Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 02:05 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,472 times

Advertisements

It wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for relatives wanting me to spend dinner with them. They don't eat healthy, everything is greasy or else made with artificial sweetners. I'd rather spend the day at the gym then come home and cook my normal food. I only hope to God 24/7 gyms really are open every day including Thanksgiving and Christmas. Not everyone celebrates Christmas here so it ought to be open then.

I've accomplished a lot by exercising diligently and eating way healthier than ever before. I don't want to sabotage myself nor gain weight that I have to work off to re-lose a second time. How do other healthy people here deal with holidays with relatives? Anyone have any good excuses to get out of the whole thing? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 03:30 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,529 times
From what I have understood, and even having a similar question answered on here before, one or two "holiday" meals won't be a deal breaker for you. Your body should be able to burn through most of what you eat, as your metabolic rate is probably alot higher now than when you first started working out.

Eat in moderation. Choose what you eat carefully. If you eat desserts, eat small portions (perhaps 1/2 the normal serving or less). If the gyms aren't open, get out and walk for 45 min or so at a fast clip. Do some situps, pushups, things that don't need weights, but can still be somewhat resistive that will help burn some more calories/carbs.

I will be traveling the week before Christmas to my wife's family's home. They do the same thing your relatives do, which is eat like crap (but for them, its a 365 day occurance, rather than just on holidays). So, I will be doing the same things you will, and have to be very conscious about what I am putting down my gullet.

Ian

Old 10-23-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
From what I have understood, and even having a similar question answered on here before, one or two "holiday" meals won't be a deal breaker for you. Your body should be able to burn through most of what you eat, as your metabolic rate is probably alot higher now than when you first started working out.

Eat in moderation. Choose what you eat carefully. If you eat desserts, eat small portions (perhaps 1/2 the normal serving or less). If the gyms aren't open, get out and walk for 45 min or so at a fast clip. Do some situps, pushups, things that don't need weights, but can still be somewhat resistive that will help burn some more calories/carbs.

Ian
Even with exercising two hours a day 5-6 days a week I don't think my metabolic rate is up to normal. I'm fighting years on medications that helped cause the weight gain and ruined metabolism plus the fact I am a very short woman and short women just cannot eat what the average size person eats and stay a healthy weight. For my height I figure I need to eat a child serving & what I do consume has to be healthy. I gave in and ate out the other day with family and gained a couple pounds back because it wasn't healthy food. The restaurants had nothing for vegetables except things covered in butter, fried okra and mash potatoes. The only thing healthy I had was baked chicken. If one restaurant crap filled meal will do that I don't dare eat at their home where there will be even less selection since they do not eat vegetables. They eat meat, bread and dessert and diet coke. That's its! So for both holidays the only things they will serve is ham, mashed potatoes, corn, bread and cookies and pies made from Splenda chased down with diet coke. I live in the South and there is no such thing here as eating healthy unless you cook it yourself.

They better not close the gym down for the holidays! People need it to be open in order to combat the holiday food.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:00 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
How do other healthy people here deal with holidays with relatives?
I eat their food, in moderation, avoiding foods I know are triggers for me, keep up my exercise routine, and just relax and enjoy my family's company. Spending time with my family is more important to me than gnashing my teeth over a few days' worth of eating off plan.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:49 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Even with exercising two hours a day 5-6 days a week I don't think my metabolic rate is up to normal. I'm fighting years on medications that helped cause the weight gain and ruined metabolism plus the fact I am a very short woman and short women just cannot eat what the average size person eats and stay a healthy weight..
Are you hypothyroid? If so, I know exactly what you mean.

I would recommend making a giant pot of low-sodium vegetable soup for the holiday season and freezing some.

Have a nice bowl of it before having to sit through the holiday anti-health food disaster meal at the relatives. At least this way you'll be mostly full and won't indulge too much of their crap.

Also, you could also choose to make and bring a HUGE salad full of fresh healthy vegs. as your contribution to the holiday meal.

Just explain that you just felt the need to bring something to share this year
(and then fill up your plate with lots of salad and small bits of their food).

Old 10-23-2010, 11:30 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
How do other healthy people here deal with holidays with relatives? Anyone have any good excuses to get out of the whole thing? lol
I eat whatever I want during the holidays, but I dont go overboard on anything. I'll sample all the cakes and pies the relatives will cook. The dressing, ham, bbq ribs, cranberries, turkey, chicken, dumplings, etc. Just dont eat a lot thats the key.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Are you hypothyroid? If so, I know exactly what you mean.
Yes I am hypothyroid though I take medicine for it. It honestly doesnt seem to help one way or another about taking thyroid hormones. Metabolism still sluggish and even worse I'm always freezing cold even in summer. Always chronically tired all the time to and can easily sleep 10-11 hrs straight if not forced to wake up.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:56 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I eat whatever I want during the holidays, but I dont go overboard on anything. I'll sample all the cakes and pies the relatives will cook.
Awhile back I adopted a holiday food practice that allows me to enjoy holiday foods without going nuts: If the particular food is off plan (I eat all the white meat turkey I want!) and is prepared only at Thanksgiving or Christmas, I will eat it (without going overboard, as you mentioned). If the particular food is available any other time, I leave it alone.

Cranberry sauce, yes; red and green M&Ms, no.
My mom's Italian meatball cookies, yes; chocolate chip cookies, no.
Pumpkin pie, yes; cheese spreads, no.

Etc.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Awhile back I adopted a holiday food practice that allows me to enjoy holiday foods without going nuts: If the particular food is off plan (I eat all the white meat turkey I want!) and is prepared only at Thanksgiving or Christmas, I will eat it (without going overboard, as you mentioned). If the particular food is available any other time, I leave it alone.

Cranberry sauce, yes; red and green M&Ms, no.
My mom's Italian meatball cookies, yes; chocolate chip cookies, no.
Pumpkin pie, yes; cheese spreads, no.

Etc.
We won't have that many options at dad & his wife's house. Neither of them know how to cook. I'm expecting ham, instant mashed potatoes, corn and a dinner roll with store bought sugar free pies & diet coke. No cheese and crackers for appetizers either, probably potato chips and nuts for appetizers. I think I will just eat ham and nuts.

???What are Italian meatball cookies?

Old 10-25-2010, 07:54 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
We won't have that many options at dad & his wife's house. Neither of them know how to cook. I'm expecting ham, instant mashed potatoes, corn and a dinner roll with store bought sugar free pies & diet coke. No cheese and crackers for appetizers either, probably potato chips and nuts for appetizers. I think I will just eat ham and nuts.

???What are Italian meatball cookies?
Yes! Inquiring minds want to know.

One thing you can be sure and do during the holidays is drink plenty of water and eat your normal breakfast. That will help stave off both real hunger and temptation.

I'm sorry about your Thanksgiving menu. I wish you could come to our house. I may not be the greatest cook, but the things we have will be homemade and real food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss