Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 07:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,586,691 times

Advertisements

Don't worry, GN. You'll get through this -- though it might be easier if you were a tad less obsessive about it.

I am post-menopausal, and I agree that these extra pounds appear to be nailed on and then sealed with super glue. It is very discouraging. Then I ask myself: aren't I trying to lose these pounds to improve my life quality?

Look at WHAT you are eating. Ignoring calories and grams of stuff, just look at the content of your diet. Are the foods real, or something that came from a factory. If they are processed, try using whole foods, as if you only had farmer's markets to buy from. Real veggies, scrubbed clean and either raw, steamed or microwaved (just a couple drops of water) should be 2/3rds of your meals. The remaining third should share the space with a lean protein and whole grain.

Drink LOTs and Lots of water.

Make your menu up at the start of the week, and then forget about food other than to follow your menu. The rest of the time, stay as active as you can in your situation.

Most importantly: enjoy each minute of your day. You may be designed to weigh this weight, and this day will not be available again.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 09:12 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,579,508 times
These are all good suggestions. Right now the scale has budged by about 4lbs in the past week so I hope that means I am back on the right track.........but if not, I will come back to this. Currently doing some swinging ----- 900-1200 with burning about 600 calories a day in excercise (so the calculators say based on weight and activity). And I switched it up to basic 3mph walking, not cardio for awhile.

I am interestedi in P90 (I have heard P90X may be a bit intense for starters but that P90 is also good) -

I hear people say all the time that too low calories will damage your metabolism and I do know that you have to keep your muscles going as you will often do destroy muscle before fat, but I think weight training and feeding the muscles afterwards help offset that loss........ Well, the article on feeding muscles after a workout is very interesting and makes sense.

I really have not seen any actual evidence to back up the hype about that, other than if you go under 1200, you really DO need to watch vitamin/mineral/electrolyte intake and I believe the best of these comes from your food, though I do take supplements. I already know a few weeks bumping up the calories does NOT have any kind of desired effect. I believe when you eat less, your metabolism drops and it does go up when you eat more but I don't think those changes are irreversible.

Definitely eating the good stuff. The fact that my sodium intake is around 1000-1400 mg a day is a testament to NOT eating processed foods. Working on some ways to bring even more dark leafy greens in.

For loss and quality of life - I may get to a point at 165-175 where I have a accept no more weight loss but where I am now both puts some limits on me and I am caring for a 240lb mother who had a stroke and I do not want to be where she is down the road! I love being in the woods more than anything and I want to be at a point where I can continue doing that for a long long time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss