Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:00 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,418,236 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of you are going to say I don't need to lose weight, but for myself, I'd like to, but only a little bit. I'm 5'4" and weigh about 123 lbs. This is about an 8 lbs weight gain for me and honestly, I got to my lower weight from a bout of "depression" (I put in quotes because I was never diagnosed and it was situational, not really a health issue) I suffered from a few years ago (I weighed between 135-140 lbs before which was all through high school to a couple years after) and my appetite and the way I eat hasn't really been the same since I got through the "depression", so that might explain why I haven't really gained much of the weight back. It took me about almost 2 years to gain 8 lbs back, but it doesn't mean I'm happy with it (I'm very small boned so it doesn't look right, to me at least). I was a very thin child and my highest weight was only what I stated above in high school so I have no idea how to lose only a small amount of weight. I feel like if I had 30 lbs or more to lose, it might take bigger adjustments that would be more obvious, though maybe I'm wrong.

I already don't drink soda (haven't really my whole life), have an occasional alcoholic drink from time to time, sometimes I have coffee and tea, but mostly I drink water. My biggest culprit is my sweet tooth and getting enough protein in my diet and also I love salty/spicy food (though that can be good or bad I guess). I love veggies, I like fruit but I don't love it aside from a few that I love. I'm not a big bread person and I have never really liked fast food or any greasy food. I guess the reason I can't figure out how to drop this small amount of weight is because I don't eat that bad to begin with especially since I do love healthy food and I don't eat out hardly ever, I just don't know how to cook. My mom and a lot of my friends make most of the food I eat since they're better cooks (bad I know, I'm working on learning!). Also, my sweet tooth makes me crave something sweet at least once a day (I don't like candy though, mostly chocolates and cookies are my weakness). I'm trying to weed myself off of sweets to the point where I have only one day a week where I will allow myself a couple of cookies or something, and I only buy sweets myself if I'm absolutely craving it (time of the month usually), but its really hard. My other dilemma is that I'm lactose intolerant .

Oh and I'm slowly building up my fitness level and I have dance practices for a show I'm dancing in and I just started running a few times a week.

So based on that, how do you safely lose such a small amount of weight? I've only ever lost my weight by accident, as I stated above, and not actively tried to do so, so I'm really lost..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 03:04 AM

14,569 posts, read 23,100,165 times
Dropping 3500 calories a week (500 per day) is usually good for 1-2lbs of weight loss per week when combined with regular exercise. That's completely safe and easily attainable. You just have to be sure to actually exercise and not just cardio. Include strength and resistance training as well.

Using protein shakes as meal/snack replacement should be help you lose some of those calories. Shop around to find one that won't upset your lactose intolerance and has a calorie level you're comfortable with. You can find them in powder, candy bar and ready to drink form.

If you can find some, you might consider picking up some L-Carnitine and Amino Acid supplements. They will help increase your metabolism and provide some energy.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Dropping 3500 calories a week (500 per day) is usually good for 1-2lbs of weight loss per week when combined with regular exercise. That's completely safe and easily attainable. You just have to be sure to actually exercise and not just cardio. Include strength and resistance training as well.

Using protein shakes as meal/snack replacement should be help you lose some of those calories. Shop around to find one that won't upset your lactose intolerance and has a calorie level you're comfortable with. You can find them in powder, candy bar and ready to drink form.

If you can find some, you might consider picking up some L-Carnitine and Amino Acid supplements. They will help increase your metabolism and provide some energy.
Thanks david! that sounds very doable! I start dance conditioning next week and there is a lot of resistance training with that. Once I learn more exercises I can even do them on my own as well. Are those supplements expensive?

Old 01-10-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Thanks david! that sounds very doable! I start dance conditioning next week and there is a lot of resistance training with that. Once I learn more exercises I can even do them on my own as well. Are those supplements expensive?
Sounds like a good plan. No, L-Carnitine and Amino Acids are pretty cheap. I generally prefer to take my carnitine in liquid form, but pill and powder are effective too.

l-carnitine - Google Search

Bodybuilding.com - L-Carnitine Products Sorted By Lowest Price!

Here's a good Amino Acid product.

Bodybuilding.com - Optimum Superior Amino 2222 - Full Amino Acid Spectrum On sale now!

Old 01-11-2011, 02:28 PM

17,442 posts, read 16,615,018 times
I would just South Beach and walk/jog/run or dance that amount off. You'll have those pounds gone in no time!

Last edited by springfieldva; 01-11-2011 at 03:05 PM..

Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I would just South Beach and walk/jog/run or dance that amount off. You'll have those pounds gone in no time!
I've tried the south beach bars and they make my stomach hurt, bad. I think they use some odd sugar alcohols or something. I grew up on a middle eastern/meditteranean diet and that's food my body likes the best it seems. But ya, been walking/running. Hopefully I'll tone up some more with conditioning too.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The South Beach diet is pretty good, but any workout plan that doesn't have some strength and resistance training included needs to be re-evaluated.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:06 AM

757 posts, read 2,085,793 times
First off, the reason why you want sweets all the time is because they put high fructose corn syrup in most processed foods. Studies have shown it has addictive qualities unlike real sugar. Eat your sweets....just avoid anything with hfcs in it and your cravings will go away.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
First off, the reason why you want sweets all the time is because they put high fructose corn syrup in most processed foods. Studies have shown it has addictive qualities unlike real sugar. Eat your sweets....just avoid anything with hfcs in it and your cravings will go away.
makes sense! Everything is processed in this country though so how do I avoid it?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:11 PM

17,442 posts, read 16,615,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I've tried the south beach bars and they make my stomach hurt, bad. I think they use some odd sugar alcohols or something. I grew up on a middle eastern/meditteranean diet and that's food my body likes the best it seems. But ya, been walking/running. Hopefully I'll tone up some more with conditioning too.
I've done South Beach before (low glycemic foods - veggies, lean meat, fish, lentils, whole grains), and it does take off the weight pretty quickly, but I've never tried the SB bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss