Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
According to Dr. Atkins, you get a 200-300 calorie a day "metabolic effect" because of the way your body processes fats and proteins versus carbs. Therefore eating a 1,700-1,800 calorie a day diet with few carbs would be equivalent to 1,500 on a more balanced one. I have no idea whether or not it's true as I've never tracked my calorie consumption that closely while doing his plan.

IIUC thats not to due to insulin effects, but due to the caloric cost of macro nutrient breakdown.

That was reflected in the newest version of Weight Watchers, Points Plus, which changed the relative point costs of carb grams vs fat and protein grams. Some old weight watchers hands reacted by saying "OMG, now WW is just like Atkins!" My experience with it, comparing how I have eaten on WW Point Plus, with the way folks here talk about low carb approaches, is that it really, really isn't. For the most part WW points plus leads you to a balanced intake, but somewhat lower in carbs than you would have had in old WW (though as always, the points system gives you lots of flexibility)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
Wow . . . what a Pandora's Box! I really wanted a quiet little thread where people who had had success with this guy's book came together to share recipes, successes.

I don't want anyone to tell me what to eat or not to eat.

I know what works for MY body and what does not. And I have been on every single diet out there - low fat, Target Diet, celery soup, low cal, SlimFast . . NONE of them work for me like low carb does.

I am losing weight, not having hunger "pains", I have a lot of energy, eating lots of fresh vegetables, and I feel really good. I'm happy!

This is MY last post. I'm going back to fatsecret.com which is much less negative.

Wishing everyone much success on whatever WORKS FOR YOU!!!!

(If you don't agree with low carb, then just stick to your weight watchers thread or wherever! It's none of your business what I eat. I don't care what YOU eat! If you don't have anything positive to say then DON'T SAY IT! Off to drink lemonade with artificial sweetener . . . )

Old 08-10-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Understand that this is not about low carb vs. low fat diets
Can someone remind me AGAIN of whom exactly is advocating low fat diets? Its really low carb vs balanced, calorie restricted. That Taubes harps on the low fat diet straw man was ONE of the reasons I dismissed hiim. Of course thats something more grounded low carb advocates do as well.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:36 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You can bring another dozen of links, but that won't change the fact I've known before I ever read anything of this nature that I gain weight when eating carbs and I couldn't care less what any of your "experts" say. I wish it weren't true... Oh, boy, how do I wish it were not true!
To me, this sounds as if you have trouble with overdoing the carbs! So gaining weight is probably not just the carbs, but the quantity of the carbs.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Wow . . . what a Pandora's Box! I really wanted a quiet little thread where people who had had success with this guy's book came together to share recipes, successes.

I know what works for MY body and what does not. And I have been on every single diet out there - low fat, Target Diet, celery soup, low cal, SlimFast . . NONE of them work for me like low carb does.

I am losing weight, not having hunger "pains", I have a lot of energy, eating lots of fresh vegetables, and I feel really good. I'm happy!

This is MY last post. I'm going back to fatsecret.com which is much less negative.

(If you don't agree with low carb, then just stick to your weight watchers thread or wherever! It's none of your business what I eat. I don't care what YOU eat! If you don't have anything positive to say then DON'T SAY IT! Off to drink lemonade with artificial sweetener . . . )
Im the only one advocating for WW here (and I dont care what you eat either, but I do care when false stuff is reported as science, esp in my beloved NYT, and when it creeps into the wider discourse on nutritional policy, etc) Bosco here is a low carb advocate with whom I have had disagreements. If you are responding to him, you misread him.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:20 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:

You posted in an open forum, MAKING it our business. If you wanted to not get responses from people who disagree with you, then you should've posted on a blog and restricted comments. This forum is not the place for that.

If you had taken the time to read ANY of the previous (recent) threads with posters talking about Taub's diets, you would have known you'd be stepping onto a hornet's nest by opening your very own thread dedicated to it.

It's unfortunate that you couldn't be bothered to do that though.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:06 AM

97 posts, read 210,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You posted in an open forum, MAKING it our business. If you wanted to not get responses from people who disagree with you, then you should've posted on a blog and restricted comments. This forum is not the place for that.

If you had taken the time to read ANY of the previous (recent) threads with posters talking about Taub's diets, you would have known you'd be stepping onto a hornet's nest by opening your very own thread dedicated to it.

It's unfortunate that you couldn't be bothered to do that though.
It seems that you're (rightly) referring to yourself as a hornet.

I agree with CountryGirl2b= - just for the record. I've been resisting the urge to reply to the posts here because it gets so heated.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 AM

folks, as far as I can tell, Mr Taubes in his writing does NOT say "heres one approach, it may work you, but it may not be for everyone" He insists rather vociferously, that he is right, and that "calorie in calorie out" advocates are wrong or dishonest. Thats a good way to get attention as a journalist, but it does mean that those who disagree with him are not going to quiety allow him to be quoted as an authority.

Its not anonchick who created the hornets nest around Taubes - its Taubes who did that.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:55 AM

420 posts, read 1,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
folks, as far as I can tell, Mr Taubes in his writing does NOT say "heres one approach, it may work you, but it may not be for everyone" He insists rather vociferously, that he is right, and that "calorie in calorie out" advocates are wrong or dishonest. Thats a good way to get attention as a journalist, but it does mean that those who disagree with him are not going to quiety allow him to be quoted as an authority.

Its not anonchick who created the hornets nest around Taubes - its Taubes who did that.
Not true. I'm pretty sure he claims that most people have an intolerance to glucose, not all. Not everyones body processes every the exact same way

And the idea that its simply not just calories in calories out is almost certainly clear. All calories arent created equal... I think most would agree to that

Old 08-10-2011, 12:49 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
According to Dr. Atkins, you get a 200-300 calorie a day "metabolic effect" because of the way your body processes fats and proteins versus carbs. Therefore eating a 1,700-1,800 calorie a day diet with few carbs would be equivalent to 1,500 on a more balanced one. I have no idea whether or not it's true as I've never tracked my calorie consumption that closely while doing his plan.
To my understanding, the science of that is still being debated. I personally think there is an advantage, albeit a small one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
I'm not saying I follow any one way of eating. I dont think Taubes knows everything, I just say he opened my mind to consider other things. Maybe the reccomended nutrition from the government isnt right for me... I know when I consume enough fat in any given day, I'm not hungry. When I dont eat enough fat in the morning, I'm hungry before lunch, if I dont eat enough fat at lunch, I dont have enough energy to get through my workout. Maybe your body doesnt work the same way? Who knows, but this is what works for me
Serious kudoes to you for being willing to keep an open mind and consider differing viewpoints . We have a poster here who when confronted with facts that contradict her views on whatever her fad diet on the month is, just doubles down or disappears, and those types never really reach their full potential. Dogma can be a very bad thing and even I am susceptible to it from time to time.

It looks like you have a pretty solid diet going so far, and if it is working I see no reason to fix something that isn't broke. It also makes perfect sense that you feel more full after eating fat as protein and fat are the two most filling nutrients available, respectively.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you were expecting here. We have a solid group of posters here, who despite all having different viewpoints and preferred methods of dieting, place a high value on science and intellectual honesty. Starting a discussion based on a book seriously lacking in both is a sure fire way to turn up the heat, although please understand that we are attacking this book and not you personally.

Quote:
And yet isn't that exactly what you're letting Taubes do?

Quote:

I feel like I'm being redundant here, but this is not an attack on low carb diets. They work. They work well. I've used them and so have other posters here. The problem with Taubes is his misrepresents (probably intentionally) why and how they work while setting up these fake boogeymen with insulin and carbs. That's just garbage science and it makes the low carb community look like idiots, a stigma they've been fighting for decades.

By all means though, I encourage you use a low carb diet for weightloss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Can someone remind me AGAIN of whom exactly is advocating low fat diets? Its really low carb vs balanced, calorie restricted. That Taubes harps on the low fat diet straw man was ONE of the reasons I dismissed hiim. Of course thats something more grounded low carb advocates do as well.
Well when I said "low fat" I was speaking in a more general term for calorie deficit diets not based on low carbs. I probably should have chosen my words better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss