Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,852,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpearl View Post
I do agree with you, things like pizza, doughnuts, coke and other fast foods and especially sweetened bakery items drive me crazy. i just lost my control when these things are all around me. everyday i try to eat less avoid sweet dishes desserts and fast food but somehow I break all my resolutions!! still I try to burn calories i have consumed by taking stairs instead of elevator, walk to my home intead of taking train or taxi! but I cant resist to eat'em all :3
Think of it this way. Leaving the donut on the plate saves you about 30 minutes of intervals at the gym, and that's only if you're working HARD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 AM

178 posts, read 355,815 times
Yeah! but going for a the donughnuts made of whole wheat flour is not a big deal, and especially when you are eating it once in a blue moon. Other than this to burn out your consumed fat one should have to work hard

Old 02-11-2013, 04:37 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,944,124 times
Quote:
Yeah! but going for a the donughnuts made of whole wheat flour is not a big deal, and especially when you are eating it once in a blue moon. Other than this to burn out your consumed fat one should have to work hard
Well the whole wheat doughnut is still a sugar-bomb, and thus horrible for you.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:47 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,832,451 times
Donuts - nutritionally poisonous. Dough made of refined flour, deep fried then dipped in sugar. Skip em.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
Quote:
Yeah! but going for a the donughnuts made of whole wheat flour is not a big deal, and especially when you are eating it once in a blue moon.
Whole-wheat flour in a donut makes little difference in its nutritive value, but I do agree that eating one donut once or twice a year is no reason to call the diet police.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,185,637 times
I have a donut once a week or maybe one every two weeks.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,003 times
You're asking why is it so difficult for some people. Do you really want to know why, or are you just asking rhetorically?
I am fat and have been overweight most of my life. I got down to a normal weight a couple times with diet and exercise, but the weight always came back and now I am heavier than I have ever been. I should have never dieted in the first place, because when I stopped restricting myself, I went too far the other way and lost all control. I never regained control.
I am not crazy about donuts, but wouldn't be too excited about Brad Pitt either.
I think all fat people struggle with the "Why?" question. I am currently in counseling for my problem. Why am I consistently behaving in a way that is self-destructive? There are deep-seated reasons that go back to my childhood, I am sure. Morbid obesity and regular old obesity are different from each other. They are both results of psychological and socio-economic factors, but the brain of a fat person IS different. Fat people need more food to experience pleasure than thin people. They can also detect smaller diluted concentrations of chocolate than thin people. Take a stressed-out, overworked, lower-income person who has a "fat person's brain," and then add that person being a "Supertaster" into the mix, and you have the perfect storm for obesity. "Supertasters" aren't always obese, but I really don't think it helps being one since it makes people sensitive to ALL tastes, including delicious, addictive tastes. The Supertaster connection is just speculation on my part, but the other factors I mentioned are cold hard science. You can google all this stuff in 5 minutes.
If you want to talk about sugar, then consider the following: Sugar can be addictive like cocaine. Put sugar and fat together, and it's like hog heaven. The food companies know this. They have ways of layering fat and sugar that act on a person's brain like a drug. A guy named Kessler wrote a book about it. I can't think of the name of the book at the moment.
I think that deep down you know all this. If you don't suffer from these problems, be thankful and maybe try to encourage one of your fat friends or coworkers. Ask them about their day....

Old 04-11-2015, 01:33 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,421,397 times
Thank you for bringing this older thread up.

1 donut =30 minutes in the gym...I don't eat sweets ever, but
it was a needed wake up call.

Get one injury where you can't walk for 4-5 months,
without limping....and geeze!

Old 04-11-2015, 09:52 PM

11,058 posts, read 6,009,331 times
Apparently sugar is eight times more addictive than cocaine! OK I'm not convinced of that one but you get the general idea. However, there is good news. One can retrain the brain and adopt a new eating lifestyle. Once the brain has been retrained the difference between a chocolate bar and piece of pooh becomes rather small. They are both crap. Why would anyone want to eat either? The bad news is that it's rather difficult! But it can be done.

I've heard the excuse that I will arrive at old age miserable for having missed out on some or other whatever that people like eating. Funny that, I'm a great-grandfather and no, I have not missed out on any food 'pleasures'. Get a life people, food is for surviving, not pleasure! I do enjoy a good plate of good food though but I don't write poems about it. None of my pleasant memories of life have anything to do with eating or food.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,055,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Apparently sugar is eight times more addictive than cocaine! OK I'm not convinced of that one but you get the general idea. However, there is good news. One can retrain the brain and adopt a new eating lifestyle. Once the brain has been retrained the difference between a chocolate bar and piece of pooh becomes rather small. They are both crap. Why would anyone want to eat either? The bad news is that it's rather difficult! But it can be done.

I've heard the excuse that I will arrive at old age miserable for having missed out on some or other whatever that people like eating. Funny that, I'm a great-grandfather and no, I have not missed out on any food 'pleasures'. Get a life people, food is for surviving, not pleasure! I do enjoy a good plate of good food though but I don't write poems about it. None of my pleasant memories of life have anything to do with eating or food.
That's the issue that most obese/overweight/fat people have....they associate food with pleasure. Its basic addiction...doesn't matter if it's food, cigarettes or alcohol, and any other number of addictive 'things'.. once you associate that 'thing' with pleasure, you're done for.

Just like true addicts, food addicts deny there is a problem and blame their weight on everything under the sun, but the food they are shoving in their pie hole. Just like true addicts, they want a quick fix...a pill or shake that will make them skinny overnight. Guess what?? You didn't get fat overnight, so you're not going to get skinny overnight. It will take time, hard work and dedication. It can be done.

Avoid fad diets...look into Weight Watchers...that's probably one the of best eating plans for a healthy lifestyle out there. Notice I didn't say diet...diet's dont' work. Pills don't work. Shakes don't work. What works is you getting off you getting daily exercise and limiting the calories you consume in a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss