Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:32 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
However, one does add muscle by "working out".
Having a more muscular body does burn more calories while at rest.
This is true but we're talking about 1% or so more calories burned metabolically just because a person has bigger muscles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 11:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Most ppl overeat because they dont listen to their body when it says it's full. They have no self control to stop at one portion. Don't blame the food..blame the person shoving it in theri pie hole.
Some people don't overeat. Do all the people who don't overeat simply have more willpower? Is a person's weight simply a reverse proportion to their willpower? The thinner a person is, the more willpower they have? Is that it?

It's all about wise choices, right?

So therefore, The boy on the left does not know the correct things to eat.
The boy on the right is conscious of his daily calories. When he is offered any treats, the first question he asks himself is "Will my pants feel tighter on me if I eat this?" He has learned to make wise choices.
The boy on the left makes unwise choices: He chooses cookies, brownies, ice cream, crackers, pizza, fried chicken, and butter.
The boy on the right wisely chooses and measures out 1/2 melon, 1 cup steamed broccoli, 6 ounces lean chicken, 2 cups lettuce, 6 ounces of skim milk, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, one slice of whole wheat bread with no butter, and light dressing. His snack is a measured 4 ounces of apple sauce and one slice of cheese. On weekends he may splurge and eat two strawberries. He has learned to make wise choices.
The boy on the left watches TV and video games
The boy on the right uses his stop watch to get 20-30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise on most days of the week. He measures his heart rate too. He has learned to make wise choices.
The boy on the left looks at a bowl of cookies and eats nine of them
The boy on the right looks at a bowl of cookies and walks away, realizing they will make him overweight. He has learned to make wise choices.
The boy on the left chews his food one time and then swallows.
The boy on the right chews his food 17 times then swallows because he knows it takes 20 minutes for his stomach to feel full. He has learned to make wise choices

Old 11-14-2011, 01:32 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Yes, thin ppl have more self control and will power when it comes to food.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:24 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,462 times
Of course some people doesn't need to manage their intake because they do it just fine naturally. But others don't have this naturally.
(i certainly don't, givven a mountain of chocolate chip cookies and I could eat myself to death like a hamster)
So for me it's about dicipline. Every time i go to the grocerie store I have to think to myself: "functional food. food has a function and that's why I need it. No BS, no extras. there is sustenance and there is trick-food for dummies."

And then whenever I'm discussing this in real life, and this never fails by the way, someone always tells me "but you have the genetics for it, bla bla bla" yeah right. I had a surgery to correct my tailbone, and had to stay away from working out for 3 months. gained slightly more than 30 lbs, how's that for genetics?
And still I'm a fit guy, 215lbs, 6'4, my chestsize is XXLarge and my waistline is medium or large depending on brand.

I would say it's easy to do, but hard to go through with. and again it gets back to dicipline. because it's so easy to slip and buy some piece of garbage chocolate from the vendormachine at work at 04:00 in the morning thinking "this sugar combined with the coffee might let me make it through hour 11 and 12 of this shift."

But that's when you have to push yourself to be a bigger man, and have the character to do what's good, and what's right. I've made a damned commitment to myself and I'll be darned if I can't even trust myself to keep up my end of bargains struck with myself.

So what do I think when I see aan overweight person?
You can go 10 lbs overweight I wouldn't even know if to count or see that.
20 and it's gonna be noticed if looked for but fine unless it's a short person.
30 and it's gonna start looking like a problem for a short person, and noticable for a tall one, time to do something about it unless you are fully ok with growing fat.
>60 comon! At this point people have seen that things have been out of line for a while, if they're still getting heavier after that, they should either be fine with it or do something drastic about it, but I'm sick and tired of fat people victimizing themselves as if somebody else did this to them, like it's superficial to look down on that lifestyle.

BUT is it really that superficial?
Think about it; growing obese takes tons of time, cash and eating, and is a product of the persons own choices(not counting obese kids here). That person does not care for living very long nor of the consequences that are likely to be the result of this in the future.
It is also typically a person who loves to indulge, and lack the ability to put any reasonable limits to this.
The weight itself is just a damned number on a scale. but the package that causes it is definatly anything but superficial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss