Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:01 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,871 times

Advertisements

Two more of my favorite treats:

Blend 2 frozen bananas and maybe 1/2 a cup or so(?) of skim milk. If you want to, add a spoonful of peanut butter. Blend it until it's thick and creamy. This is my version of "ice cream" for me and I love it. Or omit the peanut butter and add frozen blueberries. Just don't smile at anyone after you eat that. The blueberry skins stick to your teeth and you look like a pirate.

Or blend a bunch of frozen strawberries with Light Cranberry Juice. Excellent healthy treat. I tried this with mixed frozen fruit, but it had too much fibrous pulp in it. Even though that is usually a good thing, it's like pulling little bits of hair out of your mouth. Ick! Trust me, strawberries are better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 12:02 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,928,583 times
you can eat whatever you want to lose weight just use common sense portion control

Old 08-20-2011, 03:13 PM

If anyone is seriously trying to lose weight, just remember 3 things. Don't eat anything with white flour or sugar in it and nothing fried. Omit those things from your life and you'd be surprised how much healthier and thinner you'll be for doing so.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:53 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post
If anyone is seriously trying to lose weight, just remember 3 things. Don't eat anything with white flour or sugar in it and nothing fried. Omit those things from your life and you'd be surprised how much healthier and thinner you'll be for doing so.
I would have to differ...I have lost over 100 pounds and I still ate white flour but not much. I did stop eating sweets but I didn't totally give up on sugar. I do eat fried foods but not often....so it's possible!

Old 08-21-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
I would have to differ...I have lost over 100 pounds and I still ate white flour but not much. I did stop eating sweets but I didn't totally give up on sugar. I do eat fried foods but not often....so it's possible!
You basically proved my point. (And congrats on the -100#'s!!!)

That advice came directly from Chris Powell.

2: Remove or at least reduce sugar, flour and fried foods. Our food has changed more in the past 50 years than in the past 5,000, and these three foods are some of the main culprits in the obesity epidemic we are facing today. Removing them from your diet may seem difficult since they are in the majority of our processed foods.

From Chris Powell | News on ABC?s ?Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition? | chrispowell.com

Old 08-21-2011, 06:41 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Well I do since they are very high in dietary fiber. If you are already on a low carb diet, then you have allowance for this dish. Especially since it's all healthy ingredients.

Most people don't know that fiber reduces carbs. For example: one 6" low carb whole wheat tortilla has 12 carbs in it. BUT it has 8 grams of dietary fiber. So basically the tortilla has only 4 real carbs in it. The same principal applies to whole grain rice and black beans.
That's the glycemic index, which has several flaws and should not be relied upon.

Elements Challenging the Glycemic Index - AlanAragon.com - Fitness Based on Science & Experience (http://www.alanaragon.com/elements-challenging-the-validity-of-the-glycemic-index.html - broken link)

Quote:
Why would you advise people against eating those foods? When consumed in moderation and in conjunction with a balanced diet, they are perfectly healthy.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Why would you advise people against eating those foods? When consumed in moderation and in conjunction with a balanced diet, they are perfectly healthy.
The topic of this thread is finding recipe's while losing weight. I'm pretty sure that does not include deep fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, butter rolls, chocolate cake and ice cream.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:41 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That's the glycemic index, which has several flaws and should not be relied upon.

Elements Challenging the Glycemic Index - AlanAragon.com - Fitness Based on Science & Experience (http://www.alanaragon.com/elements-challenging-the-validity-of-the-glycemic-index.html - broken link)

Wow, sugar is healthy? Who knew?

Cut up chicken (with the skin removed), cut up fresh veggies of choice like carrots, cabbage, celery, onions, and tomatoes. Season to taste (no salt).

Throw it all in a crock pot before bed and I wake up to meals for the next few days.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:45 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
The topic of this thread is finding recipe's while losing weight. I'm pretty sure that does not include deep fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, butter rolls, chocolate cake and ice cream.
First off, you mentioned white flour, sugar and fried foods, which is what I responded too. Second, those foods absolutely can be consumed on a cutting diet based on balanced macros. They would have to be consumed in small portions and not every day, but they can still be consumed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Wow, sugar is healthy? Who knew?
People who value science and research over alarmist bull**** knew.

Seriously though, sugar...as with any food really...is perfectly fine in moderation.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:03 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Lol...you sound like my grandmaster (old korean dude who grew up in a monastery doing martial arts)...he always said, "No eat white food! Lose weight!"

At first I thought he meant white people food. Lol...then I realized he meant any food that was white...sugar, flour, rice, bread, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss