Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times

Advertisements

I don't know,but this thread is useless without pointing out bodyfat percentages.

We now know it isn't enough to say someone is fat or thin.

A thin,5ft 4in, 110lb woman who has a bf% of 32% is obese based on body fat percentage.
She has 35 pounds of fat and 75lbs of muscle.

A 5ft,4in 160lb woman with 20% bf% tehcnically is in the fit category.
She has 130 pounds of muscle and about 30 pounds of fat.

Its all about ratios,not weight.

But I will admit,I would have a hard time believing a 300 pound 5ft 4in woman would have a great fat to muscle ratio,unless she was a bodybuilder.
That would equal 220 pounds of muscle and 78 pounds of fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 10:20 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I'll probably regret this, but a question for Rick Santos:

If a lot of obesity is genetic..... what do you recommend? That the obese just eat what they want and not exercise?

It still seems wise for them to reduce calories, eat healthy and exercise even if they are genetically predisposed towards obesity.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:01 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
my figure is correct. After 2 years 95 % of all diets fail

after 10 yeras well over 98 %

.05 to 1 % make it after 8 to 10 years

AND NO, I SAID 15 % OF ALL OBESITY IS DUE TO SINGLE GENE DEFECTS IN ONE OF THE 4 NEURAL RECEPTORS.

WATCH THE LECTURE.

DR. FRIEDMAN HAS VERY STRONG REASON TO BELIVE THIS NUMBER WILL GROW GREATLY

IT HAS ALREADY GROWN FROM 5 % IN 2004. THEN IT WS 10 % IN 2010

NOW IT IS UP TO 15 %

RESEARCH MORE BEFORE COMMENTING.
Diets fails for a variety of reasons, not just genetics. Like all human behavior, it IS a complex issue. What were the exercise habits of those dieters? Research has already been cited in this thread that showed a positive correlation between exercise and long term maintenance of weight loss.

The bolded (by me) statements make absolutely no sense. A GENETIC cause cannot triple (5-15%) its incidence in less than one generation (2004-present). It is an impossible proposition.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:16 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
you are completely unfamilair with the lterature on dieting. It is a huge failure.

Science has shwon dieting does not work. The failure rate is staggering. It is based on research

after 2 to 3 years 95 % fail

after 6, 8 years 98 %

after a decade .05 % to 1 % will make it .

YOU ARE IGNORANT ON THIS MATTER AND NEVER WATCHED THE FRIEDMAN LECTURES.

OBESITY IS AS GENETIC AS HEIGHT. AND MORE SO THAN ANY MEDICAL CONDITION STUDIED

THE FAILURE RATE OF DIETING IS STAGGERING

15 % OF OBESITY IS ENTIRELY DUE TO DEFECTS IN NEURAL RECEPTORS

THE SITUATION IS BLEEK FOR FAT PEOPLE. THAT IS THE REALITY. IN TIME, WE WILL DEVELOP TREATMENTS.

EXERCISE AND DIETS ARE NOT AT ALL THE SOLUTION FRO OBESITY. DR. ARYA SHARMA WENT NTO GREAT DETAIL I TOOK A LOT OF EFFORT TO POST HIS LINKS. READ THEM

NONE OF YOU HAVE READ THE LINKS.

EDUCATE YOURSEL;F.

THERE IS VERY VERY VERY VERY LITTLE EVIDENCE FOR TH E BEHAVIORAL HYPOTHESIS OF OBESITY

EDUCATE YOURSELF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Zv-W7Oh4o

i already EXPLAINED how your BELIEFS are not based on anything
. YOu IGNORE genuine science from the top 4 pioneering scientists n this issue who educated OTHER scentists.

YOU IGNORED these scientists in FAVOR OF BELIEF.

YOU PEOPLE ARE BEYOND HELP.
Again, I DO educate myself and do not ignore them, I just don't simply throw out every other piece of research I read just because it doesn't match the latest findings by the current trendy scientist. Despite your claims to the contrary, my beliefs ARE based on sound peer reviewed research studies. Just because you don't like the results of the studies other have cited, does not give you the scientific expertise and omnipotent authority to dismiss it.

Again, your viewpoint would suggest that the situation is "bleek" [sic] and hopeless for the obese and they are simply supposed to sit and wait for science to progress enough to hand them a cure without any effort on their part - assuming they live long enough to see that day come! My viewpoint offers them hope and numerous long term health benefits even if they don't successfully lose ANY weight. It ain't a bed of roses and won't be without work and sacrifice, but it CAN improve the quality of their life!

Old 12-22-2012, 06:18 AM

525 posts, read 761,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Again, I DO educate myself and do not ignore them, I just don't simply throw out every other piece of research I read just because it doesn't match the latest findings by the current trendy scientist. Despite your claims to the contrary, my beliefs ARE based on sound peer reviewed research studies. Just because you don't like the results of the studies other have cited, does not give you the scientific expertise and omnipotent authority to dismiss it.

Again, your viewpoint would suggest that the situation is "bleek" [sic] and hopeless for the obese and they are simply supposed to sit and wait for science to progress enough to hand them a cure without any effort on their part - assuming they live long enough to see that day come! My viewpoint offers them hope and numerous long term health benefits even if they don't successfully lose ANY weight. It ain't a bed of roses and won't be without work and sacrifice, but it CAN improve the quality of their life!
You're right that exercise will BENEFIT HEALTH in obese popele Linda Bacon points this out.

But for weight loss it usually does not do much.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Diets fails for a variety of reasons, not just genetics. Like all human behavior, it IS a complex issue. What were the exercise habits of those dieters? Research has already been cited in this thread that showed a positive correlation between exercise and long term maintenance of weight loss.

The bolded (by me) statements make absolutely no sense. A GENETIC cause cannot triple (5-15%) its incidence in less than one generation (2004-present). It is an impossible proposition.

THat is wrong as Friedman points out. Natural selection acts powerfully over the SHORT TERM as Friedman points out in his lecture. THat argument is not scientifically supported that genes can't change.

BIOLOGY is the cause of weight regain as Dr Liebel has shwon

The genetic contribution to obesity .80 -.90 % ADOPTION STUDIES, MONOZYGOTICV TWIN STUDIES ALL SUPPORT THIS. LIFESTYLE MADE NO DIFFERENCE. THEY RESEMBLED THEIR BIOLOGICAL FAMILY AND THEIR OTHER MONOZYGOTIC TWIN

Heart disease is only .65%

The 15 % figure is ANOTHER ISSUE dealing with defects in the neural receptors. It is NOT THE genetic contribution.

15 % have defects in one of the 4 neural receptoras that regulates weight. This number gets bigger and bigger. Friedman suspects it will growe substantially

NEURAL CIRCUITRY IS WHAT CONTROSL OUR WEIGHT INVOLUNTARILY.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'll probably regret this, but a question for Rick Santos:

If a lot of obesity is genetic..... what do you recommend? That the obese just eat what they want and not exercise?

It still seems wise for them to reduce calories, eat healthy and exercise even if they are genetically predisposed towards obesity.

Good question:

I recommend they do what NORMAL people do. Try to eat nutrient dense and get some adequate movment. All healthy people have to do this. It is a requirement of everybody, even the very thin. UNactive skinny people do not live as long as active overweight poeple. This is a dirty little secret of science.

THE PROBLEM IS SOCIETY ASSUMES the obese are not moving. I see MANY active obese peope every single day.

I am sure there are some lazy obese people. But there are also just as many lazy thin people. The laziest . least active person I know is a very sknny little bastrad who eats whatever he chooses and will do anything to get out of work.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:54 AM

29 posts, read 41,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post
Very true, some people are have insulin spikes / issues when carbs are introduced in their system.

But facts are: calories in means weight gain, calories burned means weight loss.

It is an individual thing as far as how one's body burn calories. If I have understand correctly, the body's process of burning calories is in this order:
1. Eaten carbs
2. Eaten fat
3. Eaten protein
4. Stored carbs and fat from body fat.
5. Lean body muscle.
I won't disagree with this but... if you continue to eat enough carbs for your body to run on... it will never get around to burning the stored body fat... and that is the goal. You yourself have it listed #4 down the list!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 AM

29 posts, read 41,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
You can go low carb and I can guarantee you will gain it back. I personally know people who have done this (including family). Our bodies need equal amounts of healthy fats, carbs and protiens. Complex carbs fuel our body.
You can't guarantee it. I agree you will gain it back if you go back to your old way of eating. Isn't that a correct statement for any diet you go on? I can point out countless number of people in my family who have adopted and lost tons of weight on low carb and have maintained their weight loss (me included) but we all keep to a relatively low carb lifestyle.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 AM

178 posts, read 355,458 times
I do agree with you, things like pizza, doughnuts, coke and other fast foods and especially sweetened bakery items drive me crazy. i just lost my control when these things are all around me. everyday i try to eat less avoid sweet dishes desserts and fast food but somehow I break all my resolutions!! still I try to burn calories i have consumed by taking stairs instead of elevator, walk to my home intead of taking train or taxi! but I cant resist to eat'em all :3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss