Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:12 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,297 times

Advertisements

I'm extremely confused. I've been on the Power 90 workout program for about a week, and have seen weight loss already, and feeling much better internally. But what I don't understand is how it is possible to burn more calories than I eat per day. Now, it is recommended that I eat at least 1200 calories per day. So it's still a challenge for me to eat that much, but I'm eating over a thousand per day and getting better (diet so far has been about an 8.5 out of 10 for "healthiness"). The workouts I'm doing, I have no way of telling how many calories I'm burning in each workout. I workout everyday in the morning before breakfast, and they alternate so that every other day I'm doing cardio/abs, and every other day I'm doing strength training, and this is a six days a week program.

Besides buying a calorie-burning-counter, how am I supposed to tell how many calories are being burned each day? I feel like I'm only burning maybe 500 calories (though I have no real way of knowing how many I'm actually burning, but I sweat a LOT), then I have to eat so many calories in a day, and the rest of the day I'm not very physically active outside of walking from here to there, lifting this and that, cleaning this and that, maybe dancing to a song or so.

Is it possible that I am burning more than 1200 calories per day with this kind of lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:45 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
You burn energy just "being". Here's a link explaining it all:

Basal metabolic rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-24-2011, 10:12 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,264 times
Wow... you are now WORKING your way up to 1200 calories? This was BEFORE you started your workout/diet routine?? Sounds like you need a crash course in nutrition too. 1200 calories for most folks is WAY too low, even for weight loss. I know some people average 1200-1500 calories for a more "extreme" fat burning, but thats pretty low.

Most folks have a BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) of at least 1500, which is basically what you would burn if you were near bed-ridden. From a sedentary standpoint, most folks need somewhere of at least 1750-2100 calories, and if you introduce regular exercise into the mix, it goes up from there! I would be curious to as what you eat, especially before you started this Power 90 routine, and how you are figuring up your caloric intake.

Ian

Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Wow... you are now WORKING your way up to 1200 calories? This was BEFORE you started your workout/diet routine?? Sounds like you need a crash course in nutrition too. 1200 calories for most folks is WAY too low, even for weight loss. I know some people average 1200-1500 calories for a more "extreme" fat burning, but thats pretty low.

Most folks have a BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) of at least 1500, which is basically what you would burn if you were near bed-ridden. From a sedentary standpoint, most folks need somewhere of at least 1750-2100 calories, and if you introduce regular exercise into the mix, it goes up from there! I would be curious to as what you eat, especially before you started this Power 90 routine, and how you are figuring up your caloric intake.

Ian
I agree and I'd advise the OP to have their RMR measured (it's hard to find a place that does a true BMR).

I had mine done and my RMR was averaged to 1012 which is low (had it tested 3 times). Not everyone has a low RMR and you will be doing more harm then good if you contine to eat so little calories with the exercise program you have in place. Your body is going to starve.

Oh, and you can get a heartrate monitor to determine approx. how many calories you are burning during a workout.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:09 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,682 times
txsizzler, that makes sense. I tried to do a program that would help me count calories, and it said I could only eat 1,170 or something calories per day to lose weight. Sounded very crazy to me!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:19 PM

I have been eating between 1,000 and 1200 calories per day, not intentionally aiming that low, but this is my best estimate right now. So for a better idea, these are the most common foods I've been eating:

Breakfast: one cup of cereal with half a cup of milk and fruits; or two poached eggs and one slice of whole wheat toast with fruit
Snack: one 20g protein bar with fruit, or a handful of mixed raw nuts, or a 1/4 of a grapefruit
Lunch: 3 ounces of tuna with a teaspoon of olive oil, a tspn of mayonnaise, tsp of mustard, one hard-boiled egg white, with lettuce between two slices of whole wheat bread; or a turkey sandwich with grapefruit
Snack: a high protein bar, or one hard-boiled egg white; or 1/4 grapefruit
Dinner: Stir fry vegetables with 1/2 cup of brown rice and 4 ounces of skinless chicken breast; or 4ounces of tuna with a cup of collard greens and fruit

What am I doing wrong here? I'm finding it pretty challenging to eat so much food in a single day, but is this not enough?? My height and weight are 5'4 173 by the way, and the recommended meal plan for me is supposed to be high in protein, low in carbs, and moderate in fat, with between 1200 and 1500 calories per day. I have lost weight (and inches!) so far, but am I stunting my weight loss by not eating more than this?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:26 PM

Oh, and before I started the program, I was eating maybe 600-800 calories per day (not intentionally). I was putting on weight because I wasn't physically active at all and much of what I ate was too much fat, like pizza, spaghetti with sausage, potatoes, beef, lots of condiments, lots of sweetened cereal and milk, buffalo wings, etc., many filling foods. So I would eat it in a single setting and then not have to worry about eating again because I felt full. So that's why the calorie intake was so low.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 PM

130 posts, read 336,102 times
I would be starving if I ate as little as you ate. You burn calories though for just "being".

Old 01-26-2011, 10:17 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,137 times
Your body is saying "I'm starving and hanging on to every last calorie put into my body" for real. I've lost a lot of weight...I'm 5 feet 1 inch and eat 1500 calories on days I don't work out and 1700 calories the days I do work out. I've tried the 1200 calorie thing in the past and nothing happened.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:50 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,624 times
Sometimes it takes weeks to start showing up, especially if your body thinks it's "starving". I've had that happen a lot. Just keep at it and one day you'll notice you've lost 4-5 pounds in one day. Weight loss is like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss