Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 03:21 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Hi, new to the board. I bought this book from Amazon and started the diet two weeks ago tomorrow and it's working GREAT! It's not for everyone, but for me, carbs have always been the problem.

It's like some people (my grandmother) can smoke well into their 90's and have no problem. Others can get lung cancer in their 30's.

Has anyone else had success on this diet? I've done Atkins (MANY years ago), South Beach (10 years ago) and this one. Having slugged through the book, this is the only time I've really understood WHY carbs are a problem for some people. Easiest diet I've ever been on, I have to say.
There are many, many people in Africa who subsist on carbs alone in the form of grains. They are not obese, in fact most of them are underweight.

How does Dr. Taubes explain this?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 07:46 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,103,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Once a week to me is fairly regular consumption. It's usually not the only meat a person eats, they're also eating chicken, shrimp, fish, etc.
You can call it whatever you wish, but the studies on red meat are looking at consumption levels that are higher than once a week but still well within the range of normal eating patterns. Many people in the west consume one or more servings of red meat a day.

Quote:
Many of these factors are adjusted for, but not all. The highest red meat eaters overwhelmingly tend to lead very unhealthy lives all around.
If a study tracks a particular variable, the researchers will control for the variable to see if it makes a difference. Its the variables that the researchers don't track that are the problem.... But, as I said, you're always going to have confounding variables in human nutritional studies.

I'm not sure why you're listing a few studies, but human nutritional studies will always have different results due to the above. That is, the studies always have confounding variables and often they aren't the same variables......so voila differences in the studies. This is why you have to look at the studies collectively. If 10 studies show a positive relationship between red meat and heart disease and 4 studies are neutral, this taken together is a strong indication that red meat is a factor in heart disease. Of course, people that already have their mind set will use the 4 neutral studies to try to "debunk" the 10 studies....but that isn't how science works. This is, by the way, largely what Taubes does.....but why would one expect an engineer turned Journalist to have a good understanding of science?

I find the grass fed vs grain fed thing to be largely obfuscatory, you see similar results in Australia where all beef is grass fed.

Quote:
As far as the Mediterranean diet, do you know of any studies comparing it to other diets generally considered healthy? I'm not aware of any, and it's not for lack of looking. I've seen a few studies where it outperformed certain low-fat diets but that's about it.
There aren't many serious studies on the "Mediterranean diet" because its largely about marketing particular products. The studies are typically funded by the olive, etc industry.

Almost always, when I study looks at a "low-fat" diet it really does no such thing. The "low-fat" group in the study always ends up eating way more fat than they should.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 981 times
Just found this board, I was recommended this book by one of my doctors, and have been looking for others who have tried this diet. Wondering what kind of results over what period of time people have seen.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:19 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,784,983 times
I had an interesting day at bridge yesterday. I don't buy bread, have not had it in my house for over 7-8 yrs. I will get a burger with a toasted bun when out but at home burger is wrapped in romaine lettuce leaves.

The hostess made lunch yesterday and she served sandwiches bread sandwiches. I guess I was like a kid who doesn't get candy at home and when out, look out. So I got a good bread fix but I'm done for a long time, I KNOW that.

Now two of our members LOVE bread and they say they do and both these ladies are probably 100 lbs overweight each. They are about 5' tall and both have knee and joint issues. One talks about being borderline diabetic, but I believe she is diabetic and in denial. She LOVES her breads and other sweets too..

Now I have a haircutter I've known about 8 months or so and she has taken off 72 lbs since I know here..she told me was 262 when she started taking off serious weight and was going to the diabetic area. She has eliminated all WHITE food stuffs...she's serious and so proud of her accomplishment in this weight issue. She walks a lot and goes to a gym too....says she wants to take off 50 more lbs...she's about 5' tall.

We are are worst enemies and sabatogue ourselves constantly but many do take charge and save themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss