Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 05:04 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed a "Type 2" diabetic a year ago after I had an accident that put me in the hospital. At that time my sugars were very high, but doctors attributed at least part of that to all of the issues I was dealing with.

Anyway, since that time I have been taking a reasonably small dose of basal insulin (Lantus) every day, about 24 units, split a.m. and p.m. I have put on a significant amount of weight since starting the insulin, and asked my doctor about it. I do feel it could be in part due to not being able to exercise as much as I used to (before accident) and maybe I am eating more without realizing it. However, he agrees the insulin could be contributing to my weight gain.

So bottom line, his advice for diet seems to go against the grain of many "health gurus" out there. He feels I should be eating more frequent smaller meals; as opposed to the "new advice" about intermittent fasting/keto which I asked him about. He would like to see me get off the insulin which of course would be great by I don't really know what is best at this point. I am 74 y.o., my numbers aren't horrible, but they are diabetic #s to be sure. It runs in my family and while I have gained weight I am FAR from overweight (doctor said so!) and am otherwise healthy and active.

So what say you? Mainly about my doctor's advise to eat more frequent smaller meals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2023, 06:42 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Do what the doctor suggests and if it doesn't work revisit the issue at your next appointment.

Old 12-23-2023, 05:30 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
I find my blood sugar is more stable with 3 low carb meals and two small protein heavy snacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Do what the doctor suggests and if it doesn't work revisit the issue at your next appointment.
Good advice.

Old 12-24-2023, 09:50 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
I deal w/patients at the "other" end of treatment.

Hyperbaric chambers, then finally amputations. Then death.

Old 12-25-2023, 08:39 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
My impression is, much of this problem is due to the fact that the overwhelming majority of people simply do not have the ability to process the large amount of carbs they take-in......and this usually just gets worse as they age.

Even amongst the people who get on the right track and find a diet that truly works for them, the lack of discipline and follow-through keeps them from seeing significant health improvements.

Old 12-27-2023, 10:00 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Yep!

For some I believe the smaller, more frequent "meals" is a better option. For some, fasting may work better.

IMO (and I'm not a doctor) there are many variables that will dictate how your body reacts. Your individual metabolism and body chemistry may make it better for you to eat 5 small "meals" a day. Your activity levels will also play a factor in that.

Unfortunately, it's not a one size fits all formula. I often hear people say to eat to your meter, and to some extent that is true.

Old 12-27-2023, 10:12 AM

503 posts, read 258,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Yep!

For some I believe the smaller, more frequent "meals" is a better option. For some, fasting may work better.

IMO (and I'm not a doctor) there are many variables that will dictate how your body reacts. Your individual metabolism and body chemistry may make it better for you to eat 5 small "meals" a day. Your activity levels will also play a factor in that.

Unfortunately, it's not a one size fits all formula. I often hear people say to eat to your meter, and to some extent that is true.
Agreed !

I believe there is a wide range of body chemistries, so that some people tolerate some things better than others, or process food and drink differently than others.

I rarely make changes to my diet or exercise regime, in part because I am not overweight and I have been healthy and fit all my life. Now 76.

But. A couple of years ago my doctor informed me I was pre-diabetic ( high sugar levels ) and that I had high cholesterol. There really wasn't much in my diet that could be changed to reduce the sugar levels, except for soda. It took a while but I found a way to reduce the amount of soda, and I am now "diet-controlled" meaning my sugar levels are within target and no drugs are needed. The cholesterol was easy to fix, I just changed from two eggs a day to one. And upped my protein by increasing the amount of something else.

For me what works is a large breakfast, moderate lunch, and light early evening meal, along with a few very small "treats" during the day. I never feel hungry, and I never feel stuffed. I also walk several miles a day.

Old 12-29-2023, 11:26 AM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
Agreed !

I believe there is a wide range of body chemistries, so that some people tolerate some things better than others, or process food and drink differently than others.

I rarely make changes to my diet or exercise regime, in part because I am not overweight and I have been healthy and fit all my life. Now 76.

But. A couple of years ago my doctor informed me I was pre-diabetic ( high sugar levels ) and that I had high cholesterol. There really wasn't much in my diet that could be changed to reduce the sugar levels, except for soda. It took a while but I found a way to reduce the amount of soda, and I am now "diet-controlled" meaning my sugar levels are within target and no drugs are needed. The cholesterol was easy to fix, I just changed from two eggs a day to one. And upped my protein by increasing the amount of something else.

For me what works is a large breakfast, moderate lunch, and light early evening meal, along with a few very small "treats" during the day. I never feel hungry, and I never feel stuffed. I also walk several miles a day.

i think you can add your egg back. cutting the soda probably took down the sugar and cholesterol. the two tend to run together

Last edited by cheka; 12-29-2023 at 11:41 AM..

Old 12-29-2023, 11:46 AM

503 posts, read 258,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
i think you can add your egg back. cutting the soda probably took down the sugar and cholesterol. the two are joined at the hip.
You may be right, but I don't understand how that would work.

Based on "nutrional information" provided with each product, one egg is high in cholesterol ( 63% daily recommended based on 2000 calories per day ) with no sugar, and going from 42 to 28 oz of soda per day shows no change in cholesterol but a 54g reduction in sugar. Am I missing some insight ? I would love to understand this better.

I track all of my food and drink intake daily. My current three-month average is 2700 calories per day, 100% recommended cholesterol ( with the one egg daily ), 87g of protein and 200g of sugar. What I have not paid much attention to is carbs. which average 160% of the daily recommended. Since the daily recommended numbers are based on 2000 calories per day, my 2700 calories per day would imply the 160% carbs are okay.

With 2700 calories per day I do not gain or lose weight. I am 6' 3" tall and weigh 195#. I have been healthy for as long as I can remember.

Old 12-29-2023, 11:56 AM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
You may be right, but I don't understand how that would work.

Based on "nutrional information" provided with each product, one egg is high in cholesterol ( 63% daily recommended based on 2000 calories per day ) with no sugar, and going from 42 to 28 oz of soda per day shows no change in cholesterol but a 54g reduction in sugar. Am I missing some insight ? I would love to understand this better.

I track all of my food and drink intake daily. My current three-month average is 2700 calories per day, 100% recommended cholesterol ( with the one egg daily ), 87g of protein and 200g of sugar. What I have not paid much attention to is carbs. which average 160% of the daily recommended. Since the daily recommended numbers are based on 2000 calories per day, my 2700 calories per day would imply the 160% carbs are okay.

With 2700 calories per day I do not gain or lose weight. I am 6' 3" tall and weigh 195#. I have been healthy for as long as I can remember.

dietary cholesterol is a minor player in blood cholesterol levels. sugar is a major player. eating low glycemic diet lowers both. exercise is also a player. and then there's the most important thing of all -- gut microbiome health. it has a hand in just about everything.

the body is the most complex thing in the known universe. we have barely scratched the surface on understanding it. the more i study it the more in awe i become.

you are doing great! wish the rest of our people were doing the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes