Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 02:39 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,711,352 times

Advertisements

Among diabetes patients who take insulin, about 57 percent occasionally do not take their shots, an Internet survey of 500 patients suggests. One out of five patients said they skipped their shots regularly.

Patients with Diabetes Occasionally Skip Insulin Shots on Purpose - American Diabetes Association (http://www.diabetes.org/news-research/news/diabetes-in-the-news/patients-with-diabetes-occassionally-skip-insulin-on-purpose.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 06:51 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,651,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Among diabetes patients who take insulin, about 57 percent occasionally do not take their shots, an Internet survey of 500 patients suggests. One out of five patients said they skipped their shots regularly.

Patients with Diabetes Occasionally Skip Insulin Shots on Purpose - American Diabetes Association (http://www.diabetes.org/news-research/news/diabetes-in-the-news/patients-with-diabetes-occassionally-skip-insulin-on-purpose.html - broken link)

None of them must have been half-dead in the hospital with DKA.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:42 PM

746 posts, read 3,504,574 times
These broad, sweeping generalizations do us no good. Once in a while I determine that skipping my insulin shot is correct. I am a Type 2 and have been for decades, on insulin for two years now. What I say below is for Type 2's. My body still secretes SOME insulin. Those with Type 1 should never EVER skip their insulin IMHO since they do not produce insulin themselves.

The times I skip the insulin are when my blood sugar is lowish, and the meal is not very high in carbs. If I am pretty sure that my BG reading will be over 100 after the meal without the insulin I skip the shot.

Another time is when I have just exercised and eating a light lunch or supper. If the carbs are in 25-35 range, I skip the shot then, too.

Sometimes I am at a meeting that goes long enough that food is served and do not have my insulin handy or available. In those cases, I administer as soon after the meeting breaks as possible, using a BG test as the basis.

This is not often, and does not mean I do not take my Metformin which also acts to help my body process blood sugar.

I do test frequently, and usually make the determination by testing just before eating. I am very sensitive to low BG (I start feeling it when I go below 80) and tend to not overdo the insulin. It can also pack on the pounds.

I administer 4 shots a day, and never skip more than one shot in that period, and never my basal (long acting shot).

Still, I would not recommend this to someone who is not well educated in the disease, and experienced in the relationship of insulin to carbs.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 AM

831 posts, read 1,586,860 times
I have also skipped shots. I take 5 a day, 2 long acting and 3 fast acting with each meal, plus 2000mg of Met. If I test before I eat and I am 80 and I am eating a low carb meal I skip my fast acting shot. I am on 1:6 ratio and if my meal is 15 carbs I am not going to do a shot of just 2 units when I am already at 80. That's just what works for me. I am T2.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:02 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,651,326 times
Never skip without approval from your healthcare provider to do so. If he or she approves, then all is good. Otherwise, it's just plain stupid to do so.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:44 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,164,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
I have also skipped shots. I take 5 a day, 2 long acting and 3 fast acting with each meal, plus 2000mg of Met. If I test before I eat and I am 80 and I am eating a low carb meal I skip my fast acting shot. I am on 1:6 ratio and if my meal is 15 carbs I am not going to do a shot of just 2 units when I am already at 80. That's just what works for me. I am T2.
That can be dangerous without consulting your care provider. I was doing the same thing and when I discussed it with my doctor he explained that your body is "Expecting" that insulin. If you don't use it, you're system can/will react strangly and cause you to not be even.

I'd make sure the doctor fully understands what you are doing.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:53 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,724,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
That can be dangerous without consulting your care provider. I was doing the same thing and when I discussed it with my doctor he explained that your body is "Expecting" that insulin. If you don't use it, you're system can/will react strangly and cause you to not be even.

I'd make sure the doctor fully understands what you are doing.
Yes, I agree. Skipping is the same thing as playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes