Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2022, 11:06 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,008,363 times

Advertisements

I'm unable to participate in exercise due to moderate cervical disc degeneration exacerbated by whiplash from an auto accident last September. I also have some form of moderate sleep apnea which creates daytime sleepiness and narcolepsy symptoms. My pulmonologist feels a twenty-pound weight loss might be sufficient to alleviate the obstruction, however the varying degrees of nerve pain and mild vertigo make safely even walking around the block an issue so feel some form of weight management focused on increasing metabolism is the key. Thoughts and/or successful suggestions under similar circumstances?

Last edited by kyle19125; 01-01-2022 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 04:48 PM

178 posts, read 116,357 times
Weight loss happens in the kitchen. Nothing to do with exercise. This is how I've lost 50+ lbs in the last year. Not much exercising, just eating less. You can choose to have less on a plate, or eating less frequently, or skipping meals, or fasting, and other variations.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:14 AM

9,182 posts, read 6,222,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruegel View Post
Weight loss happens in the kitchen. Nothing to do with exercise. This is how I've lost 50+ lbs in the last year. Not much exercising, just eating less. You can choose to have less on a plate, or eating less frequently, or skipping meals, or fasting, and other variations.
Bully and Congratulations to you, but exercise is still needed for a healthy body. Being a couch potato, albeit a lighter potato, is not healthy.

Old 01-02-2022, 11:01 AM

310 posts, read 324,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Bully and Congratulations to you, but exercise is still needed for a healthy body. Being a couch potato, albeit a lighter potato, is not healthy.
I agree 100%. For me exercise is non negotiable, however the OP has limitations. I think a reduced calorie diet whether it be CICO, low carb, fasting or any other way they choose, should be the focus at this point.

Old 01-02-2022, 12:38 PM

178 posts, read 116,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Not a nice person, are we?

Exercise is for maintaining your health/wellbeing, not so much for losing weight. Educate yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
the OP has limitations. I think a reduced calorie diet whether it be CICO, low carb, fasting or any other way they choose, should be the focus at this point.
Just what I said.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:41 PM

9,182 posts, read 6,222,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm unable to participate in exercise due to moderate cervical disc degeneration exacerbated by whiplash from an auto accident last September. I also have some form of moderate sleep apnea which creates daytime sleepiness and narcolepsy symptoms. My pulmonologist feels a twenty-pound weight loss might be sufficient to alleviate the obstruction, however the varying degrees of nerve pain and mild vertigo make safely even walking around the block an issue so feel some form of weight management focused on increasing metabolism is the key. Thoughts and/or successful suggestions under similar circumstances?
Should not be primary focus. "Trying to boost your metabolism probably won't lead to weight loss. To lose weight, focus on reducing calories and increasing activity. To lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you take in." https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...m/faq-20058346

Old 01-02-2022, 07:32 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,984,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

I'm surprised your pulmonologist didn't prescribe physical therapy. No need to "walk around the block", you'll be guided in a safe place (no fall risk) by the therapist assigned to you. I'm also surprised gabapentin wasn't prescribed for your nerve pain.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:47 PM

3,128 posts, read 1,022,707 times
Kyle,

You can look into Isometric exercises to help maintain strength. Also, lower the carbs in your diet, limited junk, sugar, bread, pasta etc. And use intermittent fasting if possible.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:56 PM

310 posts, read 324,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm surprised your pulmonologist didn't prescribe physical therapy. No need to "walk around the block", you'll be guided in a safe place (no fall risk) by the therapist assigned to you. I'm also surprised gabapentin wasn't prescribed for your nerve pain.
Gabapentin is a great drug for nerve pain if you can handle it. I cannot take it. Hopefully the OP has some relief for nerve pain. I agree about the PT. A doctor can prescribe it and insurance will usually cover some if not all of it.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:15 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruegel View Post
Agreed. Just to piggyback on this. The easiest way to lose weight is to eat REAL FOOD. Processed food isn't real food. Fast food isn't real food. Soda isn't real food. If it has ingredients you can't pronounce on it, it's not real food. If it's something your great grandmother wouldn't have recognized as food, it's not real food.

As author Michal Pollan said over a decade ago: "Eat food. Mostly plants. Not too much".

Here's some great plant based recipes I learned to make for myself when Covid started (Black beans & Pasta, Moroccan chicken & Coussous soup, Sweet Potato Stir Fry, Spinach Chickpea Salad.) I wish I'd learned to do this stuff 20 years ago. It's not that hard, and these recipes taste great:

https://thefirstmess.com/2018/04/04/...-vegan-recipe/

https://tasty.co/recipe/sweet-potato-stir-fry

https://www.goodlifeeats.com/southwe...ck-bean-pasta/

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/...-couscous-soup

https://www.veggiessavetheday.com/me...hickpea-salad/

The biggest thing for me was I needed to get familiar with the spice section of the grocery store. I found WalMart actually has the same spices for a lot less than the regular grocery stores.

I also do a 24 hour fast about once a month. (I try to do a fast every weekend, but something often comes up, so I succeed in doing one about once a month). But you could start with a food rule of something like "No food other than unsweetened tea after 6PM or 7PM until breakfast the next day". Every hour beyond 8 hours that your body goes without eating does all kinds of good stuff for your body. If you stop eating at 7PM and eat breakfast, at 7 AM, that's 12 hours without eating--almost a mini-fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss