Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:37 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times

Advertisements

Is anyone on a low salt diet and have you had to give up eating out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 12:31 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,220,763 times
My father was on a low sodium diet.

He had a tiny duffel bag and packed his own seasonings when he ate out. He carried salt substitute. Ask your doctor if it is ok to use it. He also packed some Mrs. Dash. With oil & vinegar and a little Mrs. Dash he could make his own salad dressing. You could also make your own herb mix if you wish.

Choose a restaurant that prepares the food to order and ask for no salt. Most will be happy to do so. Skip the sauces. Ask for steamed veggies and add the Mrs. Dash. Check out chain restaurant menu nutrition info on the web before you go to get an idea of the best choices.

See here for Mrs. Dash:

Salt Free Seasonings | Mrs. Dash

And here for more suggestions:

Eating out when you are on a low-sodium diet

Old 08-20-2011, 01:47 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My father was on a low sodium diet.

He had a tiny duffel bag and packed his own seasonings when he ate out. He carried salt substitute. Ask your doctor if it is ok to use it. He also packed some Mrs. Dash. With oil & vinegar and a little Mrs. Dash he could make his own salad dressing. You could also make your own herb mix if you wish.

Choose a restaurant that prepares the food to order and ask for no salt. Most will be happy to do so. Skip the sauces. Ask for steamed veggies and add the Mrs. Dash. Check out chain restaurant menu nutrition info on the web before you go to get an idea of the best choices.

See here for Mrs. Dash:

Salt Free Seasonings | Mrs. Dash

And here for more suggestions:

Eating out when you are on a low-sodium diet
Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Thanks for the advice.
You're welcome!

Suzy Q

Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,541 times
It is almost impossible to eat low sodium in most restaurants unless you are happy with just an oil & vinegar salad. Your best bet is to eat extremely low sodium foods the day before and after you go to the restaurant, that will help even out your overall sodium intake. While at the restaurant, avoid any soups, salad dressings or sauced foods, and try to limit your portion sizes, or doggy bag half of your meal for another day. For more extensive tips, find the LOW SODIUM thread somewhere in this forum

Old 09-06-2011, 04:51 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Its almost impossible to eat a low sodium diet out at restaurants. For one, you really have no way of knowing the sodium/salt content of any dish, and two, you cant tell the waiter to have the chef prepare your meal low sodium. Even if they advertise "low sodium" you still have no idea of really knowing the sodium content of that particular entree. Best to stay away from eating out or just order raw spinich type salad dishes.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
It is almost impossible to eat low sodium in most restaurants unless you are happy with just an oil & vinegar salad. Your best bet is to eat extremely low sodium foods the day before and after you go to the restaurant, that will help even out your overall sodium intake. While at the restaurant, avoid any soups, salad dressings or sauced foods, and try to limit your portion sizes, or doggy bag half of your meal for another day. For more extensive tips, find the LOW SODIUM thread somewhere in this forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Its almost impossible to eat a low sodium diet out at restaurants. For one, you really have no way of knowing the sodium/salt content of any dish, and two, you cant tell the waiter to have the chef prepare your meal low sodium. Even if they advertise "low sodium" you still have no idea of really knowing the sodium content of that particular entree. Best to stay away from eating out or just order raw spinich type salad dishes.

You can limit the salt in restaurant dishes if, as Herb says, you avoid sauces.

I have eaten out with my father many times when he had to really limit salt because of his heart disease.

Many restaurants will prepare meals without salt. You can ask your waiter to have the chef prepare without salt. Ask for a steak without salt, add a salad and make your own oil and vinegar dressing with your own seasoning, which you bring with you, and ask for steamed veggies with a little butter and add your own low salt seasoning. The carb eaters can have a baked potato. You're not stuck with just a salad and oil and vinegar.

I seldom eat in really expensive restaurants, but I have a suspicion that the chef in a fine restaurant could come up with something low salt and tasty if you let the wait staff know you need it. I have a nephew who's a chef. I'll ask him.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:40 AM

179 posts, read 465,364 times
TABLE SALT IS A KILLER ........... DON'T USE IT , ALL YOUR FOODS HAVE IT,CHECK SODIUM CONTENT ON LABLE. AS FAR AS EATING OUT LOTS OF LUCK !

Old 03-03-2012, 07:16 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
I try and eat low sodium, I only ccok with kosher or sea salt and use ony 1 tsp in my cooking, I do not add more salt later on. I buy low sodium chicken broth or beef broth. I stay away from Chinese takeout because of the salt content. I try and make the same dishes I would get out in a restaurant but at least at home I can control the salt content. I drink a lot of water to lsuh out my sytem too. If I get any take out it's usually 2 times per month. We used to eat take out 3 times a week but for the past year we have cut it way down. We do go out to eat but it's ususally for steak or seafood. I have not had chicnese take out in 2 months and I don't miss it.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
You can do the same trick "salad dieters" do:

Ask for the sauce on the side, not on the entree.

Dip your fork into the sauce, and then spear a forkful of the entree food.

That way, you get the taste of the sauce (which is part of the reason you ordered it in the first place - chicken alfredo without sauce is just..a slice of cooked chicken), without adding significant risk to your health.

Yes, it -will- add sodium to what you're eating. But the amount you consume won't be comparable to what you'd eat if the sauce was mixed into the dish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss