Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Diet soda causes brain damage, seizures, depression, panic attacks, uncontrollable anger and rage. Look it up. You might as well drink gasoline or do heroin. Drink it and you will instantly die. This thread is played out already.
You forgot about the miscarriages, liver damage, severe brain damage in the unborn, bankruptcy, drain blockage in sewers, mutant growths on cattle, ozone holes, and not to mention that it permanently stains silks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 05:24 PM

378 posts, read 1,063,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It doesn't have any calories. I don't get full off of salads or those weight watchers meals(1 of those doesn't make me full) but if I drink a diet soda I'm full.
The same with coffee. How is it bad for you if you add 1 pack of equal to an 8 ounce,which has no calories? I'm a night shift worker and must have coffee.
It is not bad for you and neither is coffee. As long as you are getting proper nutrition too and not just drinking diet soda and coffee. The ONLY reason it could be harmful is you have a heart arrhythmia because caffeine could exacerbate this condition sometimes. I am a nurse practitioner and I drink about 3 diet pepsi's daily and have 2 giant cups of Starbucks with nutrasweet every morning. I've been doing it at least 15 years. I am about 5'7" and weigh 135# and have run 3 marathons... so I'm pretty healthy. Another myth you will here is that diet soda changes to "formaldehyde in your blood" which is a bunch of bull too. Coffee may actually help you lose weight too with the caffeine.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:43 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,264 times
Diet sodas and artificial sweetners have one other glaring problem, besides what is described above from other posters:

It screws with your metabolism. Think about it. When you drink the diet soda, your body thinks its getting sugar, and will start digesting. Then, it will realize that its not sugar, and your metabolism starts taking a nose-dive, because its not actual food. In turn, you end up eating more, because you faked your body out thinking it was getting something when in reality it isn't.

I drink 1 cup of coffee a day. I use 3 teaspoons of non-dairy powder creamer (10 cals/tsp), and 2 teaspoons of sugar (15 cals/tsp). This is my only "bad" habit that I do, and its far more healthier than drinking a diet soda. The above posters are correct in saying that you might as well use real sugar, instead of the chemically processed fake ones.

Ian

Old 11-09-2010, 05:43 PM

Maybe you missed the class on migraines in your nursing class, rungirl. Caffiene can trigger a migraine in people who have migraine syndrome. Though it can also -treat- a migraine once you have one, it's a lot easier to deal with to prevent it than to have to treat it after the fact. In addition, caffeine is a natural diuretic, and it interferes with sleep. It's recommended that you -not- partake of caffeinated beverages or foods (including chocolate) too late in the day.

This is pretty basic stuff which you should have learned.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Diet sodas and artificial sweetners have one other glaring problem, besides what is described above from other posters:

It screws with your metabolism. Think about it. When you drink the diet soda, your body thinks its getting sugar, and will start digesting. Then, it will realize that its not sugar, and your metabolism starts taking a nose-dive, because its not actual food. In turn, you end up eating more, because you faked your body out thinking it was getting something when in reality it isn't.

I drink 1 cup of coffee a day. I use 3 teaspoons of non-dairy powder creamer (10 cals/tsp), and 2 teaspoons of sugar (15 cals/tsp). This is my only "bad" habit that I do, and its far more healthier than drinking a diet soda. The above posters are correct in saying that you might as well use real sugar, instead of the chemically processed fake ones.

Ian
You're better off using real milk than the partially hydrogenated vegetable fat with artificial sweeteners you're getting from that "non-dairy powder creamer." That stuff'll kill ya a lot quicker than a splash of half-and-half.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:50 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You're better off using real milk than the partially hydrogenated vegetable fat with artificial sweeteners you're getting from that "non-dairy powder creamer." That stuff'll kill ya a lot quicker than a splash of half-and-half.
The problem is, I cannot stand the taste of Half and Half. If I have to have something that is marginally bad for me, this is actually pretty good. So, I will take my chances

Ian

Old 11-09-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
The problem is, I cannot stand the taste of Half and Half. If I have to have something that is marginally bad for me, this is actually pretty good. So, I will take my chances

Ian
How about 2% milk, and a pinch of semi-sweet cocoa powder.

Or whipped cream and cinnamon.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:49 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:

Ian
This is 100% the truth. The consumption of artificial sweetners also increases the cravings for real sugar.

I lost 10 lbs (without trying) after I stopped consuming anything that contained artificial sweetners.

ETA: Artificial sweetners can also effect your hormonal and endocrine systems

Old 11-09-2010, 07:32 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
Lets break it down as to why it is bad for you.

Quote:
  • Carbonated Water,
  • Carmel Color
  • Aspartame
  • Phosporic Acid
  • Potassium Benzoate (to protect taste),
  • Natural Flavors
  • Citric Acid
  • Caffeine
Carmel Color: It is made by a carefully controlled heat treatment of carbohydrates, generally in the presence of acids, alkalis, or salts, in a process called caramelization. It is more fully oxidized than caramel candy and has an odor of burnt sugar and a somewhat bitter taste. Its color ranges from pale yellow to amber to dark brown
Asoartame: previously known as Nutra-sweet
Phosphoric Acid:
Phosphoric acid may be used as a "rust converter", by direct application to rusted iron, steel tools, or surfaces. Food wise: has been linked to lower bone density in epidemiological studies. This our family knows for a fact. My husbands Grandma drank cokes constantly and she was extremely frail and her bones broke easily.
Potassium Benzoate: is the potassium salt of benzoic acid
Natural flavors: Just because it says natural doesnt make it "natural" It can be chemically altered.
Citric Acid: As a food additive, citric acid is in common use. It can be added to flavor certain drinks, especially soft drinks. It works well as a meat tenderizer because it tends to break down the meat proteins
As for caffiene, just like with anything else its great in moderation. The more natural, the better.
Our bodies are not made to process all the chemicals that are in foods and drinks nowadays. One of my biggest peeves right now is corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup and the stupid truvia commericals. "Its all sugar and the body doesnt know the difference" and truvia being "all natural" is all crap to me.
HFCS and corn syrup is the same thing. Its over processed crap.

To be completely honest with you, once your body gets use to no cokes and a bunch of caffeine, you feel better and function better. There are days that I have gone with TONS of energy with no caffeine. However, since I am a migraine sufferer, I will drink an unsweet caffinated tea before I result to migraine meds.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:14 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,206 times
Something interesting I noticed. At the gym the really slim and fit people drink water and its always the fat people you see come in with a soft drink or get one out of the machine. They almost always have a diet soda. What does that say?

Diet soda is like a drug. I used to drink it alot. But after a month or so off of it its like you system becomes clear and you don't crave it anymore. After going a long time without soda I had a diet soda recently and thought it tasted nasty. If you don't have aspartame for awhile it will not taste sweet to you when you have it again. Just like when you first start diet coke the first few times you have it it doesn't taste sweet until your tastebuds adjust to its weird aftertaste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss