Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times

Advertisements

Older people have a haggard look to me when they lose weight with the goose neck and lose skin. Maybe we look better with some weight when we get older. IMO

I am always afraid to complement older people for losing weight in fear they will say they have cancer or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 08:07 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
What do you mean by "older"?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:08 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Older people have a haggard look to me when they lose weight with the goose neck and lose skin. Maybe we look better with some weight when we get older. IMO

I am always afraid to complement older people for losing weight in fear they will say they have cancer or something like that.
Invalid thread title. They don't always look sick.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:18 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,674 times
I get what you're asking.

As we age, and I'm in that range, our skin loses elasticity. Once you lose weight, if you're "older," your skin just doesn't retract like it used to.

It's not that we look better with more weight as we age, it's just that if we lose weight later in life, our skin doesn't recover as well. If we're already thin when we're older, we don't have that same look.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:26 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,434 times
Yeah, I know what you're talking about. For years, the nicest, albeit, heavy-set woman lived next to my parents. Man, cook she could Italian food!!! She went on one of those crazy powdered diets during the winter months (when most don't venture outdoors), and BOOM - she was half her former self, but she suddenly looked SO much older. She was delighted with herself though - so God Bless.

A guy I had worked with for years (he's in his late 50') was what I would call a normal weight when he went on this health food and working out phase. The result was really shocking and I had other former colleagues asking me if he had gotten cancer!

I completly agree with PatsCats since I'm now in my mid 40's. I'm one of those people who can pack it on and then get serious and take it off normally at will. Not so much anymore. Weight loss always hit me in the face first - and at this age, that's the ONE are you DON'T want to lose any plumpness! I am also appalled recently at my upper arms which were also fairly well toned. Where the heck did that new set of wings come from?! Egads! To the bar bells with me!!!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
What do you mean by "older"?
My age, in the 60s but I think it even starts in the 50s.

I see pretty younger girls who I know people think she would be perfect if she only lost all that weight but when some get older I think some think they sure look older since they lost weight.

I know a man who lost weight and he is healthy since he got into marathons but at first I thought he may of had cancer. His wife had breast cancer so I didn't want to compliment him on losing weight, I wasn't sure.

This guy wasn't a big guy though so I don't think it's losing a lot of weight. I think being "plump" fills out wrinkles, etc. in the face. Take the fat off the hips and put it in the face. I think this is being done now but expensive.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

It's a good reason not to get fat to begin with. Your skin doesn't stretch much, if nothing is stretching it. If you let weight accumulate without doing anything about it for a long time, then it will be difficult to accommodate the loose skin afterwards. Bodies respond more slowly as the years pile on, so late weight loss will usually result in some noticeable sagging.

That said, old or young, peoples' skin--even while sagging--responds to overall positive health and diet changes. So a person with a few sags, can still look very healthy despite those sags. Skin is like an eye into the body.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
It's a good reason not to get fat to begin with. Your skin doesn't stretch much, if nothing is stretching it. If you let weight accumulate without doing anything about it for a long time, then it will be difficult to accommodate the loose skin afterwards. Bodies respond more slowly as the years pile on, so late weight loss will usually result in some noticeable sagging.

That said, old or young, peoples' skin--even while sagging--responds to overall positive health and diet changes. So a person with a few sags, can still look very healthy despite those sags. Skin is like an eye into the body.
I wish you could tell that to my metabolism. I use to be able to eat whatever I wanted and not gain, now, not so much. Well now, not a lot. LOL

Old 07-23-2011, 01:35 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,483,682 times
I don't think they always look haggard after weight loss, some do and some don't. Young people can have that look if they lose enough weight because you will have hanging skin no matter what the age. I lost 15 pounds and I got compliments about how much younger I looked and I consider myself old.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:37 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Yeah. This woman I know (in her 40s) lost a bunch of weight, and now she looks older AND angrier...the weight was giving her a pleasant, smooth, plump, friendly face.

But it's healthier for her to be at this weight. I think she looks pretty bad, though. All haggard and wrinkled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss