Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 05:22 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,184,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
The Federal Government (aka Big Brother) has been prodding Amerita*ds to lower their consumption of fat and increase HEALTHY carbs.

Look at the foods pyramind or whatever scam they call it now. Junk oils and foods high in carbs are way ahead of that nasty ole meat. 1-2 servings of eggs a day..........and 4-6 of whole grains..............hahaha, stupid stuff.
Unfortunately Big Agriculture has more to do with that than scientific research. The corn and wheat farmers in the Midwest have a lot more clout than the livestock growers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 05:29 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,184,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
A non-snarky-trying-to-learn question for those of you on no carb diets:

How does it affect your cholesterol levels?
It's becoming clear that cholesterol levels are most impacted by the fat produced by the consumption of excess calories as well as other things that affect the liver's processing ability (like heavy drinking). It appears to have much less to do with the ratio of fat/protein/carbs that make up consumed calories as long as those calories are all burned.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:41 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,622,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've eaten low fat for over 30 years and it absolutely works for me.

Every body is different. Find what works for you and stick with it.
I agree! Low fat works best for us as well. Thanks everyone!

Old 07-31-2011, 04:11 PM

22,627 posts, read 24,486,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Unfortunately Big Agriculture has more to do with that than scientific research. The corn and wheat farmers in the Midwest have a lot more clout than the livestock growers.
Well, call me a Tin Foil Hat'er..........but the scams these corrupt people pull shows in just about every aspect of Government. The scams going on with corn and the like just reinforce my beliefs.

So, I just ignore the Food Scam Pyramid and all of the other Big Brother propaganda.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I agree! Low fat works best for us as well. Thanks everyone!
Glad it works for you. I do low fat.........yikes.............I am constantly hungry.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:41 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,622,012 times
Quote:
Glad it works for you. I do low fat.........yikes.............I am constantly hungry.
Eat more veggies when you get hungry, or fruit. How about replacing your "being constantly hungry" with more protein like a chicken breast, or egg whites?" Low fat does not mean that you starve yourself. Good Luck!!!

Old 07-31-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Eat more veggies when you get hungry, or fruit. How about replacing your "being constantly hungry" with more protein like a chicken breast, or egg whites?" Low fat does not mean that you starve yourself. Good Luck!!!
Egg whites, in my book, that is a waste, missing the best part of the egg.

And when I did low fat I ate lots of fruits and veggies.....still was always hungry. Moderate protein/high fat and low carb is what works best for me.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:03 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,529,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
On a low-carb diet, my cholesterol dropped from 227 to 165 in three months, and my ratios also improved. HDL went up, LDL went down.

Ive been on a WW, a calorie restricted diet, and I have NOT tracked carbs (though I have cut out most simple carbs - I have made a point of eating whole grains) and my BLOOD SUGAR went down.

Bottom line - losing weight, whatever way, tends to improve cholesterol and blood sugar.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
The Federal Government (aka Big Brother) has been prodding Amerita*ds to lower their consumption of fat and increase HEALTHY carbs.

Look at the foods pyramind or whatever scam they call it now. Junk oils and foods high in carbs are way ahead of that nasty ole meat. 1-2 servings of eggs a day..........and 4-6 of whole grains..............hahaha, stupid stuff.

Whats a junk oil? Olive oil? How can they be pushing oils and prodding people to lower fat consumption? I can understand folks who say fat is their friend, but why are meat and eggs and butterfat the only legit sources of fat?

1-2 servinigs of eggs vs 4-6 of whole grains - well eggs are only ONE source of fat - its assumed that folks are ALSO eating dairy, meat, AND vegetable sources of fat. Whole grains are practically the only suggested source of carbs (other than fruits and veggies). So that doesnt sound like low fat high carb - its sounds BALANCED.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
The Federal Government (aka Big Brother) has been prodding Amerita*ds
wow. just wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss