Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times

Advertisements

American Portion Sizes Growing - Delish.com

Picture examples with calorie loads to show how much food has changed over the years. Yet everyone is saying crap about metabolisms....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 10:58 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post

Picture examples with calorie loads to show how much food has changed over the years. Yet everyone is saying crap about metabolisms....

This is why I LOVE LOVE LOVE that all restaurants here in Los Angeles (probably all in California) are REQUIRED BY LAW to post in their menus, the amount of calories contained in each item/dish on the menu. This makes it easier for people who care about their weight/health to avoid single item entrees that contain like 3500 calories.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:59 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:

Traditionally, IIUC, pasta is a SIDE dish in Italian cuisine, eaten along with meat, fish or eggplant, and preceded by a salad, not the whole meal. On WW wife and I have to get used to eating one cup servings of pasta again.

Im not sure about the bagels (And yeah, ive seen that size comparison before). ISTR fresh bagels from NYC hot bagel shops being big - it was the frozen lenders variety that were small. Though I may be misremembering.

of course I remember the small soda bottles. The green coke bottles especially. Of course today that size comes in cans, but still, lots of people get the huge bottles. Thats a lot of (empty) calories.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:57 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Traditionally, IIUC, pasta is a SIDE dish in Italian cuisine, eaten along with meat, fish or eggplant, and preceded by a salad, not the whole meal. On WW wife and I have to get used to eating one cup servings of pasta again.

Im not sure about the bagels (And yeah, ive seen that size comparison before). ISTR fresh bagels from NYC hot bagel shops being big - it was the frozen lenders variety that were small. Though I may be misremembering.

of course I remember the small soda bottles. The green coke bottles especially. Of course today that size comes in cans, but still, lots of people get the huge bottles. Thats a lot of (empty) calories.
My italian inlaws traditionally serve spaghetti and meatballs and fat italian sausages with a salad, once a week. There is also usually bread served as well. The "menfolk" often have a couple cups of pasta with their meals, the "wimmenfolk" maybe around a cup. Plus one meatball or sausage per person (with the men sometimes taking one of each). The meatballs are typically around 1/5 of a pound so that's a big chunk of beef.

Depending on where in Italy your family is from, it's not unusual to have pasta AND bread with your meal. So you're getting serious carbs at dinner time.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:17 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:

The portion sizes...not the food itself...is the issue. Of course that is not groundbreaking information anyways, but I digress.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:59 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
The portion sizes...not the food itself...is the issue. Of course that is not groundbreaking information anyways, but I digress.
The food has changed too, to a certain extent. They now use much more HFCS than sugar. Neither is very good for you in excess, of course, but HFCS is worse than sugar, IMO. Also, many more people are allergic to/intolerant of corn and corn products (like my husband) than sugar cane, so the "corn sugar" people who say your body can't tell the difference? Yeah, lying aresholes, they are.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:14 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
The food has changed too, to a certain extent. They now use much more HFCS than sugar. Neither is very good for you in excess, of course, but HFCS is worse than sugar, IMO. Also, many more people are allergic to/intolerant of corn and corn products (like my husband) than sugar cane, so the "corn sugar" people who say your body can't tell the difference? Yeah, lying aresholes, they are.
Actually, there really is no substantial difference between HFCS and regular sugar. They are both perfectly safe when taken in moderation, much to the contrary of seemingly popular opinion. Here are a couple links I've posted here before, complete with scientific citations. I highly recommend reading the first (and the subsequent comments) but the summary in the second link will suffice.

The bitter truth about fructose alarmism. | Alan Aragon's Blog

A retrospective of the fructose alarmism debate. | Alan Aragon's Blog

And a very relevant quote.

Quote:
Ganine asked the question of whether or not HFCS has different metabolic effects than regular sugar (sucrose). James Krieger came in with a follow-up response stating that, “The only practical difference between sucrose and HFCS is in the bonding. The glucose & fructose in HFCS is mainly free and unbonded, while it is bonded in sucrose. However, this makes no *meaningful* difference in regards to metabolism in the body. The bonds in sucrose are quickly broken when sucrose hits the acid environment of the stomach. This means that once sucrose hits the stomach, it’s no different from HFCS. Once you get to the small intestine, metabolism is *exactly* the same. This *little bit of difference* does not lead to the problems Dr. Lustig talks about. The fact is, HFCS and sucrose are identical as far as your body is concerned. The difference in bonding wouldn’t make a shred of difference in regards to your health.”
In regards to your husbands allergy, I don't understand how that is relevant to the topic really. That said, I wouldn't use that as an example of an unsafe or unhealthy food. There are people allergic to peanuts too, and peanuts are perfectly safe and healthy for anyone with the allergy.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:25 PM

541 posts, read 861,244 times
Quote:

Good article! I'm always reminded of this when I see those little antique Coca-Cola bottles. That was considered a serving size a long time ago!

And yes, I do the when people blame their metabolism.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:43 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
hmm, I don't get it though - are people blind or that stupid that they're incapable of looking at a food item and realizing it's ginormous? It's not like the manufacturers are forcing the food down your throat. You don't HAVE to eat the whole bagel, you can have half or a quarter. On the same note, certain people may have not been satisfied with the smaller portions in the past and eaten 2-3 bagels instead of one. I completely agree that portion sizes are becoming ridiculous, but I'm tired of people blaming the companies for their overeating. Every time I'm at a Starbucks I look at their muffins and croissants and those things are MONSTROUS, like the size of my head. So how much thought does it take to realize that if it looks like 5 muffins in one, then it's probably got the calories of five muffins too.
One thing that really annoys me too is the amount of sugar they pump into everything now. Seriously, most commercial baked goods are sooo cloyingly sweet and completely tasteless otherwise, just sugar. Same with most flavored yogurts, cereals, etc., aside from the few decent organic versions, everything is just way too damn sweet. Getting a real pastry from a good European bakery is such a different experience, those starbux-type monster muffins don't even feel like a treat 'cause they're not even good. Sorry, rant over

Old 09-01-2011, 10:55 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
hmm, I don't get it though - are people blind or that stupid that they're incapable of looking at a food item and realizing it's ginormous? It's not like the manufacturers are forcing the food down your throat. You don't HAVE to eat the whole bagel, you can have half or a quarter. On the same note, certain people may have not been satisfied with the smaller portions in the past and eaten 2-3 bagels instead of one. I completely agree that portion sizes are becoming ridiculous, but I'm tired of people blaming the companies for their overeating. Every time I'm at a Starbucks I look at their muffins and croissants and those things are MONSTROUS, like the size of my head. So how much thought does it take to realize that if it looks like 5 muffins in one, then it's probably got the calories of five muffins too.
One thing that really annoys me too is the amount of sugar they pump into everything now. Seriously, most commercial baked goods are sooo cloyingly sweet and completely tasteless otherwise, just sugar. Same with most flavored yogurts, cereals, etc., aside from the few decent organic versions, everything is just way too damn sweet. Getting a real pastry from a good European bakery is such a different experience, those starbux-type monster muffins don't even feel like a treat 'cause they're not even good. Sorry, rant over
I'm with you on this. One thing I think has happened, though, is that people have become accustomed to seeing the giant pastries and thinking that it's normal. If you look at a muffin pan, the muffins are tiny in comparison! Same with some of the other things, though I think they are huge - like burgers. Yikes!

Also agree that most commercial pastries seem to be sugar vehicles, and don't taste all that great. Then again, I'm more into savories than sweets most of the time. I can't eat much wheat (my body takes exception to it), but I will occasionally suffer the consequences for a good artisan bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss