Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 06:10 PM

138 posts, read 373,718 times

Advertisements

so i was planning on starting my diet today but had an unfortunate slip up with some oreo cookies >_<

but i'm definitely starting tomorrow. so i'm going to be working out atleast 45 minutes to one hour in the morning and then another hour in the afternoon before bed

i'm probably going to be eating 450 calories a day

so is it possible that i can lose lets say 4-5 pounds in 6 days or a week?
i'm 5'4 and weigh 139-145 range is that healthy?
and i'm 19 years old and a male.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 06:30 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,203,390 times
With that much exercise, and that very small amount of calories, after 6 or 7 days, you probably won't be able to crawl over to the scales, much less stand up and read the dial.

You need about 1200-1600 calories to sustain life. Anything less than that, can be dangerous. It sounds as if you are a little chubby, but still in the healthy range. Go at it slower and you will find that the weight stays off.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,951,820 times
It isn't healthy to lose weight that fast. The whole point of losing weight is for the weight to stay off. Doing yo-yo diets like that will only make you depressed because eventually you don't lose anything because your body catches on to the trick.

450 calories a day if very dangerous. You need a lot more calories than that or you risk serious health issues.

You are still young, and frankly I think that your weight is fine. Is there a reason you are trying to lose so much weight? Get more active in the gym but be careful about dieting. Just keep the Oreo's to a minimum. Good Luck!

Old 12-20-2010, 06:47 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,483,775 times
In 6 days, you could reasonably lose 2 pounds with exercise and a reduced, but still fully nutritive diet.

With 450 calories a day, you'll be lightheaded in two days.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:08 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,092,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
With that much exercise, and that very small amount of calories, after 6 or 7 days, you probably won't be able to crawl over to the scales, much less stand up and read the dial.

You need about 1200-1600 calories to sustain life. Anything less than that, can be dangerous. It sounds as if you are a little chubby, but still in the healthy range. Go at it slower and you will find that the weight stays off.
Well that's far from true, but 450 certainly will see you in a rather weakened state after a few days. And you can forget about the exercise, you won't have the energy for it.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:20 PM

138 posts, read 373,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
It isn't healthy to lose weight that fast. The whole point of losing weight is for the weight to stay off. Doing yo-yo diets like that will only make you depressed because eventually you don't lose anything because your body catches on to the trick.

450 calories a day if very dangerous. You need a lot more calories than that or you risk serious health issues.

You are still young, and frankly I think that your weight is fine. Is there a reason you are trying to lose so much weight? Get more active in the gym but be careful about dieting. Just keep the Oreo's to a minimum. Good Luck!
thanks people often tell me that they envy my body because i look thin yet built but i just want to be thin not very built. i'm currently a size 31/ or 32 in jeans i'd like to go down to a 29 then i'll be happy.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,951,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neongumbo View Post
thanks people often tell me that they envy my body because i look thin yet built but i just want to be thin not very built. i'm currently a size 31/ or 32 in jeans i'd like to go down to a 29 then i'll be happy.
So, then your focus should be on measurements, not weight. Try running, circuit training, swimming and spinning. Take your measurements and then go from there. But, to be honest, pants size is just a number. If everyone says you are fine the way that you are, then listen to them. If you have a membership to a local gym, trainers may be able to help you reach your goal safely.

Good Luck!

Old 12-21-2010, 05:20 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,186,471 times
Ive heard that a reasonable weight loss is 1 lbs per week. So I guess 2 lbs per week would be a more aggressive, yet still healthy and realistic, approach?

One of the pitfalls of radically reduced food intake is that you'll feel like pigging out eventually, and ruin the intent of a diet. I think the old proverb holds best: slow and steady wins the race.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,375,659 times
As an effort toward a better dietary lifestyle you could try cutting out food items that maybe leading to your less than ideal weight such as bread,butter,pasta,rice,sugar,fried foods,anything that comes in a box..

Old 12-21-2010, 09:00 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,881,196 times
dude, even gastric bypass patients with a stomach the size of a ping pong ball need mroe then 450 calories a day.

youll make youself ill doing it that way.

cut down on the carbs, cut out the junk food, (dont keep oreos or soda ect in the house so you wont be tempted) stay away from fried/greasy foods and focus on getting in plenty of lean healthy protein, veggies and fruit (the more colorful your plate the better) and get plenty of liquids.

even as a gastric bypass patient my dr gets worried if im dropping more than 2-3 lbs a week so a normal person should be looking at 1-2lbs a week safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss