Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:51 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
good way to look at it. Eat natural and organic if possible... and if not, just stay away from the middle isles of the grocery store.

I dont care if you're on Paleo or Primal type of diet, I dont care if you think saturated fats are bad or not, as long as you arent eating processed foods, or overdoing the carbs, I think you'll be alright.
Mankind has survived and thrived for thousands of years eating whole foods. Certainly, our species would have died out a long time ago if we ate the kind of diet we are eating now. Of course some wise-arse will bring up "life expectancy" stating that 1,000 years ago there was an average life expectancy of 38 years or something asinine like that. LOL

The fact of the matter is that the closer you can eat your food to nature, the better of you will be. Yes, cooking *is* processing and it destroys vitamins and enzymes necessary to fully metabolize nutrients. Unfortunately, an all raw diet is *very* difficult to adopt without a lot of motivation, even though it is, without a doubt, the healthiest diet you can eat (assuming that the vegetables and fruit are not genetically modified).

The next best choice is all natural, minimally processed and yes, ORGANIC. People say that organic is a farce, but it is not. Even the slightest chemical exposure is a threat to the body, even supposedly innocuous chemicals used in agriculture stresses the liver and other cleansing organs of the body.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 12:16 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Of course that is your attitude. You regularly have 20+ pounds to lose & clearly don't understand nutrition.
Says the fanboy who is completely unable to defend her fad diets against criticism.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:50 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
My philosophy on eating is: we must eat, to live. And since we must, we might as well enjoy doing it.

If you make yourself aware of your choices, learn the consequences of those choices, and make adjustments to create a healthy consequence, then most people can eat most things (barring medical/allergy restrictions of course) - in moderation.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:25 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,286,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Says the fanboy who is completely unable to defend her fad diets against criticism.
I'm a girl and a skinny one at that.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:08 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,286,743 times
Hmmmmmmmm............. how many people *truly* understand the "consequences" of eating wheat... if you happen to be a blood type O. I've read comments on this and other boards "I can eat whatever I want, it's the calories that matter" etc ugh so nonsensical. No, AnonChick, most people do *not* understand the "consequences" of *anything* they do diet wise.....that is the reason there are so many unhealthy, fat people in the states irregardless of what diet they do.

If you believe something is not harmful to you you will eat it on a regular basis.... and so the cycle of having a gummed up damaged metabolism goes on and on and is never really dealt with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My philosophy on eating is: we must eat, to live. And since we must, we might as well enjoy doing it.

If you make yourself aware of your choices, learn the consequences of those choices, and make adjustments to create a healthy consequence, then most people can eat most things (barring medical/allergy restrictions of course) - in moderation.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:52 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Hmmmmmmmm............. how many people *truly* understand the "consequences" of eating wheat... if you happen to be a blood type O. I've read comments on this and other boards "I can eat whatever I want, it's the calories that matter" etc ugh so nonsensical. No, AnonChick, most people do *not* understand the "consequences" of *anything* they do diet wise.....that is the reason there are so many unhealthy, fat people in the states irregardless of what diet they do.

If you believe something is not harmful to you you will eat it on a regular basis.... and so the cycle of having a gummed up damaged metabolism goes on and on and is never really dealt with.
I'm type O so I guess I'm in good shape sticking with my low carb diet since no wheat (or rice or potatoes) is involved.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:55 PM

I believe that avacado is not harmful to me, but I never eat it.
I believe that brussels sprouts is not harmful to me, but I never eat it.
I believe that smoked tongue is not harmful to me, but I never eat it.
I believe that ice cream IS harmful to me, but I enjoy a scoop once or twice a month.
I believe that frozen rum drinks ARE harmful to me, but I blend up a mean pina colada once a week or so, in the summertime.

Go ahead - toss me another lamebrained theory I can debunk. I'm on a roll.

Edited to add: Responding to what I write, instead of responding to what you want to pretend I write.

I said (and you quoted) IF..you do these things..
THEN..those things happen.

IF/THEN - action:reaction. Behavior:consequence. Decision:result. It's a logic thing. Sorry that you have so much trouble understanding.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:54 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I believe that ice cream IS harmful to me, but I enjoy a scoop once or twice a month.
But what a lot of people don't understand is it's not the fat in the ice cream that's harmful but the sugar.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
But what a lot of people don't understand is it's not the fat in the ice cream that's harmful but the sugar.
It's the combination of BOTH that's harmful. Plus the fact that it's bovine dairy, which is more difficult for humans to digest efficiently than human dairy.

It all returns to the main premise: When people DO understand about nutrition, they are in a better position to make healthier decisions for themselves. They don't have to be experts in nutrition, but it helps to have a general idea: too much of *anything* is unhealthy. Learning how much is "enough" is between you and a doctor, not between you and some guy who wrote a book, who has never examined your nutritional needs.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:04 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The next best choice is all natural, minimally processed and yes, ORGANIC. People say that organic is a farce, but it is not. Even the slightest chemical exposure is a threat to the body, even supposedly innocuous chemicals used in agriculture stresses the liver and other cleansing organs of the body.
You know, I've wondered about that. Think that maybe in 30 years there is going to be some study coming out about how avoiding chemicals will make us more sensitive in the long run? Like the antibacterial soap effect?

I used to be big on the organic wagon, but now I'm not so sure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss