Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times

Advertisements

And again, links to advertisements for products and books, rather than any actual reference to scientific medical evidence. Hogwash, and wrong. If you have to be "on a diet" for 10 years, then you're doing something wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 04:22 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And again, links to advertisements for products and books, rather than any actual reference to scientific medical evidence. Hogwash, and wrong. If you have to be "on a diet" for 10 years, then you're doing something wrong.
I maintain my figure & am attactively slim for my age.... I'm not sure how this makes me unscientific or wrong. I've followed a protocol a long time and it does seem to work. I'm happy-- that's what matters most.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 PM

784 posts, read 3,119,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
I was vegan for a few years in the 90s. A verrrrrry unhealthy diet for Os, I gained 10+ lbs & had a body fat percentage at one point of 30%. I lost all the weight on high protein regimes & have found red meat to be a metabolically good food. Keeps me skinny!
Meat would probably keep me skinny too, but I can't go that route. I do agree though that wheat and dairy put lots of weight on me. I need to lose about 30 pounds right now. But that is because of portion size and too much sugar.

I don't want to go any extremes. Dairy is a useful food for me because of the protein. Moderation in everything is better, but I am lousy at that .

So I am going to try cutting down on dairy, wheat and sugar. But no meat. That is just not an option.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 PM

^^^^^I hear what you're saying, I didn't eat meat for over a decade, as a result gained weight which created more problems than it solved. My take is blood type O is the oldest blood type, we evolved eating meat.....why else are there animals? It's not like I would eat any animal either though if it was a matter of *survival*. I shouldn't have to feel guilty about that.... afterall, the U.S. culture rewards thinness, youth, health etc. It's not like there were any benefits to being fat. I'm happier & that is what matters most to me. The day the U.S. decides to hand out the free Bubble Up is the day I'll give up red meat.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
^^^^^I hear what you're saying, I didn't eat meat for over a decade, as a result gained weight which created more problems than it solved. My take is blood type O is the oldest blood type, we evolved eating meat.....why else are there animals? It's not like I would eat any animal either though if it was a matter of *survival*. I shouldn't have to feel guilty about that.... afterall, the U.S. culture rewards thinness, youth, health etc. It's not like there were any benefits to being fat. I'm happier & that is what matters most to me. The day the U.S. decides to hand out the free Bubble Up is the day I'll give up red meat.
I understand what you are talking about and do not wish to suggest that you are wrong or that you should feel guilty about your choices. Everyone has the right to do whatever they want. And nobody has the right to try to force them to change their behaviors by imposing guilt trips or any other underhand sneaky approaches.

However, I would like to address your comment about why animals are here. I cannot make the assumption that you apparently do that animals are here for us to eat. Animals are here; people are here; people eat animals; therefore, the reason why animals are here is for us to eat them. That is faulty logic, in my opinion.

In my opinion, the difference between humans and animals is that humans have the ability to discriminate between different courses of action. My vegetarianism is built on the premise that the creator created humankind in this way so that each individual could make choices based on Love--I say COULD make choices based on Love, not WOULD do so.

I see Love as being the high road in our existence here. I believe that Love is compatible with the concept of "ahimsa" which means "do no harm". We have to eat something. I believe that plants have much less consciousness than animals. So I choose to harm this lowest form of life, the ones that feel the least amount of pain, to keep my body alive. I do not see Love as being compatible with killing animals for our food, especially when it is clear from the number of healthy vegans in the world – many of whom are born into vegan families, have never eaten meat, and undoubtedly have all different types of blood – that we do not need to eat meat to live healthy lives.

I cannot justify blood type as a reason to stop being a vegetarian because it would mean changing my fundamental belief that we are here to evolve to a higher level of consciousness, an evolution which surely is only possible when we do the least amount of harm to ourselves, each other, all living creatures, and the planet we are living in.

If I am overweight, it is because I do not practice what I preach. I am harming myself through my food choices, not because of my blood type. I am harming myself because I like the taste of things that are not good for me; I like foods high in fat and sugar.

The bottom line is I eat too many calories and I get minimal exercise. I also don't drink enough water. If I change all of these harmful behaviors, I will lose weight – I have done so before, but I always go back to bad eating habits again, and the weight comes back on.

If I followed the O-blood type diet, I would stop eating sugar, wheat, dairy and eat more lean protein. I could do all of those things without eating meat.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:31 PM

I'm happier & more productive as a carnivore. Animals don't create or do anything on this planet. They need to be removed & blood type Os will have to evolve accordingly.

I really hated life as a fat vegetarian, though & would never go back to that life. Cows have not enlightened me or helped me in any way in this life--- it seems they have no purpose except to serve as a source of food to the oldest humans on the earth... I have power being a blood type O, and many of my life choices are made from that vantage point. I did not even work much when I was a vegan & was more or less a college drop out....

Old 02-26-2011, 04:18 PM

As I said, to each his own.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:24 PM

I've been thinking about your situation & how you can lose 30 lbs without red meat....You can do it but not without high quality animal protein. Eggs, egg whites, whether protein powder (doesn't work well for me but it's a possibility), chicken, fish etc--- you will need at least 70+ grams of protein in order to maintain muscle if you choose to exercise intensley several days a week which the diet recommends.......I walk these days but gained more muscle from elliptical trainer & weights.....gaining & keeping muscle mass is a big blood type O battle, but it does definitely help. L-carnitine supplements are also a possibility.

I've got the Dukan book which I've started reading, its very interesting. Dukan says we are designed to eat animals. He implies that we're psychologically & emotionally programmed to do so. Not eating animals he says is not living the way we're created to live......it's an interesting viewpoint, one I've never read. What I've read is that we evolved eating animals, therefore it's correct nutritionally....never read that it's what we're designed to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
As I said, to each his own.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:43 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,130,581 times
I looked into it when I was doing a lot of research because of my own problems (autoimmune disease). For some time I tried following it quite religiously. Since I found out that certain blood types are more susceptible to some diseases, it makes sense to me that they very well may react differently to different food. Also, some blood types are older and some are newer; in other words, food availability was different at the time they appeared. They correspond to various regions of the world and it’s understandable that these types are accustomed to the diet of that area. I’ve also read opinions advising people to eat what their ancestors have eaten because their bodies are best adapted to that kind of food and metabolize it best. There are sources showing the distribution of blood types around the world.

I’ve always been a bit suspicious of various “miracles” from China and other parts of Southeast Asia. They may be miracles for THEM, but I’m not Chinese and I or my ancestors have never been on their diet. On a side note, nobody’s ancestors have eaten grains for too long, and I can see how they may be the culprit for obesity. I certainly gain weight when I eat a lot of carbs.

I’m type B+ and according to the blood type diet chicken is not good for me. What I found interesting is that I came across absolutely scientific research suggesting chicken is not good for anybody because it contains some protein very similar to human proteins, which can cause agglutination of red blood cells (which happens to be my exact problem). I had eliminated chicken for a long time from my diet. I started eating it again because there’s really nothing I can do to pinpoint the source of my problems, but I try to do it less often than I used to.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
It's funny how the actual inventor's (yes, inventor - it is his creation, it's not a valid scientific discovery, or development.) website is broken down into sections...when you read a section on one bloodtype, it says certain foods are toxins, and backs up the claim by stating "historical" information about how once upon a time, everyone was that blood type (which is nonsense).

And then, you go to read the other blood type's section, and it says you should eat all those toxins, because they're good for you, and historically supported by the fact that humans evolved and moved to areas where these foods flourished, and now our stomachs can handle it..but to avoid all those "toxins" that the other blood type should eat.

Love it how L&L keeps shoving the Dukan and low-carb diet down everyone's throats - while claiming that of course it's healthy, because he's blood type O..

but according to the blood type scam website, people who are blood type A should AVOID meat, and ENCOURAGE grain.

So I guess the Dukan diet isn't good for everyone and in fact, if you were to believe the bloodtype diet website, is actually TOXIC to millions of people worldwide.

It's all stuff and nonsense. The blood type diet is a sham, and so is the Dukan diet.

If you want to LOSE weight:

Eat less fat.
Eat fewer carbs.
Eat smaller and more frequent meals.
Exercise more.

How much less? Less than what you're eating now. Enough less that you start losing weight. However much less that is, that's how much less you should eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss