Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:41 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times

Advertisements

Props are to be given to the FDA for coming out and saying what I and many others here have been saying for years - HCG is a Scam. A Fraud. Useless. A Sham. A joke.

HCG weight-loss products are fraudulent, FDA says - USATODAY.com

Thank you MaTheBanker for bringing this to our attention.

Hopefully there will be no more "Where can I get HCG?" threads now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:49 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,012,903 times
Very interesting article! To me, the HCG diet just seemed plain dangerous, given the extremely low caloric intake needed for the program intended. From a nutritional standpoint, it would be catastrophic to the human body, and could cause a whole host of problems.

I just don't understand why people just don't do it the old fashion way... eat right, and exercise. Such a simple process, yet people muck it up with all these tailored-made ineffective schemes. All so they can continue to eat like crap and not exercise. Kinda ironic, especially given that they usually gain all the weight back and more, plus have health problems!

Ian

Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Very interesting article! To me, the HCG diet just seemed plain dangerous, given the extremely low caloric intake needed for the program intended. From a nutritional standpoint, it would be catastrophic to the human body, and could cause a whole host of problems.

I just don't understand why people just don't do it the old fashion way... eat right, and exercise. Such a simple process, yet people muck it up with all these tailored-made ineffective schemes. All so they can continue to eat like crap and not exercise. Kinda ironic, especially given that they usually gain all the weight back and more, plus have health problems!

Ian
Ian, in an ideal world nearly everyone should be able to permanently lose excess weight through diet and exercise. The fact is, the vast majority of us overweight people (and I am including myself, because after age 40 the pounds started creeping up on me like so many others) fail at it. I have a yearly record of dieting, exercising, joining the gym and using it 3 - 4 times a week, joining Weight Watchers, doing the South Beach diet, and I would lose the weight but slowly it would come back.

Once I broke my leg and was on crutches ... couldn't exercise, the weight came back. I work long hours at a desk job.

I needed a tool to conquer my weight problem and the one that I used was bariatric surgery: a gastric bypass 'Roux-en-Y' procedure. I had it done on 12-20-10. In a little over a month this helped me lose 33 pounds going down from 213 to 180, a BMI of 35 down to 29, so far. My goal is to lose 40 pounds more, and have a 30" waist - like when I was 21, instead of a 38" waist.

The best news is that just 1 month after the procedure my Type 2 diabetes has gone into complete remission, and my endocrinologist (the top one at the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center) has taken me off my diabetes medications.

I feel great. I have more energy than I had in years. I hit the gym every other day, and going there is a pleasure.

In my opinion, bariatric surgery is not for everyone. If you have diabetes it is something you should consider. I hear it can also cure sleep apnea. You do not have to be 300 or 400 or 500 pounds to get this. I was overweight, but not grossly obese and I never had to buy clothes at the "Big Men's" shops nor did I have a problem with airline seats. The reason I did it was more to put my diabetes in complete remission; my trimmer body is just an additional bonus.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:07 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Quote:

So true. Ive been saying it ever since that one woman first started a thread on HCG - ITS DANGEROUS AND SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER BE CONSIDERED BY ANYONE.

Mostly, the problem is created by the low life people who sell that junk and the lower than low lifes who push it and prey on those who really and truly need to lose weight, like some of our members here. I figured out their M.O. when researching it - they would create new user names and go into soooooo many different CD forums for different cities. I informed the Senior Mods about these evil people so many of their threads were probably removed or locked, but they would go into the city forums and say "Where can I get HCG in Austin?" or whatever city they are posting in. Then, they would create a NEW CD profile just to answer: "You can get it from _______. I use it and lost 100 pounds". It was so obvious becuase both the OP and respondent almost ALWAYS had less than 5 posts in their history.

The FDA is on board with LaTzuMindFu has been preaching all this time people - HCG IS USELESS!!! HCG DIET IS A FRAUD DIET! DO NOT EVER CONSIDER TAKING IT.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:16 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Props are to be given to the FDA for coming out and saying what I and many others here have been saying for years - HCG is a Scam. A Fraud. Useless. A Sham. A joke.

Hopefully there will be no more "Where can I get HCG?" threads now.
Dream on. People are so irrational and so stupid that a statement from the FDA is not going to deter them; some will not be aware of it and some just distrust the government. People will continue to seek out HCG - we can only hope it will be fewer of them.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:27 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,425,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Ian, in an ideal world nearly everyone should be able to permanently lose excess weight through diet and exercise. The fact is, the vast majority of us overweight people (and I am including myself, because after age 40 the pounds started creeping up on me like so many others) fail at it. I have a yearly record of dieting, exercising, joining the gym and using it 3 - 4 times a week, joining Weight Watchers, doing the South Beach diet, and I would lose the weight but slowly it would come back.

Once I broke my leg and was on crutches ... couldn't exercise, the weight came back. I work long hours at a desk job.

I needed a tool to conquer my weight problem and the one that I used was bariatric surgery: a gastric bypass 'Roux-en-Y' procedure. I had it done on 12-20-10. In a little over a month this helped me lose 33 pounds going down from 213 to 180, a BMI of 35 down to 29, so far. My goal is to lose 40 pounds more, and have a 30" waist - like when I was 21, instead of a 38" waist.

The best news is that just 1 month after the procedure my Type 2 diabetes has gone into complete remission, and my endocrinologist (the top one at the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center) has taken me off my diabetes medications.

I feel great. I have more energy than I had in years. I hit the gym every other day, and going there is a pleasure.

In my opinion, bariatric surgery is not for everyone. If you have diabetes it is something you should consider. I hear it can also cure sleep apnea. You do not have to be 300 or 400 or 500 pounds to get this. I was overweight, but not grossly obese and I never had to buy clothes at the "Big Men's" shops nor did I have a problem with airline seats. The reason I did it was more to put my diabetes in complete remission; my trimmer body is just an additional bonus.
In my experience, and I consider myself to have a lot of it when it comes to dieting (both good and bad!), it's RARELY the "plan" that fails. In fact, I can guarantee it's NEVER the plan that fails. It's the person doing the plan.

Take Weight Watchers for example. All politics aside, you live by three rules: eat less, get moving, and track everything you put in your mouth. The three things that are key to weight loss. So all those thousands and thousands of people who start Weight Watchers and FAIL, is it the program that failed? Or did you fail yourself? If a program is made from a perfect foundation (eat less, move, track) how can it fail? It didn't. You did.

For most obese people, myself included, it's completely and 100% mental. I don't think many people realize they need to get that part seriously under control before they even attempt such a drastic change.

Anyway...tangent done. I just wanted to point out why I think people choose such terrible diets like HCG. It's the easy, cheap way out.

Congrats on your weight loss, Clark Park. Truthfully, if I had had the right insurance coverage years ago, I probably would have gotten weight loss surgery, but I'm glad I didn't. It wouldn't have helped me identify the real problem.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:37 AM

784 posts, read 3,121,646 times
I am a yo-yo dieter. I have done them all and put the weight back on every time. Why? because I let the rules go. I eat a little more of the things that should be occasional and eat occasionally the things I should not eat at all. I truly believe that MatheBanker is right. It is all in the mind. My mind tells me when I have lost a bit of weight that I don't have to try so hard any more. Wrong. I have to change my way of eating permanently. And I have to continue to exercise as hard as I did in the full throws of the diet.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:01 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:

Ian
Because people want instant results!

Personally, I would rather not load my body up with drugs and chemicals but not everyone thinks that way.

I also LOVE the feeling of accomplishment I get from seeing the scale move and the waist band getting a little loose...and yesterday I did 5 more push-ups than I could do last week....and today I got through the whole plyometrics DVD without skipping a few moves here and there. I like seeing my results and knowing it was 100% perspiration and effort.

I still have a little ways to go and I've had a few obstacles along the way but it's definitely been a learning experience and a life change for me.

I know you've come a long way too, I've seen your pics. I am too shameful to post my "before" picture...maybe someday.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:00 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Because people want instant results!

Personally, I would rather not load my body up with drugs and chemicals but not everyone thinks that way.

I also LOVE the feeling of accomplishment I get from seeing the scale move and the waist band getting a little loose...and yesterday I did 5 more push-ups than I could do last week....and today I got through the whole plyometrics DVD without skipping a few moves here and there. I like seeing my results and knowing it was 100% perspiration and effort.

I still have a little ways to go and I've had a few obstacles along the way but it's definitely been a learning experience and a life change for me.

I know you've come a long way too, I've seen your pics. I am too shameful to post my "before" picture...maybe someday.
YEP! I love the feeling I get after seeing the weight come down and knowing it's from doing things right and using some elbow grease. It also feels good building the muscle and feeling stronger every week.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:42 PM

14 posts, read 62,967 times
and what do you suggest about people who are hypothyroid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss