Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,750,317 times

Advertisements

I've mainly done road biking to lose and maintain weight. Took 2018 miles to go from 193 to 159 lbs. Then 3018 miles to go from 162 to 140 lbs. Maintained weight at 145 lbs next 4 year through 1 hr workouts after work and a long distance weekend ride.

Then I got bored of biking and just quit. Thought about weightlifting to control my weight, - bought weightlifting / weight loss books, free weights, and a workout bench with a Lat bar. But I failed to have a regular schedule and monitor my workouts. So in 2009 I tried weightlifting a little but it made me hungry after a workout and I snacked on the bad stuff and gained 5 lbs.

So 2009 - 2010 I got lazy, had mistakes in eating and vacations, and went up to 159 lbs.

Crap, you just gotta exercise enough if you want to maintain your weight. Somedays you still eat right and yet the pounds pack on. Then an immediate workout will erase that weight gain.

Right now I need to motivate myself to weight train for weight loss again. Thank God I never paid money into a gym membership, as I didn't use my weightlifting equipment much and I don't like treadmills or running.

So now, the only thing I would do to lose weight again is my boring road biking, and weightlifting. I'd like to pick up a tennis partner to workout by tennis too - that would add variety.

So what exercise do you do to lose weight? How effective is it and how long do you workout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 10:24 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,973,142 times
You will have people who are TRYING to lose weight, and you'll have people who HAVE lost weight. Usually the ones who have lost it are the ones you want to pay attention to. Or at least the ones who KNOW what it takes to lose weight and to actually do it.

Now, with that being said, those of us who KNOW all have routines and/or methods that work for us. I'll give you mine.

EARLY MORNING EMPTY STOMACH CARDIO
I'll have a cup of black coffee (no cream, no sugar) and do one or any combination of the following:

Run 3.5 miles
Do 500 double unders jump rope
Run 10 100 yard full speed sprints w/30 second rest in between
Tabatas for time of - pullups, pushups, air squats, situps, 35lb dumbbell toss, or 45lb barbell push press.
Tabata punch out on the heavy bag.
30 minutes of speed bag followed by 30 minutes of jumping rope (mixing in double unders, alternating legs, high knees, etc.)
Kung fu and karate forms non stop until I do all forms I know.

WEIGHT TRAINING AND/OR RESISTANCE TRAINING
Either CrossFit Workout-of-the-Day - Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness which is always preceded by the CrossFit warmup - 10 reps pullups, 10 reps pushups; 10 reps air squats, 10 reps situps; 10 reps 45 lb barbell overhead squats; 10 reps 45lb barbell good mornings; 20 double under jump rope - cycle through these exercises 3 times.
or...
Whole body HIT training - one set to failure with heavy weight that I cannot do more than 8-9 reps (must fail on 9th rep or weight is too light) of bench press, smith machine shoulder press, lat tower pulldowns wide grip, lat tower pulldowns close grip, wide grip rows, close grip rows, seated dumbbell press, squats, leg extenstion, leg curls, MAX weight as-many-as-possible of barbell shoulder shrugs.

This is what works for me and has worked for many many of my students and those I train.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,973,142 times
I also do a lot of vinyasa yoga, kung fu, tai chi and kenpo.

Also, you must remember that exercise alone will NOT necessarily make you lose weight, you will need to HAVE A HEALTHY AND PROPER NUTRITION PLAN AS WELL. In other words - EAT RIGHT. No junk food, bad food, processed food, no diets, no low carb this, no dukan diet that, no diets at all PERIOD. We all learned how to eat healthy in 7th grade Health class. Just provide your body with ALL foods/nutrients it needs and combine that with exercise and YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT. Not only that, you WILL IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,082,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I've mainly done road biking to lose and maintain weight. Took 2018 miles to go from 193 to 159 lbs. Then 3018 miles to go from 162 to 140 lbs. Maintained weight at 145 lbs next 4 year through 1 hr workouts after work and a long distance weekend ride.

Then I got bored of biking and just quit. Thought about weightlifting to control my weight, - bought weightlifting / weight loss books, free weights, and a workout bench with a Lat bar. But I failed to have a regular schedule and monitor my workouts. So in 2009 I tried weightlifting a little but it made me hungry after a workout and I snacked on the bad stuff and gained 5 lbs.

So 2009 - 2010 I got lazy, had mistakes in eating and vacations, and went up to 159 lbs.

Crap, you just gotta exercise enough if you want to maintain your weight. Somedays you still eat right and yet the pounds pack on. Then an immediate workout will erase that weight gain.

Right now I need to motivate myself to weight train for weight loss again. Thank God I never paid money into a gym membership, as I didn't use my weightlifting equipment much and I don't like treadmills or running.

So now, the only thing I would do to lose weight again is my boring road biking, and weightlifting. I'd like to pick up a tennis partner to workout by tennis too - that would add variety.

So what exercise do you do to lose weight? How effective is it and how long do you workout?
I lost a lot of weight 6 years ago by changing my diet and hitting my elliptical at least 5 days a week for 45-60 minutes.

I didn't do a steady pace though, and I think that's why I saw good results. I used music to set my pace, and so on my ipod I did 1 song moderate pace (a very brisk walk), 1 song high intensity (sprinting), one song at a slower pace to catch my breath.. and kind of cycled it like that.

Right now I'm doing P90x. The scale hasn't moved in quite some time but I've lost about 14" so far.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:55 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,570,415 times
I mainly walk, mostly easy, some more intense (faster, or hiking). I'm getting 10 to 20 WW activity pts a week, so thats like 3 to 7 hours or so of walking. In the course of decluttering we found a small weight, and occasionally I lift that. Also gardening, but never more than an hour a week of that.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:52 PM

89 posts, read 203,466 times
I run.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,623,521 times
I lift weights mainly, do it for my health....do not think it does much for weight loss though.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:09 PM

17,411 posts, read 16,560,898 times
Currently walking and strength training.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:35 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,257,610 times
I walk every day to/from work (always walked or took public transportation since my college years even though I have a car), and you would not believe the amount of junk food, fast food, and high-fat and high-calorie content I consume. I'm 25 and thin as a rail.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:52 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,965,924 times
Exercise self-control, eating a selective and limited diet. Any activity after that will be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss