Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:08 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
HCG in any form, including injections, is ineffective for losing weight. It is an expensive placebo. Any weight loss is due to the extreme calorie restriction.

The only legitimate use for HCG is for some women who have ovulation problems who are trying to get pregnant. In the doses used for that, there can be sometimes serious side effects. At the doses proposed for weight loss, it is probably not going to do anything dangerous. Worthless waste of money, but harmless.
I used HCG for weight loss back in 1978 before it became fashionable. At that time, I did not reduce my calorie intake. There was no other variable factor involved with my weight loss other than taking the shots, therefore, I can only conclude that they worked.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 02:30 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I used HCG for weight loss back in 1978 before it became fashionable. At that time, I did not reduce my calorie intake. There was no other variable factor involved with my weight loss other than taking the shots, therefore, I can only conclude that they worked.

20yrsinBranson
Your conclusion would be wrong then. Even the people who push the HCG diet don't claim that it's the HCG that makes you lose weight. It's the diet you follow when you're injected with the stuff, that makes you lose weight. They advertise this, they stress it. The whole point of this scam, is that you go on this really ridiculously stupidly dangerously life-threateningly low-calorie diet. BUT - they claim - if you get this growth hormone injected into your veins, it'll make you feel full, so you won't feel like you're starving yourself.

Which - you are. Starving yourself, that is. IF you do what the HCG diet instructions tell you to do. And according to their own instructions, THAT is what causes you to lose the weight. The starvation diet. Not the HCG. The HCG, they claim, merely makes starving yourself more tolerable.

That doesn't work either, but that's what they claim.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Your conclusion would be wrong then. Even the people who push the HCG diet don't claim that it's the HCG that makes you lose weight. It's the diet you follow when you're injected with the stuff, that makes you lose weight. They advertise this, they stress it. The whole point of this scam, is that you go on this really ridiculously stupidly dangerously life-threateningly low-calorie diet. BUT - they claim - if you get this growth hormone injected into your veins, it'll make you feel full, so you won't feel like you're starving yourself.

Which - you are. Starving yourself, that is. IF you do what the HCG diet instructions tell you to do. And according to their own instructions, THAT is what causes you to lose the weight. The starvation diet. Not the HCG. The HCG, they claim, merely makes starving yourself more tolerable.

That doesn't work either, but that's what they claim.
Au contraire, mon chere!

HCG is the same hormone that the body secretes in pregnancy (the very chemical that used to kill the rabbit, back in the old days).

When you body *thinks* that it is pregnant, a very dramatic changes in your physiology (ask any woman who's been there and she'll agree). In fact, your body begins to LIQUIFY your fat stores in an effort to extract vital nutrients that has been sequestered in your fat cells (ostensibly, to "feed the baby"). The body uses what it can from the cell and you excrete the balance.

People who have taken HCG shots in the proper dosage will tell you that they exhibit a feeling "under there skin" that feels like someone is rubbing very fine sandpaper back and forth. This is the HCG liquifying the fat cells.

HCG very definitely will reduce fat. As I mentioned, a couple of times, I have done it and NOT altered my dietary intake at all and lost weight. However, since you are messing around with your homones, *and* causing heaven-only-knows what kind of toxins to be released into the body and blood stream, I do not recommend it.

Losing weight the "old fashioned way" is much more sensible and I presume safer as well.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-20-2011, 08:27 PM

What you're posting, is tripe from the manufacturers about the claims made by the doctor who observed pregnant women who were nutritionally deficient, and "fat boys" in India. This same doctor did no valid studies at all, and came to the conclusion based on a couple of experiments with a few subjects that he injected and forced to starve themselves on a 500 calorie diet.

The claim you make - is unfounded in ANY scientific research and was generally regarded as untrue not long after the doctor's death in 1970 - over 40 years ago.

HCG doesn't burn fat, it doesn't sand fat, it doesn't melt fat. If it did what you are believing, then pregnant women would need to consume exhorbitant amounts of food just to keep themselves from starving while their unborn babies are fed through the womb. HCG doesn't melt fat to nourish the unborn child. Unborn babies don't get their nourishment from melted fat. It is a myth, created by a doctor who based his entire hypothesis on observations with no blind or double-blind studies, that was debunked over 40 years ago.

You either lost weight because of some -other- hormonal situation going on in your body at the time, or you -did- change something about your diet/exercise and lost it that way. The fact that you were taking HCG when you lost weight is coincidental, not evidential.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:31 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,349,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Au contraire, mon chere!

HCG is the same hormone that the body secretes in pregnancy (the very chemical that used to kill the rabbit, back in the old days).

When you body *thinks* that it is pregnant, a very dramatic changes in your physiology (ask any woman who's been there and she'll agree). In fact, your body begins to LIQUIFY your fat stores in an effort to extract vital nutrients that has been sequestered in your fat cells (ostensibly, to "feed the baby"). The body uses what it can from the cell and you excrete the balance.

People who have taken HCG shots in the proper dosage will tell you that they exhibit a feeling "under there skin" that feels like someone is rubbing very fine sandpaper back and forth. This is the HCG liquifying the fat cells.

HCG very definitely will reduce fat. As I mentioned, a couple of times, I have done it and NOT altered my dietary intake at all and lost weight. However, since you are messing around with your homones, *and* causing heaven-only-knows what kind of toxins to be released into the body and blood stream, I do not recommend it.

Losing weight the "old fashioned way" is much more sensible and I presume safer as well.

20yrsinBranson
This is one of the worst diets out there!. Yikes! Google this and you will see many HORROR stories!

Last edited by njsocks; 05-21-2011 at 02:40 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 12:06 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
I noticed a few new HCG posts recently in some of the cities forums. Hopefully, those who may be considering this can read this thread and do the RIGHT and SMART thing which is to NOT TRY HCG!!

Old 03-30-2012, 04:17 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,036,935 times
Any idiot who claims this 'diet' works is in need of some serious help.

Anyone can and will lost weight on a 500 calorie a day diet. I know several ppl who did this diet, they lost weight and they lost it quickly. They looked like cancer patients, but they did lose weight.

And when they 'finished' their diet, they gained back every pound and then some because this wonderful diet doesn't teach you about portion control, excerise, or making better food choices.

Overweight people are lazy. They don't want to put the time and effort into excerising, reading labels and actually making themselves eat less.....they want a miracle pill, shot or food....there isn't one.

Eat less, Eat better and Move More...that's the diet that works.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Overweight people are lazy. They don't want to put the time and effort into excerising, reading labels and actually making themselves eat less.....they want a miracle pill, shot or food....there isn't one.

Eat less, Eat better and Move More...that's the diet that works.
You know, I could jump into the Florida threads and post, "People from Florida are stupid. They come to the Weight Loss folder and tell people that overweight people are lazy."

But that would be insulting most of the people from Florida, when I really only mean to target a specific person.

Perhaps try using part of the brain that allows for cognizant thought, and consider what you posted...and where you're posting it.

If "overweight people" were so lazy, this part of City-Data woudn't exist. Some overweight people are lazy. Some are not. Just like some people from Florida are stupid, and some are not.

Get the point?

Old 03-30-2012, 06:20 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,036,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You know, I could jump into the Florida threads and post, "People from Florida are stupid. They come to the Weight Loss folder and tell people that overweight people are lazy."

But that would be insulting most of the people from Florida, when I really only mean to target a specific person.

Perhaps try using part of the brain that allows for cognizant thought, and consider what you posted...and where you're posting it.

If "overweight people" were so lazy, this part of City-Data woudn't exist. Some overweight people are lazy. Some are not. Just like some people from Florida are stupid, and some are not.

Get the point?

Those overweight ppl who lose weight by doing it right..are not lazy.

Those who expect a pill or shot or potion to make them thin..are.

Clearly you are smart enough to realize that and if you're not...oh, well.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:50 AM

I guess you didn't get the point. I'll spell it out for you:

Say what you mean. If you don't say what you mean, then people will interpret what you -do- say, for what you mean to say.

If you mean to say "The overweight people who are looking for a quick fix, are lazy" then say so. If you say "Overweight people are lazy" you are not excluding "those overweight people who actually work hard to get healthy again."

Generalized cat is generalized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss