Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,114,767 times

Advertisements

I am hypothyroid...not yet regulated on meds...still going for bloodwork every 6 weeks.

You can still eat healthy and exercise. There is no need to push HCG into your system just because you are hypothyroid

Oh, and I've been working at losing all my weight for 6 YEARS...it's been a struggle and a challenge but I still keep pushing forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 PM

14 posts, read 63,000 times
If you are hypo and cant lose weight even though one works out an hour a day and eats about 1400 calories max, it's a problem. Especially if there is other health issues. Seems to be that any risks associated with HCG is better than any risk from diabetes.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:42 PM

17,236 posts, read 57,240,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Props are to be given to the FDA for coming out and saying what I and many others here have been saying for years - HCG is a Scam. A Fraud. Useless. A Sham. A joke.

HCG weight-loss products are fraudulent, FDA says - USATODAY.com

Thank you MaTheBanker for bringing this to our attention.

Hopefully there will be no more "Where can I get HCG?" threads now.
Sadly, no, people tend to believe what they want to believe, not what the data tells them is true.

What about all those "male enhancement" pills, drops, etc? Is there a shred of scientific evidence they do anything, or are even harmless? NO!

But is there a huge market for this "snake oil"? YES. Because it promises something that people WANT, not because they have any real reason to think it will really work. And few in the general population have a clue how a double-blind test is done on a drug anyway, or why it's necessary to have reliable results.

Scary to think if any of us end up in a jury trial, the jury will be made up primarily of such gulliable people who have no concept of evidence, in either a judicial or scientific sense.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooelemom View Post
If you are hypo and cant lose weight even though one works out an hour a day and eats about 1400 calories max, it's a problem. Especially if there is other health issues. Seems to be that any risks associated with HCG is better than any risk from diabetes.
What are you doing to work out? You may not be consuming enough calories if you are doing vigorous exercise an hour a day. Most people burn about 1200 in a sedentary/relaxed state (think of it as laying in bed all day).

If you consume too few calories your body will hold onto every ounce to prevent starvation.

I disagree that the risks of HCG are better than the risk of diabetes. Diabetes can be controlled with proper diet and exercise and there is a lot of information out there on diabetes and the long term effects...how do you know what the long term effects are of HCG? You'd be playing with fire if you ask me...not to mention once you go off the HCG you'd probably gain back even more weight because you didn't make a life change, you shot yourself up with hormones.

When I hit a plateau early on in my weight loss I complained to a friend and I said I was doing X, Y and Z and was getting frustrated because the weight wasn't coming off...she responded "and how is that working out?"

If what you are doing isn't working...change it!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:53 PM

Nothing vigorous. I walk/ jog an hour a day. 3 miles, usually a little more. 2 days a week, sometimes 3 I do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Usually 2 on that one. I eat correctly - we don't eat any processed junk at all. We use whole foods. No sugars, organic fruits and veggies, farm raised and grass fed meats.

Having a thyroid issue it slows down your metabolism. Really, its HARD and for some, like me, proven impossible to lose weight. I exercise because I enjoy it and for the health benefits I have given up hope of losing the weight I need to do reverse this diabetes diagnosis from a week ago. If I can lose even 20% of my weight I would be much better off as far as diabetes goes but after a couple years of eating right and walking/jogging/jillian its not working. What is left to try????

Have any ideas?

Also....FDA approved??? What a load of **** that is. Look at at all the big pharma " FDA approved" drugs out there.....Lipator and many others also have serious side effects. Do they not? I'm on FDA approved Synthroid. That has possible serious side effects. Doesn't the FDA approve liquor, beer and cigarettes?

And for the record, never said I was doing HCG. Just need to figure something out because I refuse to let this stupid thyroid ruin my life any longer

Last edited by Tooelemom; 01-26-2011 at 08:12 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Nothing vigorous. I walk/ jog an hour a day. 3 miles, usually a little more. 2 days a week, sometimes 3 I do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Usually 2 on that one.

Having a thyroid issue it slows down your metabolism. Really, its HARD and for some, like me, proven impossible to lose weight. I exercise because I enjoy it and for the health benefits I have given up hope of losing the weight I need to do reverse this diabetes diagnosis from a week ago. If I can lose even 20% of my weight I would be much better off as far as diabetes goes but after a couple years of eating right and walking/jogging/jillian its not working. What is left to try????

Have any ideas?
When was the last time they tested your TSH levels? Are they looking at Free T3, Free T4 and antibody as well? What were your results? If you look at my TSH only, it looks fantastic...within normal range, a bit lower perhaps but hovering around 1. When you look at my T4 and T3 they are still awful (which is why I'm still doing 6 week appts). Once they get my numbers level I do two 6 week appointments and then I can "graduate" to 3 month appointments. When I have two consecutive stable numbers at the 3 month marks then I graduate to every 6 months and will stay there indefinitely. Hopefully they are continuing to monitor your numbers carefully.

Hypo does make it HARD to lose weight..and believe me, I totally understand. I've hit another plateau that is now going on 4 weeks. It gets frustrating but then I come here for advice, ideas..etc. That was the reason I started the "what are you eating today?" thread.

I had diabetes with my last pregnancy (he's 6 years old now) and at that time I had 100lbs to lose. Let me tell you how impossible and daunting that sounded to me. BUT..I also had a taste of what living with diabetes was like and I knew I NEVER wanted to have to do that for life. That was my motivation. My Endo at that time assured me that if I didn't make any life changes he could bet his practice on a type 2 diagnosis before the 5 year mark. You were just diagnosed but that doesn't mean you can't take this bull by the horns.

Are you on Metfornin or similar yet? Have you started insulin or are you trying to control it with diet and exercise?

The most important thing to remember is that you NEED your bloodsugar to be fairly consistent through the day. The peaks and dips are going to hurt your weight loss efforts.

Have they set you up with a nutritionist yet? That was the biggest help for me. I saw her through my pregnancy and then continued to see her for 8 weeks after the baby was born. She set me up with an eating plan that would help me lose weight and when I started getting discouraged I joined Weight watchers, mainly for the support. If you can't do weight watchers do you have a friend that can support you through this? Maybe someone who is trying to lose weight as well?

I wish you well. I know how hard it is but it CAN be done...and I am living proof. It has been a very long 6 years and even though I'm down 80lbs I still have 20 to go to my goal (and 10 to be within my healthy weight range!). Drive and determination, and when you feel defeated, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and flip defeat the bird!

There are a lot of knowledgable people on these boards and they can be a great resource as well. When I have a question or need advice I come here and search the board and post when I can't find my answer in older posts.

OH, and I also wanted to add that I'm not sure what kind of workout the shred video is...but if it's not weight training start adding some weights to your workouts. That will help!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 PM

Yep. Just had blood taken 2 weeks ago. TSH is 7.23 . FT4 - .9 and FT# - well, I forgot but was low as well. I was just recently diagnosed with hypo and just went on synthroid a week ago.

As for diabetes, also diagnosed a week ago. My thinking is a lot of the time hypo and diabetes go hand in hand. It's a vicious cycle. Need to lose weight so we can get rid of diabetes, can't lose with with hypothyroid. And, yes, I was just diagnosed a week ago but I had hypo for years that nobody was willing to test me for and used every excuse in the book for my symptoms. No, I'm not on Metaformin. I refuse to be on any drugs other than synthroid right now and even that I am hoping to be changed to a natural thyroid with my next appointment.

I've met with the nutritionist and I left laughing at her. She recommended so many artificial foods. Asparatame, processed foods - I refuse to do either as we eat whole foods, chemical free. I use Spark People.com for my nutritional/diabetic needs and stay within my limits there 90% of the time.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Yep. Just had blood taken 2 weeks ago. TSH is 7.23 . FT4 - .9 and FT# - well, I forgot but was low as well. I was just recently diagnosed with hypo and just went on synthroid a week ago.

As for diabetes, also diagnosed a week ago. My thinking is a lot of the time hypo and diabetes go hand in hand. It's a vicious cycle. Need to lose weight so we can get rid of diabetes, can't lose with with hypothyroid. And, yes, I was just diagnosed a week ago but I had hypo for years that nobody was willing to test me for and used every excuse in the book for my symptoms. No, I'm not on Metaformin. I refuse to be on any drugs other than synthroid right now and even that I am hoping to be changed to a natural thyroid with my next appointment.

I've met with the nutritionist and I left laughing at her. She recommended so many artificial foods. Asparatame, processed foods - I refuse to do either as we eat whole foods, chemical free. I use Spark People.com for my nutritional/diabetic needs and stay within my limits there 90% of the time.
Okay so your TSH is pretty high still but your FT4 looks like it's in normal range but a bit low if they are using the .7 - 2.0 scale. They got me down to around 2 but I still felt crappy. At 1 I feel pretty good, still some symptoms but the energy level is SO much better. I would suggest you take your meds at the same time every day (I'm sure they told you this). There were a few days I couldn't take them until later in the morning and I felt like hell...VERY moody, exhausted, headaches.

A week into my drug treatment (levothyroixine) I didn't notice any change. I started feeling a little better after about 4 weeks. At 6 weeks they changed my dose and I felt even better. I go Friday to find out what my newest results are and while I hope everything is now in normal range, I still feel a little "eh".

Once I went on levo though, I dropped about 12 pounds pretty easily and then another 8 came off with the last increase. It takes FOREVER (or so it feels) to get regulated so be patient and keep doing what you are doing.

The nutritionist I saw took a very wholistic approach. She was actually a big fan of the raw diet but I found it difficult to make a drastic change like that. She never promoted "fake sugar" and "fat free". I try not to use processed foods but I do buy hummus, triscuits, canned tomatoes...etc.

I know what you mean with the delayed diagnosis. I cannot tell you how many tests I had done and nobody ever thought to test my thyroid. At my physical I told my doctor I was concerned because my eyelashes were going bald and my hair was falling out in clumps. I also expressed concern over other symptoms and that's when the lightbulb went off...finally!

Don't feel defeated because of your diagnosis. I know it's new and I'm sure overwhelming but just think...it can only get better now that you know what the issue is.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 PM

Thank you. Nice to see I am not alone in this. Best of luck to you and your upcoming test.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:02 PM

12,973 posts, read 34,022,200 times
Quote:
and what do you suggest about people who are hypothyroid?
Start another thread about it and you'll get plenty of responses.

HCG IS FRAUDULENT, USLESS, HARMFUL, UNHEALTHY AND WILL COST YOU SO MUCH MORE THAN HIRING YOUR OWN NUTRITIONIST AND PERSONAL TRAINER.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER TAKE, CONSIDER OR EVEN DREAM OF TAKING HCG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss