Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:35 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,556,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
You probably misunderstood what your doctor says. 145 is the very upper limit of what a 5'4" person should weigh before they become officially "overweight".

But in reality, 110 is just fine for 5'4".

Well, When I was 146, and I am 5'6, I wore a perfect size 6...so not even close to be overweight. At 155 i wore a size 8.
Everybody's bodies are different. I wish people would realize that and stop comparing others with themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 08:42 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,739,074 times
Pants size is really not a good indicator of anything because of sizes being all over the place and preferred looks. (thin/thick)

Those charts are just basic guidelines. Preferred looks can have zero to do with health. What you need to look at after you get your basic chart guideline is your body fat percentage. To be healthy you have to be within a certain range with that. 10-31%F - 2-24%M

So as you can see there is a huge range that is healthy for your individual body. But your diet has to be healthy too. If you are skinny and eat like crap you are still going to face health problems down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The absolute minimum is 114 if you're 5'4" with a small frame. For 5'2" with a small frame, the absolute minimum is 110.

I'd still rather be at the mid-range or higher end of normal. Skinny is so 5 minutes ago. I'd rather be shaped like a woman, than a string-bean.
Real women come in string bean shapes too. I really find that annoying that people are so insecure about being thicker that they have to call string beans "not real". They eat, live and breathe too.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:07 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,447,424 times
The minimum fat percentage for men is 8% I believe and definitely not 2%. Mine is currently around 5-6% and I have read that is too low. I initially thought it was pretty sweet since the muscle was around 46%, but it turns out your body actually needs a little fat, especially to stay warm and other purposes for women. My scale also can't measure the fat once it gets below 5% and that's been happening more often lately.

Understanding Body Composition

What are the guidelines for percentage of body fat loss?

Where the fat is stored is also important. You do want minimal visceral (belly) fat and I've managed to get mine to around 3-4%. That's where all the bad things come from, like diabetes. I'd highly recommend spending a little extra to get a good scale that can measure all this. I personally own this one: Buy.com - Omron HBF-516B Body Composition Monitor Scale and also bought one for my son. It's been flawless and obviously pretty accurate. Only real issue was the original batteries (that were included) barely lasted a couple months.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:29 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,739,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
The minimum fat percentage for men is 8% I believe and definitely not 2%. Mine is currently around 5-6% and I have read that is too low. I initially thought it was pretty sweet since the muscle was around 46%, but it turns out your body actually needs a little fat, especially to stay warm and other purposes for women. My scale also can't measure the fat once it gets below 5% and that's been happening more often lately.

Understanding Body Composition

What are the guidelines for percentage of body fat loss?

Where the fat is stored is also important. You do want minimal visceral (belly) fat and I've managed to get mine to around 3-4%. That's where all the bad things come from, like diabetes. I'd highly recommend spending a little extra to get a good scale that can measure all this. I personally own this one: Buy.com - Omron HBF-516B Body Composition Monitor Scale and also bought one for my son. It's been flawless and obviously pretty accurate. Only real issue was the original batteries (that were included) barely lasted a couple months.
Those higher # are athletic lean. The low numbers I posted are the minimal fat that you need for your body to operate and regulate its hormones properly. The body fat being very low has to be overseen by someone who knows how to take a body fat reading well or in a sub tank at the doctors office.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:41 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,298,110 times
When you lose belly fat this tends to get you to a lower body fat % which will means better blood sugar & triglycerides------healthier. And often skinnier! Also agree that beanpole isn't bad; I have some curves but I'm not as filled out as I was. If it decreases carb cravings I'm happy. I still say 110-115 sounds fine. Aim for 15-21% body fat and you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss