Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 06:25 PM

415 posts, read 615,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Actually, there really is no substantial difference between HFCS and regular sugar. They are both perfectly safe when taken in moderation, much to the contrary of seemingly popular opinion. Here are a couple links I've posted here before, complete with scientific citations. I highly recommend reading the first (and the subsequent comments) but the summary in the second link will suffice.

The bitter truth about fructose alarmism. | Alan Aragon's Blog

A retrospective of the fructose alarmism debate. | Alan Aragon's Blog

And a very relevant quote.

In regards to your husbands allergy, I don't understand how that is relevant to the topic really. That said, I wouldn't use that as an example of an unsafe or unhealthy food. There are people allergic to peanuts too, and peanuts are perfectly safe and healthy for anyone with the allergy.
Another person bought and sold by the corn refiners. HFCS is not harmless and its not the same as sugar. It just isn't. There are plenty of articles out there that back what I said up. There are plenty of people out there who cut it out of their diet and felt better. I'm one of them. I no longer get migraines, and I crave junk a lot less. My dad's diabetes went under control when he cut out HFCS. And he still eats plenty of real sugar, not fake crap like HFCS.

And moderation? That's how I knew the rat poison - scuse me - corn refiners association was involved in the articles you posted. That tagline "its fine in moderation!"

Do you not realize HFCS is in just about everything? Not only is it in junk food, it is also in bread, pasta, crackers, graham crackers, ketchup, certain deli meats, processed cheeses, processed meats, frozen fruit, sorbet, yogurt, certain kinds of pre-packaged oatmeal, fruit juice, some mustards, most salad dressings, in fruit glazes, bagels, frozen dinners, vegetable medleys, I could go on, but I won't. Its in everything! Its impossible to eat HFCS in moderation!

I have met many who have cut out HFCS, and they've gotten healthier from it - even those who simply switched to real cane sugar candy stuff at the organic stores. The corn refiners can press their lies all they want, but I will never eat their trash again. I've met people who've dropped 15 pounds just by cutting it out of their diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 08:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
If it were as bad as you suggest it is, AND it's in everything processed, as you claim, then -everyone- in this country who eats processed foods - which is the majority of humans who exist in this country - would be dying, or sick, or obese, or a combination thereof.

And since the majority of humans who exist in this country have no symptoms attributable to the use of high fructose corn syrup, then - your theory must be incorrect.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If it were as bad as you suggest it is, AND it's in everything processed, as you claim, then -everyone- in this country who eats processed foods - which is the majority of humans who exist in this country - would be dying, or sick, or obese, or a combination thereof.

And since the majority of humans who exist in this country have no symptoms attributable to the use of high fructose corn syrup, then - your theory must be incorrect.
Not to mention her argument failed on a couple other aspects as well...like an unsubstantiated claim that me and apparently everyone else in that debate was "bought and sold by the corn refiners" and the complete inability to actually refute any of the scientific arguments or studies posted, instead deciding to argue anecdotal evidence.

All I can do is laugh at people like her.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:41 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Granted I wasn't living exactly 20 years ago, but McDonalds burgers have always been the same size, and if anything it has gotten smaller. Everything is getting smaller. Potato chip "big bag" sizes sure used to have a lot of chips in them now the are barely half full. Fast food burgesr are very tiny compared to real burgers you get at sit down restaurants like Chilis, applebees, outback steakhouse etc now those burgers are big and leave you feeling full. You didn't eat unless you feel very full.

I know my opinions are not popular, but you cannot feed adults on happy meal size kids meal portions.It is not going to work. You get more for your money when the portions are bigger.Those pictures do not cut it for me. Since the authors are so dedicated why didn;t they get a bunch of so called "huge portion size' food and "ideal portion size food" and stand them side by side so we could see a real difference. Sorry but slapping two of the same food photos and just enlarging one with an image editing program is just not realistic.
Actually, I do frequently order a child's meal, if the restaurant will allow it and the child menu has what I want to eat. So you can feed an adult with what a restaurant considers a child's meal.

If you are trying to lose weight, you need to stop eating before you "feel full." If you have gained weight, eating until you feel full has caused you to eat too much.

And serving sizes have increased:

UNC Study Confirms That Food Portion Sizes Increased In U.S. Over Two Decades

'Portion Distortion' May Contribute To Expanding Waistlines, Study Reports

A guide to portion sizes:

Portion Size Plate | Recommended Serving Sizes for Portion Control

Old 09-05-2011, 10:17 AM

415 posts, read 615,816 times
Quote:

It is bad. There have been countless studies on it. Here is one for you.

Fructose, high fructose corn syrup increased risk factors for CVD

And a growing number of people in this country ARE obese or overweight, and type 2 Diabetes is becoming ever more and more common. In fact, as our diet as Americans spreads across the planet, HFCS included, the amount of obese people and diabetics goes up, up and away. Google is YOUR friend.

And, you don't ever read labels, or grocery shop much.

But hey, continue to believe the crap the corn refiners association throws at you. After all, HFCS is so very healthy - its made from corn! /sarc

Old 09-05-2011, 12:01 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post

And a growing number of people in this country ARE obese or overweight, and type 2 Diabetes is becoming ever more and more common. In fact, as our diet as Americans spreads across the planet, HFCS included, the amount of obese people and diabetics goes up, up and away. Google is YOUR friend.

But hey, continue to believe the crap the corn refiners association throws at you. After all, HFCS is so very healthy - its made from corn! /sarc
You must have not have read your own link, because it discredits your assertion in post 31 that HFCS is not the same as real sugar. From the link...

Quote:
“Our findings demonstrate that several factors associated with an elevated risk for cardiovascular disease were increased in individuals consuming 25% of their calories as fructose or high fructose corn syrup
In their own words, the group taking fructose (that's natural fruit sugar, for those who don't know) suffered the same effects as those taking the same doses of HFCS.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post

The corn refiners association doesn't throw anything at me. I do read labels, and I do -all- the grocery shopping for my family. I am overweight, and I don't eat a lot of -any- sugar, let alone corn syrup. My husband, on the other hand, will eat corn-syrup-ketchup-laden cheeseburgers from McDonalds if I let him, every single day, and he -does- drink a 20-ounce bottle of pepsi with corn syrupr sweetener in it every single day, and he's underweight. He also does not have diabetes.

But you go ahead and believe the crap the conspiracy theorists throw at you. After all, HFCS is so evil - it's made by a refinery!

Old 09-05-2011, 04:57 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
It is one of those food additives that slow or shut off the natural "full" response. And the whole country...well aren't they sick and obese?

Old 09-05-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
It is one of those food additives that slow or shut off the natural "full" response. And the whole country...well aren't they sick and obese?
1. It isn't a "food additive". It's a sweetener, just like cane and beet sugar, honey, maply syrup, saccharine, splenda, stevia, and whatever else is the latest trend, are sweeteners. It doesn't slow or shut off the "full" response any more than a piece of steak slows or shuts off the "full" response. It has less nutrition than a piece of steak, but if you are eating healthy and paying attention to what you shovel in your mouth, then it won't matter if it slows your "full response" faster than something else or not. You know if you eat a piece of steak with steak sauce, and a small salad, and a tall glass of lemon water, you will have consumed exactly the same amount of food whether or not the steak sauce had brown sugar or HFCS in it.

2. The whole country is not sick or obese.

So - again - this is faulty logic, resulting in an untrue statement.

Corn syrup is a sweetener. It's calories and carbs with little nutritional value, just like sugar is calories and carbs with little nutritional value. It has a similar sweetness rank to sugar, and it is used similarly to sugar in sweetening things. It is also stable, which means it can be used cheaply and easily in canned and prepared goods.

If you're looking for something that isn't so nutritionally vacant, then I'd recommend cooking from scratch, reading labels more carefully, or just avoiding anything pre-made, frozen, or canned. People who need to avoid corn syrup -also- need to avoid sugar and fruit. If you don't need to avoid sugar and fruit, then you don't need to avoid corn syrup.

Regardless of -which- you're consuming, it's not a good idea to eat too much of it. Sugar, fruit, or corn syrup. If all these foods were made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup, there would STILL be an obesity problem. The problem isn't that people are consuming corn syrup. The problem is that people are consuming too much, period.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:14 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Regardless of -which- you're consuming, it's not a good idea to eat too much of it. Sugar, fruit, or corn syrup. If all these foods were made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup, there would STILL be an obesity problem. The problem isn't that people are consuming corn syrup. The problem is that people are consuming too much, period.

The obesity epidemic in a nutshell. Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss