Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 9,772 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Jorge. I'm a lawyer and a workaholic ( I think the two come hand in hand, haha). I have noticed that I've been consistently gaining weight since I graduated college and I'm looking to lose the weight. I'm 6'4, 280lbs. I recently moved from Dallas to Raleigh, NC. I'm looking for good gyms in the area as well as diets or weight loss supplements that people have had success with. I'm really determined to lose the weight and I welcome all suggestions.

Thanks!

Cowboysfan22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
All you have to do, Jorge is make certain that the food you eat is whole, unprocessed, fresh, ripe and preferably raw and organic. You will not only lose weight but experience a level of well being and energy that you have not felt since you were seven.

Remember that your health is in your hands and nobody else is going to do it for you. Remember also, that you can do anything that you set your mind to doing. You are the only one that puts limitations on YOU.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-07-2010, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 9,772 times
Thank you Fitness and 20yrs! I appreciate both of your responses. I know my diet is playing just as big a part in my weight as is my lack of exercise. I am trying to make a conscious decision to make a lifestyle change when it comes to eating. Fast food and eating out has certainly taken it's toll on my body.

20yrs... do you recommend I go to any supermarket to find these goods or are there certain markets you recommend I go to/avoid?

Fitness... I have seen P90X infomercials and I've heard really good things about it. Of the workouts, would you recommend this for me if I want to lose weight? I really like the fact that i can do these at home.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:15 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
P90x would be a GREAT choice. It can be scaled for your current fitness level so dont let anyone tell you "oh you should start somewhere else first......." blah blah blah. P90x would be a great start for you.

As far as nutrition goes (note I did NOT say diet) you CAN find good for at any supermarket, you just have to know what to buy and what NOT to buy.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:18 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,698 times
There are any number of good online sites that can help you with your diet - everyone is differnt so you are going to have to find what works for you.

If you are a people person, then maybe weight watchers and going to meetings.
If you are online a lot, maybe an online support group.
There is calorie counting, different food approaches, etc.

I have had sucess for the first time (after years of failed attempts looking for magic) by calorie counting and excercise. I use software to track nutrients, and there are free programs such as caloriecount, daily plate, etc. that do this online and many of them have discussion boards on different kinds of diets.

The NUMBER ONE advice I can give is to look at this as a lifestyle change and pick something you can LIVE WITH for the rest of your life.

Banish the word "diet" and there are no magic supplements or shots or anything that will do the work for you.

Go buy a copy of "Younger Next Year" one of the author's is a retired atty, FWIW. Good read - a lot of helpful info.

----

Edit - I have heard great things about P90x (currently going to gym working with trainer which was a good investment as he pushes me to places I would not push myself but knows how NOT to hurt joints) and am thinking of trying it.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:56 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysfan22 View Post
Thank you Fitness and 20yrs! I appreciate both of your responses. I know my diet is playing just as big a part in my weight as is my lack of exercise. I am trying to make a conscious decision to make a lifestyle change when it comes to eating. Fast food and eating out has certainly taken it's toll on my body.

20yrs... do you recommend I go to any supermarket to find these goods or are there certain markets you recommend I go to/avoid?

Fitness... I have seen P90X infomercials and I've heard really good things about it. Of the workouts, would you recommend this for me if I want to lose weight? I really like the fact that i can do these at home.
The optimum solution is to grow your own food. That way you certainly know where it as coming from and whether or not chemicals were used. Since this is not an option for a large percentage of urban dwellers, I recommend finding a good Community Supported Agriculture group (known as a CSA) which will deliver fresh produce. You can go to localharvest.ORG and find groups in your area. If there are none, then I certainly recommend locally-grown produce that you can find in you area. If all else fails, I would locate a large health food store that handles organic produce. It's expensive, but worth every dime.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-07-2010, 04:41 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
This one is healthy and will knock the weight off pretty fast: Drs Eades It's a lower carb plan and features lots of veggies. If I could just stay away from the sugar, I wouldn't have any weight problems! If you're a big sugarholic, you'll probably lose a lot of weight just by swearing off the stuff. Forever.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:58 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,012,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
P90x would be a GREAT choice. It can be scaled for your current fitness level so dont let anyone tell you "oh you should start somewhere else first......." blah blah blah. P90x would be a great start for you.

As far as nutrition goes (note I did NOT say diet) you CAN find good for at any supermarket, you just have to know what to buy and what NOT to buy.

Do you need a home gym or any other equipment to do this?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Do you need a home gym or any other equipment to do this?
All you need is one of those doorway pullup bars (around $20.00) and a set or two of dumbbells (@ $30.00 - $40.00 per set). That is all.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,900,579 times
Default Relative importance of cardio versus weight workouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
All you need is one of those doorway pullup bars (around $20.00) and a set or two of dumbbells (@ $30.00 - $40.00 per set). That is all.
Don't neglect cardio (walking briskly, jogging, bicycling, sustained swimming, etc.), which is probably even more important that weight workouts, although the two should both be done, ideally. To protect your knees (since the OP is overweight), I would suggest brisk walking. If done on a treadmill, then the incline can be ramped up slightly to increase the intensity of the workout, as opposed to increasing the pace into jogging territory, which might bother your knees. Like Granny said a few posts back, view everything you do (diet and exercise) as a lifestyle change valid for the rest of your life! If you lose weight, then revert back to your old ways, the weight will come back. Nothing should be so extreme or unusual that you can't maintain it; patience and steady compliance are the keys. Don't look for instant results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss