Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:30 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,720,641 times

Advertisements

Smaller does not mean healthy or lower body fat percentage.

And you hair falls out, you can lose teeth, bone, develop permanent unfix-able malnutrition problems.

Being underfed is not healthier than overfed. It just results in different mass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,979,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
And part of HEALTH is losing weight.
Right, but not by starvation as the OP mentioned and is the topic of this thread. Eating HEALTHY and exercising is what is important, the weight loss is just a great byproduct of focusing on GETTING HEALTHY. Starving, not eating, undereating, skipping meals is NOT healthy.

I always tell people that they should LEARN PROPER NUTRITION while undergoing a rigorous exercise program. Learning how to fuel the body for health/weight loss is key. Weight WILL melt away with proper nutrition.

What the OP is talking about is dangerous and far from being healthy.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:45 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,720,641 times
I sometimes wonder if people quit exercise because the dietary intake doesn't support it. I know when cleaning up food types and getting into exercise...if I dropped below moderate to high healthy intake I was ZAPPED for energy. Absolutely dead. HaHa!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:50 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,979,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I sometimes wonder if people quit exercise because the dietary intake doesn't support it. I know when cleaning up food types and getting into exercise...if I dropped below moderate to high healthy intake I was ZAPPED for energy. Absolutely dead. HaHa!
Very good question. Another reason why I always talk about NUTRITION. I NEED to eat a certain way to support my exercise routines. If not, not only do I not have the energy to complete my workouts, but I feel tired and need naps.

My workouts are almost always results oriented from the exercise/routine as oppsed to results oriented from what the scale says. For this, proper nutrition is paramount.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
If you stop eating, you will lose weight. Just look at those commercials with the skinny African kids. Sure it may not be healthy, but if you stop eating you will lose a ton of weight.
Been there done that,...

Old 09-19-2011, 01:25 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,490,809 times
One time a few years ago, I was very depressed didn't eat hardly anything but a few pieces of fruit and water all week. Lost ten pounds. The minute I started eating right again, I gained it all back and then some.

Starving yourself really isn't the answer. You won't keep it off. It's a proven fact. Your body needs certain nutrients or it goes into starvation mode, everyone knows that I think.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:36 PM

240 posts, read 420,784 times
Quote:
If you stop eating, you will lose weight. Just look at those commercials with the skinny African kids. Sure it may not be healthy, but if you stop eating you will lose a ton of weight.

I know, that's what gets me. If this is true, then how come anorexics are thin as hell (they starve themselves to the point where they are BARELY eating anything at all) ?

I know when I eat less, I DO lose weight (that's what I'm doing now). I don't eat more than 2 meals and drink nothing but water for a snack. It helps. I have lost 7 lbs. so far.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:40 PM

240 posts, read 420,784 times
Quote:
Sometimes you just gotta take a risk. Besides, the health risks from obesity are worse.

I totally agree. Because some of us (like myself) cannot eat 4-7 small meals a day, like most "experts" tell us to. We just put on weight like crazy doing that crap!

Some of us only need 2 meals and just drink water all day to keep our weight down (it works for me. I have now lost 7 lbs., so far). I feel better too, have more energy, and don't feel bloated anymore since I cut down on my food intake.

It's much better than being obese and having those health risks, for sure.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:10 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
Eating fewer calories than your base metabolism needs should result in weight loss. Leave anorexia out of the discussion. That said, the reason that not eating doesn't work is that your body thinks you are trying to starve it, as Chickrae said, and goes into a mode of metabolism that keeps you from losing weight, and you are miserable besides. The trick is to keep your metabolism going.. that's the theory behind the more frequent, smaller meals (which are really just carefully chosen snacks, not meals) which works well for a lot of people. Keeping hydrated helps, because many people mistake thirst for hunger and eat something when a glass of water would do the trick. Doing anything extreme to lose weight does not work in the long run, the rebound weight gain is often more than what was lost in the first place.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:35 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,799,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Very interesting comment. Not that I doubt you, but do you have a link so I can read further?

As to the OP's point, I am not in favor of starvation, although I have read that some people fast one day a week to just sort of clear out their system or give their digestive system a rest.

I've lost 13.6 lbs since 8/5 so obviously I am not starving myself. I'm also not exercising. I should probably be eating more and more healthily than I am, but right now I'm too preoccupied with other things to think about this.

The OP is right in his assertion though. If you drastically cut down your food intake, you will lose weight.
Google "Starvation diet" for thousands of links of various relevance.

20% is nearly meaningless in practice since no one knows how many calories they are actually burning or how many they are actually consuming, it's a guideline with a safety parameter built in to ensure that, for example, athletes can reduce body fat but continue to train without losing strength or lean mass.

If you are on a severely calorie restricted diet (particularly if you are only eating once or twice each day) for as little as two or three days your body decides that food is scarce and it needs to take drastic measures. You would think that this means preferentially utilizing the energy stored in your fat, but if you bottom out your blood sugar (which is exactly what you're doing if you are not eating enough and not eating frequently) your body starts to cannibalize muscle and organ for the ketones and glycerol stores and it starts relative "fat conservation". Girls who starve themselves for weddings, spring break, etc. have a particular look to them because they are losing muscle. It's difficult to explain precisely, but I would call it the soft-bodied, unathletic look. You can stave that off with cardio, resistance training and eating properly.

Anyone can eat four to seven times per day. Get up early, eat a big breakfast with at least 30 grams of protein, take a granola bar and a container of greek yogurt with you to work for in-between meals, eat a lunch and eat a low-carb or whole-complex-carb dinner (e.g. salad).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss