Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:49 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times

Advertisements

I can't help but laugh when the "juicers" start talking about bias and misinformation. It's like they're trying to be funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 06:04 AM

29 posts, read 41,602 times
[quote=Sacman;20840606]I'll highlight parts of this quote for effect:
It's hard because it's not natural. Thin is natural. And the natural diet for humans is fruit-based (Ape diet) high-carb low-fat:

I would like to believe that but after reading Taubes (and observing my own body response) I don't anymore. I believe our body is designed for protein consumption (of course, occasionally fruit and veges and extremely whole grain carbs... not this white stuff made of white flour that wasn't around in our ancestors time).

Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 PM

192 posts, read 250,390 times
I"m not sure what you're not believing. I need specifics so I can clear up the confusion.

Quote:
I believe our body is designed for protein consumption
Why believe that when:

* All other primates get 5-10% of their calories from protein (the amount in fruit and lettuce)
* in nature, we couldn't eat a high-protein diet (raw beans are toxic, raw grain is indigestible, and animals run too fast-and they'd kill US if we caught them. And none taste good to us raw. Only fruit does)
* Modern High protein diets (made possible by milling machines, cooking, and weapons) causes leaching of calcium that has caused an osteoporosis epidemic.

I'm at 3.5 years Fruitarian. I'm 44 and just started making videos (see how I look at "Gary1111001"). I'm more inspired than ever and ready to help the world.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
I"m not sure what you're not believing. I need specifics so I can clear up the confusion.

Why believe that when:

* All other primates get 5-10% of their calories from protein (the amount in fruit and lettuce)
* in nature, we couldn't eat a high-protein diet (raw beans are toxic, raw grain is indigestible, and animals run too fast-and they'd kill US if we caught them. And none taste good to us raw. Only fruit does)
* Modern High protein diets (made possible by milling machines, cooking, and weapons) causes leaching of calcium that has caused an osteoporosis epidemic.

I'm at 3.5 years Fruitarian. I'm 44 and just started making videos (see how I look at "Gary1111001"). I'm more inspired than ever and ready to help the world.
1. We are not all other primates. We are human, genetically adapted to be omnivores.
2. We don't have to eat things raw - we can create fire. That's one of those "genetic adaptations" I was talking about. Our brains allow us to come up with stuff like that. "All other primates" can't. Which is why they haven't. We evolved. They - not so much.
3. Just because some people eat high protein diets, doesn't mean all people eat high protein diets. Most people don't eat high protein diets. Most people eat a lot of crap, which makes them fat. It isn't a lot of protein doing it and in fact, if they'd cut down on the sugar and starch, and added a little protein, it'd do them a world of good.
4. When you die, you will be dead. And you'll be able to say on your death bed, "I haven't had a single hot fudge sundae in 40 years. But I had a really awesome orange juice smoothie last week!" Hoorah, you win the game. I'd rather have the hot fudge sundae.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post

Why believe that when:

Other primates eat meat:

"Loving" Bonobos Seen Killing, Eating Other Primates

Whether gorillas eat meat has yet to be confirmed. Mammalian DNA has been found in their feces but it could have been consumed in insects that feed on mammals or transferred to the stool after it was expelled.

Ancient hominids may have scavenged meat. And it's facetious to imply that humans have not hunted meat for a very long time, dangerous though it may have been.

Some modern humans do like raw meat. Ever heard of steak tartare?

Not all raw beans are toxic. Some can be eaten if they are soaked and allowed to sprout.

Some folks eat raw oats, though again it's best to at least soak them in water or milk.

So be a fruitarian if it makes you feel good, but it's hard to justify it as somehow being what humans are supposed to eat.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,031 times
Default Is this diet a life sentence, or can you eventually increase carbs?

I've read "Why We Get Fat" and I'm so troubled. It seems exactly the same to me (in terms of what he recommends to eat) as Phase 1 of Atkins. I've been on Atkins multiple times (torturous) and as soon as you lose weight, eating the tiniest bit of carbs piles the fat back on. Is Taubes advocating that we just live the no-carb (20 g a day) lifestyle for life? The book ends with the recommended diet...where do we go from there? I want to cry. I feel like it's a life sentence, a deal with the devil because even if I can withstand the no-carb thing for a while, the weight is just gonna come right back when I'm done. Can I never eat a meal in a restaurant again without putting in a special order? Is there something I'm missing? I can't believe no one else feels this way.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangermaus2 View Post
I've read "Why We Get Fat" and I'm so troubled. It seems exactly the same to me (in terms of what he recommends to eat) as Phase 1 of Atkins. I've been on Atkins multiple times (torturous) and as soon as you lose weight, eating the tiniest bit of carbs piles the fat back on. Is Taubes advocating that we just live the no-carb (20 g a day) lifestyle for life? The book ends with the recommended diet...where do we go from there? I want to cry. I feel like it's a life sentence, a deal with the devil because even if I can withstand the no-carb thing for a while, the weight is just gonna come right back when I'm done. Can I never eat a meal in a restaurant again without putting in a special order? Is there something I'm missing? I can't believe no one else feels this way.
No one else feels doomed to only try one single diet, for the rest of their lives. So yes, there's something you're missing. What you're missing is: accepting choices.

You can suffer and deprive yourself and be miserable, knowing that the moment you indulge yourself, you'll binge and gain and be fat and miserable, instead of thin and miserable.

Or

You can eat -healthy- foods, in -modest- portions, enjoying a little of everything, not depriving yourself of anything, and slowly lose weight, and then maintain that lost weight by -not- suddenly raiding the junk cabinet the moment you hit your goal to celebrate (which you won't feel the need to do, because you've been eating small amounts of that stuff all along anyway).

Or

You can try one of the thousands of OTHER diets out there, and see if one of them "does it for ya."

Old 06-21-2013, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,031 times
Hi - Well, the thing about Taubes recommendation for dieting is that he doesn't tell you where to go from there. I'd like to also hear from people who lost weight on this diet. Do you maintain the no-carb thing forever? Or how do you phase back in some carbs when you are done losing weight?

Old 06-21-2013, 02:39 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No one else feels doomed to only try one single diet, for the rest of their lives. So yes, there's something you're missing. What you're missing is: accepting choices.

You can suffer and deprive yourself and be miserable, knowing that the moment you indulge yourself, you'll binge and gain and be fat and miserable, instead of thin and miserable.

Or

You can eat -healthy- foods, in -modest- portions, enjoying a little of everything, not depriving yourself of anything, and slowly lose weight, and then maintain that lost weight by -not- suddenly raiding the junk cabinet the moment you hit your goal to celebrate (which you won't feel the need to do, because you've been eating small amounts of that stuff all along anyway).

Or

You can try one of the thousands of OTHER diets out there, and see if one of them "does it for ya."
This one works for me! It's slow, but it stays off.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:23 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangermaus2 View Post
Hi - Well, the thing about Taubes recommendation for dieting is that he doesn't tell you where to go from there. I'd like to also hear from people who lost weight on this diet. Do you maintain the no-carb thing forever? Or how do you phase back in some carbs when you are done losing weight?
I do not see how anyone can maintain this diet for any reasonable period of time. No need to be so drastic. No need to cut out carbs. Not all carbs are bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss