Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 03:12 AM

591 posts, read 868,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Older people have a haggard look to me when they lose weight with the goose neck and lose skin. Maybe we look better with some weight when we get older. IMO

I am always afraid to complement older people for losing weight in fear they will say they have cancer or something like that.
Actually, the goose neck has to do with age, and nothing to do with weight. Most elderly people will get it whether fat or thin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 04:41 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,575,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah. This woman I know (in her 40s) lost a bunch of weight, and now she looks older AND angrier...the weight was giving her a pleasant, smooth, plump, friendly face.

But it's healthier for her to be at this weight. I think she looks pretty bad, though. All haggard and wrinkled.
LOL, I was watching a show about people who lost weight, like 30 pounds or more, and one guy lost it but then I thought he as so ugly. Without the fat to plump him up he just didn't look as good in some way.

I know it's better for ones health though.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,440,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah. This woman I know (in her 40s) lost a bunch of weight, and now she looks older AND angrier...the weight was giving her a pleasant, smooth, plump, friendly face.

But it's healthier for her to be at this weight. I think she looks pretty bad, though. All haggard and wrinkled.
You're definitely on to something...read on. (To see the comparisons of each pair of twins, click "next" to the left of the first set of pictures.)

Quote:
Catherine Deneuve has been credited with proclaiming that after a certain age, a woman needs to choose between her face and her behind — meaning that a lean body can result in a face that appears gaunt and haggard. Indeed, for women over 40, this maxim is true, report Guyuron and his study co-authors, who surveyed and photographed 186 sets of identical twins. Additional weight fills in and softens wrinkles, making a heavier twin look younger than her sister, Guyuron explains.

But for women under 40, the effect turns out to be just the opposite: Extra pounds can obscure youthful features like a smooth jawline and cause facial skin to sag. The weight effect was generally seen when a woman had a body-mass index at least four points higher than her twin. (Each point of body mass is equivalent to five or six pounds of weight, so a four-point difference would be 20 to 24 pounds.)
Twin study reveals secrets to looking younger - Health - Skin and beauty - msnbc.com

Old 07-30-2011, 02:35 PM

973 posts, read 1,709,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
You're definitely on to something...read on. (To see the comparisons of each pair of twins, click "next" to the left of the first set of pictures.)

Twin study reveals secrets to looking younger - Health - Skin and beauty - msnbc.com

OMGOSH... how cool and CORRECT is this!! Those who lose an excessive amount of weight do tend to look haggard (hmmmm EXCEPT for Kirstie Alley ) as like others have said, our skin is thinner and with less elasticity. I am 18 pounds overweight (according to the charts), but my doctor told me to lose maybe 3 and do a HOLDING pattern between the 15-18, for if I lose more, I definitely WILL see more wrinkles and my jowls will begin to sag as will my cheekbones and then I will need some fillers, so I don't LOOK haggard! It is a trade-off, but for me, I will keep on the extra weight as men do like some padding; plus, I think for me, some of that weight is in muscle.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:55 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,744,159 times
This is true. I also think old people with ridiculous muscles look silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss