Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2021, 02:52 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times

Advertisements

Newly (2 weeks ago) diagnosed T-2, 65 yo male, skinny, BP = 120/72, BG = 291, HA1C = 10.9%. Currently on 1000mg Metformin b.i.d.

I need a BGM and was given a prescription for one yesterday. Then I notice that finger prick BGMs are widely available and can be bought by anyone. The type that needs a script is the CGM reporting type that attaches to one's body and communicates with the doc via smartphone. But this script specifically lists glucometer, lancets, and strips. Also note that my plan doesn't specify any certain brand or type of manual glucometer. So far, no answer from the doc's as to why this is being prescribed.

I'd also appreciate BGM suggestions. Should I look for 20, 50, 75, 100 dollar types? I need to test 3x a week.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 11:48 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,482,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I need to test 3x a week.
This is why you need a BGM. How else would you test?

No prescription is necessary to purchase, it is necessary if you want to go through insurance.

In my experience, it is not worth it to go through insurance. I don't actually save any money and it is an extra hassle.

I use the Relion Prime meter and strips from Walmart. Accuracy is about the same as other meters which is 15% margin of error. That is the allowed margin of error.

One time purchase
Meter is $9, lancing device is $6,

Recurring purchase.
lancets are $8 for 100
Strips are $9 for 50

I re-use lancets till they become dull, maybe about 7 to 10 times average. Never had a problem.

Old 02-11-2021, 12:35 PM

6,931 posts, read 218,524 times
I agree with Gguerra, the Walmart meter is very good with good prices on the test strips.

Also, You may want to check if your insurance covers meters. Mine (BCBS Fed) offers a Livongo meter for free with free strips as well.

I also have an Accucheck meter, most meters are fine, but test strips can be costly.

In your case, The Walmart meter is probably the best route.
Good luck!

Old 02-12-2021, 03:43 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,391,623 times
I think you can get a meter for free. Just ask your pharmacist. I got all of mine for free over the years.
I think the deal is when you get a free meter you have to buy the test strips for it and those are quite expensive so the maker gets customers from giving a free meter (loss leader).

Some advice about testing ... I think you should start out testing every day. That way you can get a better grasp on if what you are eating is helping to keep BG ideal and if you might need another 1000mg of Metformin. The max is 2000mg/day.

Good A1C levels are in range of 7-8%.

I dont recommend reusing lancets for more than 3 times. Contaminants on the lancet point can skew readings. Get yourself a sharps container or use empty milk jugs with a cap. You give them to your pharmacist when full so they can dispose of them properly/safely.

It is a false that T2s never need insulin. I am insulin dependent T2 so I test 2X day and inject at lunch time and supper time. As well as take a reduced amount of metformin (1000).

Old 02-13-2021, 11:53 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,981,341 times
All glucometers have to meet the same accuracy requirements, which is 15-20%. Use whatever one your insurance company pays for (some test strips an be expensive), doesn't have to be a CGM. Otherwise, buy one with features that you want. The Relion brand is inexpensive and works fine.

I think new diabetes should be taught to eat to their meter, which means testing just before you eat, waiting 2 hours, then testing again. That way you can see if your food choices raise your blood sugar too high or not. It's a great way to learn what foods you should and shouldn't eat. Do that in addition to your doctor's recommendations.

Old 02-13-2021, 12:37 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,523,914 times
I buy generic strips to a legacy branded meter. I the strip cost is the key to doing BGTs. My cost is ~$17.00/100 strips via eBay or other. I use a lot of strips and average the results, thus removing some of the inaccuracy and inprecision. I have compared a hospital's meter to my meter, and the hospital's meter shows the same variability. Your goal is eat so that your longterm testing results show better results. Pre-D2 and very sensitive to sugar, refined carbos.

I also use a home blood lipid testing meter and strips. I test at least 1 once/week for lipid panel. Lab testing every 3 months is not enough and in my case, with high triglycerides, the calculated method is not always correct, even with special instructions to the lab.

Last edited by leastprime; 02-13-2021 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-13-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Newly (2 weeks ago) diagnosed T-2, 65 yo male, skinny, BP = 120/72, BG = 291, HA1C = 10.9%. Currently on 1000mg Metformin b.i.d.

I need a BGM and was given a prescription for one yesterday. Then I notice that finger prick BGMs are widely available and can be bought by anyone. The type that needs a script is the CGM reporting type that attaches to one's body and communicates with the doc via smartphone. But this script specifically lists glucometer, lancets, and strips. Also note that my plan doesn't specify any certain brand or type of manual glucometer. So far, no answer from the doc's as to why this is being prescribed.

I'd also appreciate BGM suggestions. Should I look for 20, 50, 75, 100 dollar types? I need to test 3x a week.

Thank you.
Since you are Medicare, you will be placed on a the Diabetes program. If you use the prescription in the Medicare Plan, you MUST use an approved diabetes service provider for the supplies. Do your investigations and know the cost-benefit in using Medicare diabetes supply.

My brand name meter came free with 50 branded test strips. I used up the branded strips and went generic on the strips at about 33% less-$17per100, free shipping. May be slightly less if bought from local pharmacy and do not say you are 65+yo or Medicare, if asked.
Lancets and alcohol wipes are really inexpensive, at far less cost than the strips.

Last edited by leastprime; 02-13-2021 at 03:09 PM..

Old 02-13-2021, 03:07 PM

JMO, Do a lipid panel. If you pay, ~$70-35 for HDL, LDL, Triglycerides, Total Cholesterol.

As for your question why the wifi/bluetooth meter is being prescribed...MONEY.
Generic strips and nonrecording meters don't make money for anyone however, they save you a boatload of cash.
Watch your diet, stay off the carbs & eat low gluten. Eat lots of vegs and moderate proteins and graze all day long. I get gout if I eat too much protein. I take metformin 1 daytime +1 nighttime with meals. Monk sugar-Allulose has been very helpful for my sweet cravings vs stevia or other artificial sweets were not.
take care of your self.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:43 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
When my husband was diagnosed in 2008 type 2 his doctor gave him a meter and tests strips free. since then we have replaced that meter with the evencare G2 model but my brother works for a big pharmaceutical co and he got it for us no charge. Why do you only need to test 3 times a week? My husband checks his every day. No need to go through insurance you can purchase online at Amazon. the strips I buy to go with this meter are $15.00 for 50 strips on Amazon.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:04 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
I have had cheap glucometers for year in-order to monitor my BS....they seem to work fine. I have tested my cheap meter when going for a lab BS-test, the cheap meters have usually been within a few points of the lab-tests.

A script for a GGM, ok, I am going to be that will change in the not too distant future. But then again.........some Nannystates do not let people order their own lab-tests online, thanks most likely to their states medical-lobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes