Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 04:30 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,163,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Why so hostile? The recipe to lose weight has NEVER changed. Only crackpot options for people unwilling to make the proper sacrifices has changed because none of them have ever worked. My story is not unique. In fact, anyone who has ever lost weight and kept it off has the exact same story as me. Imagine that.
Losing weight is NOT complicated. In fact it is very simple. It may be hard to stick with if you are not willing to make the proper adjustments, but it is not complicated. Anyone can do it. Really!
Diet drugs are NEVER the answer. Ever.
But people can spend their money and hope and dream and wish your weight comes off with minimal effort. They will always end up disappointed until the next 'diet craze' comes round the bend.
I'm not hostile, just passionate and extremely defensive about the subject of weight loss and how it is beaten into the heads of people over and over that there is one way and one way only, when there too many things to factor in to make it a one size fits all approach.

I'm glad that for you, losing weight isn't complicated. But for me--and dare I say many more--keeping it off is a tough row to hoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 04:48 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,163,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Weight is *a* measure (not the measure) of overall health and risk of disease, injury, and death.

If someone is 500 pounds, and gets his glucose levels closer to normal, great. But he's still at risk for a heart attack, a stroke, and broken knees from having to bear the burden of the same 500 pounds on his legs that he had last month when his glucose levels were up. He is also at EXTREMELY high risk of death, should anything happen to him involving the need for surgery. And that's assuming they can even intubate him to do the surgery at all.

In the case of the morbidly obese, glucose levels, blood pressure levels, heart rate levels, are -not- enough to give kudos. In the morbidly obese, weight -must- come down. You show me you can lose 2 pounds in a 2-week period AND lower your blood pressure from 150/90 to 140/87, then I'll get excited about it and cheer you on. But if your blood pressure drops a few points, and you're still 500 pounds, I'll just chalk it up to you being more relaxed today than you were last time you came in for a blood pressure check, and I'll tell you to get back out there and work your butt off to lose a few pounds, which is what you should've done a month ago.

If you're just 20-30 pounds overweight, and you have a blood pressure problem, or high glucose levels, then hey - it's no biggie if you don't lose weight, as long as the other numbers are showing improvement. But 20-30 pounds doesn't make a person morbidly obese. Or even borderline. And in some cases, it's not even obese at all.

People who are on starvation diets prescribed by physicians, aren't trying to lose a few pounds, OR get numbers under control. They're trying to lose SIGNIFICANT amounts of weight. In some of these situations, it can be a life or death matter. Especially for those who need surgery of some kind, for some reason, but their surgeons -cannot- operate because of the risk of failure and profound complication as a direct result of the obesity.

Those are the types of reasons why someone would need to go on a short-term, hospital-monitored ultra-low calorie diet. And even then, HCG isn't going to do diddly squat to make them lose weight.
I did specifically mention that for some, weight loss would be the only thing that would help. That would be where your super obese patients come in. your standard fatties, the most common sizes (BMI 25-40) are the ones that I'm advocating, the group that dominates this obesity epidemic. The group that fell in not so terribly long ago.

And even though this is an hCG thread, I'm not promoting hCG usage. Its not part of MY discussion at all. In that regard, I'm absolutely in the wrong thread so I'm done here, before I get thrown out.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:40 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,115,258 times
Quote:
Weight is *a* measure (not the measure) of overall health and risk of disease, injury, and death.

If someone is 500 pounds, and gets his glucose levels closer to normal, great. But he's still at risk for a heart attack, a stroke, and broken knees from having to bear the burden of the same 500 pounds on his legs that he had last month when his glucose levels were up. He is also at EXTREMELY high risk of death, should anything happen to him involving the need for surgery. And that's assuming they can even intubate him to do the surgery at all.

In the case of the morbidly obese, glucose levels, blood pressure levels, heart rate levels, are -not- enough to give kudos. In the morbidly obese, weight -must- come down. You show me you can lose 2 pounds in a 2-week period AND lower your blood pressure from 150/90 to 140/87, then I'll get excited about it and cheer you on. But if your blood pressure drops a few points, and you're still 500 pounds, I'll just chalk it up to you being more relaxed today than you were last time you came in for a blood pressure check, and I'll tell you to get back out there and work your butt off to lose a few pounds, which is what you should've done a month ago.

You need to come and talk to my co worker who weighs in at a hefty 465 lbs.

He thinks he's healthy because his blood sugars are good He's on several different meds..had a cardioaversion done last summer...was told by his doctor that he's a heart attack waiting to happen and will probably be dead by the time he's 35. He just turned 31.

We work in health care and we see the results of bascially eating yourself to death . You'd think that seeing ppl in a postition that he will soon find himself would open his eyes...it didn't. You'd think being in the ER with a HR of 175 would of done it..it didn't. You'd think hearing your doctor tell you you're going to die in less than 5 yrs if you dont' change your ways would do something to get you to change your ways. It didn't.

The problem isn't just with him. His wife very large as well. She's about 300lbs and all they do is eat. All they talk about is food. What they ate, what are eating and what they will be eating. We finally had to tell him to stop talking about it in the office because it was driving everyone batty.

It's a very sad case. He has a wonderful little boy who may not have a father long enough to raise him and they are trying to have another one!

He is one of the lazy ones. He knows what he's supposed to do and is choosing not to do it. He is choosing to find himself at Cold Stone Creamy at least 4 times a week because it 'just so good'

Old 04-01-2012, 08:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,869,484 times
That's not lazy. It takes effort to go to Cold Stone Creamery four times a week. He's definitely not lazy. He's either in denial, or he is pretending to be in denial, on purpose. That is -also- something that requires effort.

I -love- Cold Stone Creamery, and I'm heartbroken that the one nearby closed down. I'm -not- morbidly obese, but I -am- overweight, and I -do- still have a ways to go before I'm feeling as fit as I want to feel. But I'll tell you right now if CSC was around still, I'd be there once a -month- to get my single scoop of that amazing deep dark semi-sweet chocolate ice cream in a cup AND a fresh-made, chocolate-dipped waffle cone (with nothing in it) on the side.

The ice cream would take me two days to eat. The cone I'd probably eat half of, while driving from the store back to my house, and the other half would be finished that day.

That's lazy. I was too lazy to go there that often when it was open, even though I love it like nobody's business. If your co-worker were truly lazy, he wouldn't be wasting all his time going out to eat, or obsessing about food. This requires an effort. What he needs to do, is re-direct his efforts. The hard part is convincing him to do it.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,115,258 times
Quote:
That's not lazy. It takes effort to go to Cold Stone Creamery four times a week. He's definitely not lazy. He's either in denial, or he is pretending to be in denial, on purpose. That is -also- something that requires effort.

I -love- Cold Stone Creamery, and I'm heartbroken that the one nearby closed down. I'm -not- morbidly obese, but I -am- overweight, and I -do- still have a ways to go before I'm feeling as fit as I want to feel. But I'll tell you right now if CSC was around still, I'd be there once a -month- to get my single scoop of that amazing deep dark semi-sweet chocolate ice cream in a cup AND a fresh-made, chocolate-dipped waffle cone (with nothing in it) on the side.

The ice cream would take me two days to eat. The cone I'd probably eat half of, while driving from the store back to my house, and the other half would be finished that day.

That's lazy. I was too lazy to go there that often when it was open, even though I love it like nobody's business. If your co-worker were truly lazy, he wouldn't be wasting all his time going out to eat, or obsessing about food. This requires an effort. What he needs to do, is re-direct his efforts. The hard part is convincing him to do it.

Oh, I love me some CSC as well..but I am not 465lbs..not even close. And you going once a month is alot different than going 4 times in a week. Once a month isn't going to effect anything if you're eating right and excerising....however, he's not doing either one and still eats there 4 times a week. They don't cook at home..they eat out every night...and it's not Crispers Salad they are eating.

He is lazy. He avoids anything that requires him to move unless it involoves food.

Ppl have been trying to convince him to do something for a long time. Professionals we work with donanted their time to go over a diet and excerise plan with him..met with him on a weekly basis to see how things were going..gave him all the tools he would need.........he told them that he wasn't going to clean out his kitchen..he was going to eat all the bad food first and then start his diet. He said he couldn't join a gym because it's 5 miles in the opposite direction of his house from work Mind you, this was a free one yr membership with a trainer they were giving him..along with special classes.

I know that HE has to be the one to make the changes...no one can make them for him and at this point we've given up and basically ignore him and his antics....Im afraid that by the time he realizes his role is this, it's going to be too late. He already had two doctors drop him as a patient because he refused to do what they suggested.

His weight and physical limitations are affecting his job....if he can't perform his duties at 100%, he will be let go. I don't want to see that happen.....he is really a nice, nice guy.

His son is being set up for a lifetime of food issues as well..he's barely two and they both believe he doesn't eat enough His doctor has told them over and over his weight and height are perfect...just let him be...but they think he's too thin.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:39 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,853,295 times
Another case of parental abuse. Adults can choose how they want to eat, but to saddle a child with bad eating habits and over feeding him is just abuse in my book. 99% of the time when there is an obese kid, one or both parents are obese as well. And they do not get that way because of some genetic disorder. They get that way because the parents are too selfish and/or ignorant to take better care of their kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss