Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:03 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times

Advertisements

Lovenox is a tough med with lots of precautions. It could have been that. Were you on any aspirin or other thinners before the surgery?
BTW god bless and I appreciate your gratitude towards your nurse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
It HAD to be a nick on an artery. There isn't any other explanation for that much blood loss (8 units). The human body only has 10 or so to begin with.

The doctor tried to say it was due to the Lovenox the nurse gave me after surgery, but the nurse changed my sheet BEFORE giving me the shot and it was covered it blood. The nurse even remarked that there was too much blood. I thank God for that nurse, Nancy, that saved my life that night.

Of course the doctor isn't going to admit to doing wrong and I don't have a blood clotting disorder (have had several major surgeries in the past with no problems).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
I just had my gastric bypass 'roux-en-Y' surgery exactly 2 weeks ago. I am home and recovering, moving from a liquids only to a pureed food diet in a day to two. I am NOT planning on any cosmetic skin removal surgery (not that my insurance will cover it), I'll live with some flab. So glad you're better, chuck ... that must have been so scary for you.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I just had my gastric bypass 'roux-en-Y' surgery exactly 2 weeks ago. I am home and recovering, moving from a liquids only to a pureed food diet in a day to two. I am NOT planning on any cosmetic skin removal surgery (not that my insurance will cover it), I'll live with some flab. So glad you're better, chuck ... that must have been so scary for you.
Good choice Clark. Congrats on the GB surgery, hope all goes well for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Lovenox is a tough med with lots of precautions. It could have been that. Were you on any aspirin or other thinners before the surgery?
BTW god bless and I appreciate your gratitude towards your nurse.
No, I wasn't on aspirin or blood thinners. Have you ever head of Lovenox causing THAT MUCH blood loss? Everyone (medical) I've talked to said Lovenox just doesn't do that. Eight units of blood had to be an artery. Thanks for the blessing!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
OMG, how awful. I'm glad you are well enough to be at home now. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
terrible!!! Glad to see you made it. Holy moly!! Now lets say in one year you look great, do you think you will change your mind on your opinion on having it? I guess Death is enough to say NO!
No. I look okay now, but wish I'd never had it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Good heavens! Glad you made it back home! Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Glad the worst is over and things are now looking up, was wondering how the surgery went, it's tough, so I heard. Feel better soon (I'm sure you will!)
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
id be filing a report with your local dept of surgery ect. i agree, an artery nick and i think a formal report needs to go on record incase it ever happens again (whether you plan on taking further action or not)
That's a good idea. I need to find out what state/federal agency is over hospitals. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
OMG, I just checked back on this and all I can say is that I'm glad you're still with us and posting. What an ordeal!
Thank you stepka!

Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
Quote:

No, I wasn't on aspirin or blood thinners. Have you ever head of Lovenox causing THAT MUCH blood loss? Everyone (medical) I've talked to said Lovenox just doesn't do that. Eight units of blood had to be an artery. Thanks for the blessing!
Yes, lovenox can most certainly cause that much blood loss. Husband had routine abdominal surgery a few years ago and his whole backside turned purple. Turned out he had a reaction to the lovenox which caused him to endure 2 more surgeries and 22 days in the hospital and a near death. Doctor said they removed 800 ml of blood from his body and his organs absorbed another 800 ml of blood. They don't test patients for sensitivities to blood thinners before surgery. I think they should.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:57 AM

274 posts, read 370,826 times
Quote:
You're right Foxywench, it's not for looks. No one would choose scars for looks. There are infection risks and mobility issues with large amounts of hanging skin.
I'm curious about whether anyone has ever had this type of surgery covered by their insurance. I recall someone I worked with saying she got her liposuction covered - I sort of doutbted that, but that's what she said! I would guess it would be a little easier to show the health risks of keeping the excess skin?

Old 06-22-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity12 View Post
I'm curious about whether anyone has ever had this type of surgery covered by their insurance. I recall someone I worked with saying she got her liposuction covered - I sort of doutbted that, but that's what she said! I would guess it would be a little easier to show the health risks of keeping the excess skin?
The resulting surgery and ICU hospitalization were covered by insurance because it was a medical need. I suppose the breast reduction could have been covered by insurance because I had prior back issues, but I didn't try that avenue. The tummy tuck part isn't covered by my insurance, but there may be other insurance companies that might cover it since it can cause health issues (skin infections, etc.).

I HIGHLY doubt liposuction is covered. I just can't wrap my head around that one.

Gastric bypass is covered by my insurance, but then again, some insurance companies won't cover that. Did she have liposuction or gastric bypass? A lot of people get those two procedures confused.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Yes, lovenox can most certainly cause that much blood loss. Husband had routine abdominal surgery a few years ago and his whole backside turned purple. Turned out he had a reaction to the lovenox which caused him to endure 2 more surgeries and 22 days in the hospital and a near death. Doctor said they removed 800 ml of blood from his body and his organs absorbed another 800 ml of blood. They don't test patients for sensitivities to blood thinners before surgery. I think they should.
Well, I found out through my insurance company that is was NINE units of blood. Every medical person I've talked to since this procedure (at least a dozen) has told me that Lovenox does not cause that much bleeding. It would have had to have been MASSIVE doses of Lovenox and like I said, I was already bleeding out BEFORE the nurse gave me the Lovenox. I think surgeons routinely use the lovenox excuse for when they screw up. I'd be looking into your husband's medical records to see if an artery wasn't nicked in his case too.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:19 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
I'll stick to the cocoa butter lotion method..

I put it on my arms, stomach, side, and lower back every day and most people comment on how little hanging skin I have when they find out I had GB surgery. Had mine done 1 Sep 2010 and lost around 135 pounds and that's where I'm staying. If I lean over forward, I can definitely see some skin hanging, but it's really not that bad and definitely not bad enough to consider this surgery. I've read and heard too many stories about it going wrong and killing people and that's more than enough for me. It is annoying to have what looks like a little bit of a stomach, though, especially when I know I'm under 5% body fat and well within the weight standard for my height (6'2" and 175 pounds).

Old 06-24-2011, 12:10 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Chuck, you can go to the hospital's Medical Records office and request copies if all your records. They are legally required to give them to you. You should do this at both hospitals. Then read them!

Thus is how I found out my lung was nicked during a kidney surgery. The doctor never mentioned it.

I always do this to ensure I know exactly what happened.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss