all the time.

It's a personal preference to what someone wants to eat in the long run. If it bothers you, you don't have to do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes