Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 10:26 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,662,635 times

Advertisements

JoAnne Zoller Wagner's diagnosis as prediabetic wasn't enough to compel her to change her habits and lose 30 pounds. Not even with the knowledge her sister had died because of diabetes.

"I didn't have that sense of urgency," said the Pasadena, Md., woman.

News from The Associated Press (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MED_BEATING_DIABETES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE =DEFAULT&CTIME=2009-04-19-14-13-39 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,868,891 times
As a Type I diabetic for 52 years, I can tell you, it never is cured, only controlled.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:22 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,886,121 times
As a type 2, losing about 40lbs and altering lifestyle and diet, seems to have worked, at least for me. It worked to the point that for over 3 yrs, have had no issues with glucose levels or further symptoms. It took about 6 months to be able to get off the meds. Am I "cured"? In my mind, it doesn't matter as long as I can continue not having the level of concern I had following the surgery for Gangrene. That scared me enough to do something about it.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:05 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,706,635 times
Diabetes fortunately is a disease that often can be completely controlled. The type also makes a difference (I or II). With diet, exercise most ppl can rely very little if at all on drugs! With more and more diabetics emerging thanks to the excess consumption of carbs/sugar it will become paramount for ppl to learn how to eat right.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:26 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,962,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Diabetes fortunately is a disease that often can be completely controlled. The type also makes a difference (I or II). With diet, exercise most ppl can rely very little if at all on drugs! With more and more diabetics emerging thanks to the excess consumption of carbs/sugar it will become paramount for ppl to learn how to eat right.
Yes, you are correct! It is a disease that is controlled but never is cured.
It is all in our genes!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:54 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,033,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
The diet recommended for diabetics is probably the diet all of us should be eating. There would be less diabetes if that were the case.

I don't believe that diabetes is all genetic. In societies where processed food doesn't exist and meat/poultry are eaten sparingly, there is very little diabetes, even if that population is genetically prone to it.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:55 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,033,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Yes, you are correct! It is a disease that is controlled but never is cured.
It is all in our genes!
It's not all in the genes. Those who don't eat processed sugar and eat minimal meat/poultry are much less prone to diabetes.

Childhood diabetes has skyrocketed within a generation. That isn't genetics. It's unhealthy eating habits. Genetics don't change that quickly.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:40 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,962,960 times
[quote=mysticaltyger;11766756]It's not all in the genes. Those who don't eat processed sugar and eat minimal meat/poultry are much less prone to diabetes.

Childhood diabetes has skyrocketed within a generation. That isn't genetics. It's unhealthy eating habits. Genetics don't change that quickly.[/quote

Some people can have an extremely poor diet and nothing ever happens to them. However, if you have a genetic predisposition to high glucose levels you will develop diabetes. You don't automatically get diabetes if you have a bad diet.
A similar action is happening with heart disease. Eating poorly contributes to heart disease but you still had to have that "genetic push".

And, I am not saying genes have changed. We have what we are born with.
Why do some families clearly have certain diseases run in the family? It isn't a poor diet. Diet is a contributing factor.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:31 PM

746 posts, read 3,502,464 times
I believe much of Type II diabetes is brought on by the typical American supermarket diet.

If you eat the typical American packaged foods, and order up at the fast food chains, you stand a good chance of developing diabetes as you age. But if you return to the way we ate 75 years ago, it is much less likely you will become obese, or develop Type II diabetes.

One of the most important changes in American health care could come by educating people as to what food is good for you, and stopping the manipulation of facts by the industrial food corporations and their lobbyists who depend on public ignorance for their profits.

One controversial book is Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes which contends that most everything we all believe about food and diets is just plain wrong.

A less controversial but equally enlightening book is Eat. Drink and Be Healthy by Harvard nutritionist Walter C. Willett, MD. Then there is What to Eat by Marion Nestle.

They all point to the same culprits in our diet as causing the epidemic of diabetes. An excess of highly processed and chemically manipulated fat, salt and carbohydrates in modern over-processed convenience foods.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:51 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,886,121 times
[quote=Dean Trails;11768096]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's not all in the genes. Those who don't eat processed sugar and eat minimal meat/poultry are much less prone to diabetes.

Childhood diabetes has skyrocketed within a generation. That isn't genetics. It's unhealthy eating habits. Genetics don't change that quickly.[/quote

Why do some families clearly have certain diseases run in the family? It isn't a poor diet. Diet is a contributing factor.
Some people that have certain diseases seeming to run in the family, may be experiencing that because, lifestyle and eating habits run in the family. In my mind, that is a more logical explaination for the generational explosion of the disease. Finding a convenient excuse, the genes, does not do anyone any good. I fully accept MY own responsibility for getting, and nearly dying, from Type 2 Diabetes. I also accept MY own responsibility to continue taking the steps to "control" or, as I am more and more convinced, CURE the disease. The steps are suprisingly simple, once the comitment is made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes